• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

It seems pretty clear from the numbers of failures from the people running these 24/7 Essentially the increased operating time is giving us insight into the future.
There's an ex-Intel person who sometimes post on AT:
And usually Intel run accelerated ageing tests:
No, this is obviously voltage induced stress that Intel was supposed to catch by running accelerated aging simulations in the racks. Here is how that works the design team (not the fab folks) design an aging simulation by running a power virus at elevated temps (~120C) and elevated voltages. This protocol should have exposed any issues related to the grotesque over-voltage that Intel has deployed in recent years in an attempt to stay competitive in benchmarks.

That leaves some possible scenarios:
- Raptorlake was rushed out so quickly they didn’t even have enough time to run the whole aging simulation: seems unlikely since it only takes 6-8 weeks
- The aging simulation is broken: how? The content should not have changed… the corners should be well above what is productized.
- They didn’t even bother running the aging simulation: that would be beyond irresponsible.
- They ran the simulation and found issues but just either ignored it due to time-to-market or competitive pressure, or management told the engineering team to swag an operating point where the issues wouldn’t crop up. Problem with that is the aging simulation is a statistical exercise: they likely wouldn’t have enough parts and rack time to re-verify at the actual swagged voltage: the entire point of the aging simulation is to go well beyond the actual points and tease out the errors without having to run millions of parts for months on end. Management must have known this and brought the part to market anyways.
That RPL was rushed is now in little doubt, but if the last scenario is anywhere to being close to what happened?

Well, that's like the "Intel fired their server validation team"* story: hard to believe.

Apparently Pat G will fix all this. However wasn't RPL on his watch? And for that matter wasn't he there in the Athlon days when Intel did all those antitrust OEM stuff - although maybe in a role without any say on that?

* truth seems to have been that the attempted to move them all one site and lost tons of personal with years of experience.

Last edited:
Don't Asus typically use the most aggressive default settings and are historically known for putting higher volts through their CPUs, which would presumably make this problem worse?
I've got an Asus z790-h which isn't a high end board but the defaults with MCE off and a 13700k seem reasonable.
1.35V single core 5400 and 1.3V holding 5300 on all cores in cinebench. Pulls 225w max at full load and sits at about 82c package temp with a custom loop.
I do more rendering than gaming but it's been boringly stable. Does need XMP2 to get 100% stability with 2 x 32 6600 cl32.

Applying the intel settings causes power and temps to increase and boost clocks to decrease.

From Intel, or from AMD? The latter is an obvious easy option unless you've already bought an intel based mobo.
Imagine you're a person who usually buys Intel, you're familiar with their CPUs. Your PC is old so you were planning to buy soon. Now you're told 13th and 14th gen are dodgy, unless you're going back to 12th gen you need to be looking at AMD. But you don't know AMD, so you'd need something like this to easily find the suitable AMD equivalent. In the meantime you're stuck in a holding pattern, waiting for upcoming AMD and Intel releases (and NVIDIA, and Windows 12 also maybe), and seeing whether issues get resolved and what gets recommended.

I was convinced I'd be upgrading to Intel's next offerings, so sold up and accidentally ended up with the current 5700X3D setup. Now, there is no chance in hell I'll be going Intel. There's no way to know their next chips aren't completely f'd too, and with how they have dealt with this issue (kept selling faulty chips), you'd have to be smoking crack to have any faith in them.
None of these companies are your friends, but you do expect some sort of decency.

Anyone got a take on that Frame Chasers guy

This guy is 151% Intel, spouting charismatic garbage, and at all times being against the 'AMDrop' he discovered in ARMA 3.

"Just delid your Intel Bro, I do a $1200hr consult, tech tube is over, just get the best Intel Processor bro, lisp lisp, Hardware Unboxed is literally the evil because they didn't use DDR 9000 CL 7 RAM when they compared AMD and Intel processors that time."

Last edited:
Not so sure. It could fall under some dodgy laws regarding false advertising etc.

As a customer I would want the correct codes as resale could be affected
Except if there were only about 10 or so and they were to become a collector's item:
Genuine never used Ryzen 9 9700X one of only 10 in the world, independently verified
I mean I have no idea why anyone would collect them, but someone probably would though.

Except if there were only about 10 or so and they were to become a collector's item:
Genuine never used Ryzen 9 9700X one of only 10 in the world, independently verified
I mean I have no idea why anyone would collect them, but someone probably would though.
Yes actually, could have been a very collectable item

This guy is 151% Intel, spouting charismatic garbage, and at all times being against the 'AMDrop' he discovered in ARMA 3.

"Just delid your Intel Bro, I do a $1200hr consult, tech tube is over, just get the best Intel Processor bro, lisp lisp, Hardware Unboxed is literally the evil because they didn't use DDR 9000 CL 7 RAM when they compared AMD and Intel processors that time."

Who?

Complete crayon muncher.

Complete crayon muncher.
Frame Chasers is largely a laughable meme outside of his Discord server. No one takes him seriously and is regarded as somewhat of a joke in the tech/overclocking scene.

Last edited:
Articles on r/hardware and this video which might be more digestible:

Apparently some boxes have a "typo" but they're pulling all the stock - i'm wondering if it's a similar issue to Intel.

"Under Spec" is Steve reaching a bit here, its what he thinks AMD mean by "didn't meet our expectations"

This was posted 4 days ago and since there have been pictures published of the typo on the IHS.

Articles on r/hardware and this video which might be more digestible:

Apparently some boxes have a "typo" but they're pulling all the stock - i'm wondering if it's a similar issue to Intel.
Yeah, saw that. Think i'll wait for more info as we will soon know. Doubt if anyone could fix Intel's prob in 2 weeks

"Under Spec" is Steve reaching a bit here, its what he thinks AMD mean by "didn't meet our expectations"

Did you watch the video? He didn't say they were under spec that's just the clickbait title. He talks about a previous gen launch where some cpus weren't meeting boost clocks, but goes on to say he doesn't know what the actual issue is with the 9k series.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom