• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

I was never happy with the 13th and 14th Intel Gen CPUs, they seem to run hot all the time, anyway I jumped ship from my old Intel i5 2500k (oldie but goldie ;) ) to AMD 7800X3D just after the BIOS update to reduce the cpu voltage to 1.3v for the 7800X3D. I could not be happier with my decision to go AMD, I game a lot so it was really no brainer, temps are super fine even with air cooler and everything just works period, what more can you ask for on EXPO 1 mode in BIOS. I've never seen a BSOD on this CPU.

Intel seems to be making their newer CPUs too complicated with not enough testing IMHO.

Anyway Intel need to do a lot more testing at engineering stage and remember the average user is not going to know all about how CPUs work with heat etc...They want it to work period without worrying about issues. In the very old days Intel CPUs were more or less bullet proof, not so much nowadays. My first Intel CPU was 486 back in 1989, how times have changed.

:)

Aside from the i9s which seem to use vastly more power and produce a lot more heat for relatively minor performance uplift I've not found the 13th or 14th gen too bad, unless you run Cinebench 24x7 :s

If it wasn't for this whole issue hanging over it I'd say the 14700K was one of the best CPUs out currently as it is rarely far off the top end CPUs at a lot less money and more tameable than the i9s, etc. and having a much better balance of performance than most other CPUs currently.

Aside from the i9s which seem to use vastly more power and produce a lot more heat for relatively minor performance uplift I've not found the 13th or 14th gen too bad, unless you run Cinebench 24x7 :s

If it wasn't for this whole issue hanging over it I'd say the 14700K was one of the best CPUs out currently as it is rarely far off the top end CPUs at a lot less money and more tameable than the i9s, etc. and having a much better balance of performance than most other CPUs currently.

Problem is very little performance improvement over the 13th Gen to 14th Gen and now no upgrade path without changing motherboard, unlike AM5 which has new CPUs around the corner and the following years to come, just more reasons why I was put off Intel on 14th Gen, let alone the issues Intel has in this thread..

for those who have a faulty CPU will a full refund be possible.
Intel Q2 2024 earnings pretty grim.

Last edited:
I think where AMD do disserve the brownie points is on power saving and lower tdps.
Intel on the other hand,not so much effort lol.
AMD is much more efficient at full load, but my 13900K rig (limited to 5.5 max boost) is better at idle / light load. It idles at like 10-15w. I don't think my 5800X3D has ever been that low.

AMD is much more efficient at full load, but my 13900K rig (limited to 5.5 max boost) is better at idle / light load. It idles at like 10-15w. I don't think my 5800X3D has ever been that low.

These CPUs are actually pretty nuts at idle - my 14700K with some power profile tweaks idles sub 2 watt:

kXPeFHh.png

Even with normal performance profile my 14700K idles around 4 watt - the Zen 4 CPUs I've got access to can't go below 5 watt due to the SoC power draw and that is with features disabled - nominally you are look at around 20 watt idle on them.

Kind of weird that in comparison gaming power draw is 70-150 watt whereas the 7800X3D rarely peaks much above 70 in gaming.

Must suck to work at Intel

* Couple generations of gaming CPUs are in a ********, management wants to do everything possible to avoid responsibility, while gamers have crashing systems.

* Intel is now being sued in a class action

* Intel continues to lose marketshare to AMD; latest financials came out poor and missed analysts expectations.

* Share price in freefall on above news ^^

* Desperate to improve its financials, management has decided to fire 20% of employees

extended warranty by 2 years on 13/14th gen.

Getting in before the Gamernexus beat down.

:D

bgxo4ju904gd1.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom