• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

Man of Honour
I'm aware of that - as noted in some of my previous posts, but the kind of stuff Vince does makes a 13th gen or 14th gen desktop part unlikely to be in that application.

Server side I wouldn't touch a consumer grade desktop chip, you are spot on there... not least because of compatability and metrics when talking about VM estates. End user though we would likely be on 13/14th gen had we not moved. End user is generally also where the users will moan so dodged a bullet for sure.

Soldato
Problem is at the moment it seems even if you manually dial that in there is no guarantee that will be adhered to.

It’s the dynamic boost p-e-p core algorithm plus windows deciding what cores to use and when. Tis a silly system.

Man of Honour
turns out that hybrid might not have been quite ready :cry: - It will be fine lads.. worry not, we got this.

Soldato
turns out that hybrid might not have been quite ready :cry: - It will be fine lads.. worry not, we got this.

Intel engineers: The only viable solution to Ryzen is for us to strap together two CPU types in a very ropey way that we don’t fully understand, requiring considerable modifications to kernels.

Intel Brass: Great! Let’s overclock them to within an inch of their existence and get Microsoft involved.

Last edited:
Soldato
While we mostly consider silicon yield to mean "runs without errors", there are at least types of yield:
Functional yield: fail that you chip may not even turn on although you can usually fuse since parts off.

Parametric yield: functional yields are fine but your part may not reach clocks or power targets, both clock and power targets.

That's what we generally mean when we say silicon quality.

Is it possible that some of these Intel CPUs were just binned very laxly?

EDIT: that could be one way one person gets 1.6+V and another 1.4V at similar clocks.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Somewhere in Intel somebody is sitting there thinking "I hope nobody remembers the slide deck I put out on proven performance and innovation and the Ryzen / Epyc Glue..."

It looked something like this.... but this was just one of many!

Doesn't look so great now looking back at it does it :cry: That glue just happened to be one of the most brilliant interconnects made to date... an absolute engineering masterclass... Intel where is your glue... we need that special sauce.

Last edited:
Soldato
While we mostly consider silicon yield to mean "runs without errors", there are at least types of yield:
Functional yield: fail that you chip may not even turn on although you can usually fuse since parts off.

Parametric yield: functional yields are fine but your part may not reach clocks or power targets, both clock and power targets.

That's what we generally mean when we say silicon quality.

Is it possible that some of these Intel CPUs were just binned very laxly?

EDIT: that could be one way one person gets 1.6+V and another 1.4V at similar clocks.

The desktops from Intel usually are the lowest bin. IIRC the 2550K was the last desktop chip to get the higher quality bin. Occasionally some parts did seem to get higher quality silicon, like some of the week 27-8 4770k parts.

Associate
On Thurs 1st. Aug Intel will present their earnings report for Q2 2024. I wonder in the cc afterwards if anyone dare to ask their CFO what provisions have been made for the shipment of dud CPU's.

unlikely I suppose

Man of Honour

Not quite the opposite but I paired up one of the more expensive motherboards (Aorus Master) with a 14700K. Even if my CPU isn't affected, not showing any signs so far anyhow, I'm kind of tempted to change it for the 12 P core only Bartlett if that turns out to be a thing and competitive or faster. Although I'm also on the fence in terms of that I always bought this platform knowing it had limited upgrade path and likely to move it sideways to replace one of my other systems and upgrade my gaming PC once 15th gen was released.

Associate
Sorry to thread hi-jack a little,
Even at idle my 13900k is constantly flashing up that current/EDP current throttling is active in XTU. Thats with Intels new turbo boost power max limit and ICCmax setting.
Is anyone else getting that?

Man of Honour
Not quite the opposite but I paired up one of the more expensive motherboards (Aorus Master) with a 14700K. Even if my CPU isn't affected, not showing any signs so far anyhow, I'm kind of tempted to change it for the 12 P core only Bartlett if that turns out to be a thing and competitive or faster. Although I'm also on the fence in terms of that I always bought this platform knowing it had limited upgrade path and likely to move it sideways to replace one of my other systems and upgrade my gaming PC once 15th gen was released.

I still think you should stop resisting and step on over to the dark side... you know you want to!! There is nothing there for you anymore, jump ship while you still can fella... on a more serious note those P core only chips might actually be decent.

Soldato
I still think you should stop resisting and step on over to the dark side... you know you want to!! There is nothing there for you anymore, jump ship while you still can fella... on a more serious note those P core only chips might actually be decent.
They may be, but to be frank am not sure if I would trust them until they'd been out a year or so just to be sure for me to go Intel again.

Man of Honour

Nah - I don't buy AMD - although I do have 3x Zen 4 based systems here currently including the Lenovo Legion Go - but handhelds wise there isn't a choice currently and one of the other systems is for software testing.

Man of Honour
Nah - I don't buy AMD - although I do have 3x Zen 4 based systems here currently including the Lenovo Legion Go - but handhelds wise there isn't a choice currently and one of the other systems is for software testing.

That's the problem I recon you should!! I can't think of many applications these days where rocking Intel is kinda required. I mean there are likely some obscure ones out there like some old compilers etc but your missing out my man. Think of all the cool stuff you could play with like 3d v-cache and, and, stuff....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom