• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel bug incoming? Meltdown and Spectre exploits

Soldato
Cool, thanks for that. It's green. Does that mean that Intel do plan to release a new MCU for Ivy Bridge?

Absolutely nothing since 2014 (before that the last bios was 2012!) bios wise from Gigabyte for this board.
Yes, it's already released. Ivy Bridge says "Production" under "Production Status" and "0x1F" under "New Production MCU Rev". You can download it here (CPUID 306A9) if you wanna research how to inject it into your BIOS yourself.

Note there are other types of Ivy Bridge like Ivy Bridge-E, so this is only applicable for that CPUID.

Soldato
Yes, it's already released. Ivy Bridge says "Production" under "Production Status" and "0x1F" under "New Production MCU Rev". You can download it here (CPUID 306A9) if you wanna research how to inject it into your BIOS yourself.

Note there are other types of Ivy Bridge like Ivy Bridge-E, so this is only applicable for that CPUID.

3570k.

Any guide out there how inject the binary?

Soldato
It is rather poor that motherboard manufacturers are not providing BIOS updates for older models even though fixed microcode is available. All they have to do is inject the microcode into the last BIOS version and rerelease. Without this, end users have to roll their own, or resort to buying new hardware to ensure protection. Hmmm....

Soldato
I don't think either of those tools provides your actual CPUID. Use HWInfo64 to see, then check the PDF:

WUgyg2q.png

You can generally find the latest microcode files here.

Alternatively, if you are using UBU to update your AMI UEFI BIOS then it'll grab the latest version for you automatically anyway.

V F

V F

Soldato
It is rather poor that motherboard manufacturers are not providing BIOS updates for older models even though fixed microcode is available. All they have to do is inject the microcode into the last BIOS version and rerelease. Without this, end users have to roll their own, or resort to buying new hardware to ensure protection. Hmmm....

That’s the plan. How else will profits be made?

Soldato
Some what contradictory article claims new MCU's to come through windows update.
The Skylake one has been available for some time. Microsoft said the others would follow (Windows 10 only). This is a good solution for the typical, less technical, home user who doesn't want to mess with BIOS updates. This method is volatile though and so needs to load every time Windows boots.

Associate
I don't think either of those tools provides your actual CPUID. Use HWInfo64 to see, then check the PDF:

WUgyg2q.png

You can generally find the latest microcode files here.

Alternatively, if you are using UBU to update your AMI UEFI BIOS then it'll grab the latest version for you automatically anyway.

Apologies, only just saw your response, thanks for that, mines a 00206D7 and comes under Sandybridge server , even those its not listed in there .. hopefully !

Associate
I updated my Strix X99 motherboard to the 1902 Beta BIOS at the weekend. It seems to be stable so far with the previous overclock I had but I've only really done limited testing (couple of runs of cinebench / one run of 3dmark time spy). CPU scores actually seem identical as before. Weirdly my GPU score seemed a bit lower in time spy but I only did one run so might be margin of error (since I wouldn't expect that to be impacted ..)

Soldato
We've updated / patched all our systems now. Well, those with bios updates at least. Worst effected seems to be our SQL server. Quite noticeable degradation in performance.

Soldato
I updated my Strix X99 motherboard to the 1902 Beta BIOS at the weekend. It seems to be stable so far with the previous overclock I had but I've only really done limited testing (couple of runs of cinebench / one run of 3dmark time spy). CPU scores actually seem identical as before. Weirdly my GPU score seemed a bit lower in time spy but I only did one run so might be margin of error (since I wouldn't expect that to be impacted ..)
Strange, I lost 3% in all 3dmark CPU tests. I have a 5820K and Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion. I was using the microcode patch supplied through Windows Update for version 1709 rather than a BIOS update though.

The worst one was the Aida64 FPU VP8 test where I lost 25% performance.

Associate
Unless security is the issue I would not be worried about updating the bios. If it is only a gaming build I would prefer to go with more performance.
For most people though their gaming PC is also their main PC that they use for everything else as well

Man of Honour
For most people though their gaming PC is also their main PC that they use for everything else as well

Depends what your usage is - the main vulnerability for most home users to these attacks is the web-browser (although this could also include web-browsers in games, etc. that don't always render using the default system browser i.e. have their own webkit and java libraries - though most developers have stopped doing that due to the ongoing security considerations it requires).

Where they are real concerns is where you have other users able to login to a system i.e. virtual machines or VPS and/or externally serving data in a way that might be vulnerable to exploitation via buffer overruns, etc. such as some database systems.

On my gaming systems I've not even bothered with OS/BIOS patches against Meltdown, etc. as if a game update or mod, etc. is infected then these exploits are the least of my worries once something like that is already in (things like web browsers I've made such are patched with the latest mitigations).

EDIT: To be clear I'm not necessarily advocating this as a course of action.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom