• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

That's not how I read it... The jist for me was it would be a decent alternative in all areas if it wasn't fundamentally broken. Which I actually think is a fair assesment.

fair enough but it doesnt matter if the product is good if have a concern over it and intel not saying much to give any confidence in the matter, or when this micro update is released and year or 2 later no more reports of failing , will intel ever give update that will give insurance wont be long term issues ?

Last edited:
This is a total mess isn't it. I'm this really just a big issue for the higher end cpu's? I'm guessing most people like me with a 13600k are fine?

This is a total mess isn't it. I'm this really just a big issue for the higher end cpu's? I'm guessing most people like me with a 13600k are fine?

maybe being the lower power one less likely ?, maybe we'll never know and see how many years they last

0qdbYvc.png

Last edited:
He's actually by far and a long way the lowest paid of the three ^^^^

Is anyone else also struggling to keep up with all of this? Steve does his best to deconstruct it all but wow...
Watching this, looks to be very revealing of extremely shading practice. Am a fan of these GN exposés, they go into decent depth.

Last edited:
That's not how I read it... The jist for me was it would be a decent alternative in all areas if it wasn't fundamentally broken. Which I actually think is a fair assesment.

If it wasn't for this problem is certainly the line of thought I was going with.

The way things are going is going to shake confidence in Intel though even if they do fix it, or the problem was more batch related, etc.

So my processor (Purchased new December 2022 13900K) is away with the retailer for RMA as Intel had not gotten back to me for 5 days. Haven't heard from the retailer yet on replacement, however I have since heard from Intel who gave me some motherboard settings (the ones I was already using as of the July microcode update Asus Z790 extreme 0204) then when I confirmed that I got the following reply.

Hope you are doing great.
Thank you for sharing the details.
Please let us know if the settings resolved the issue or you want us to proceed with warranty.
We would like to inform you that mostly you will be receiving the same model as a replacement,

So I've asked them to confirm what the warranty situation will be going forward. As in will the 3 years start again from delivery of a new processor or will it just be the remainder of my three years.

If the microcode updates significantly impact performance (I strongly suspect they will) I'll be up **** creek with my motherboard and ramm thanks to this. Who the hell will buy a motherboard on a dead platform with only faulty processors available for it? I saved for years to buy this rig and It's been a complete s*** show. Absolutely fuming!

Wow, I had wrongly assumed that Reddit forums had no affiliation with products.

Oh, the Reddit mods are nuts. Many of them are far more affiliated to either companies or their own delusions of power than people realise. Most subs on there you can’t post anything even vaguely critical.

Oh, the Reddit mods are nuts. Many of them are far more affiliated to either companies or their own delusions of power than people realise. Most subs on there you can’t post anything even vaguely critical.
Shows how naïve I am! Own delusions is aside, there is probably significant money changing hands between senior reddit staff and products to 'moderate' their forums to promote a positive company image, and remove anything negative.

I'm watching the stock fairly closely, gotta be almost buy time, soon they will be paying me to buy shares!!

Down 26% for the day to $21.48 with just a tiny 0.5% bounce after hours. It's going to be an interesting week financially for them but I don't think it'll break the company. However, it will make it an attractive stock for speculators looking for a large potential rebound by Q1 '25 once the changes take effect.

Down 26% for the day to $21.48 with just a tiny 0.5% bounce after hours. It's going to be an interesting week financially for them but I don't think it'll break the company. However, it will make it an attractive stock for speculators looking for a large potential rebound by Q1 '25 once the changes take effect.
The last significant dip in their share price was in Sept/Oct 2022, IDK what the cause was.
Their are rumoured to be 15,000 layoffs or 'chopping the wood' as the ceo refers to. What a derogatory way to refer to people.

Obviously this whole issue puts a shadow over the 14700K, future upgrade potential is vague and not the most optimistic but that is a whole another topic really as it doesn't look like AMD is exactly pulling out the stops on their side as things stand - 9000 series look like iterative updates which Intel may reflect with Bartlett CPUs - though that might change further down the line both platforms will be outdated by that point. I also find the situation with PCI-e 5.0 provisioning pretty woeful.

But that aside with the 14700K you've got a CPU in the price tier of the 7800X3D but hangs with the 7950X(3D) chips for application performance and for higher resolution, higher settings gaming is generally within margin of error of the X3D chips for performance despite their lead at 1080p and below. When you look at whole system power consumption it is rarely more than 100 watt higher and against the 7950X(3D) chips often not much more than 30 watt in it (despite the headlines due to the difference in power consumption of the CPUs themselves). Likewise it puts in a fairly good showing against the 14900K while being considerably cheaper and usually quite a bit lower power use/heat.

People get so carried away with the headlines on these chips they don't take a closer look at the 14700.

EDIT: Also the way things are looking with these mitigations the 14900K is basically going to turn into a glorified 14700 after performance decreases :s while most 14700s probably won't really lose out.

Jump into the Zen pool, the water is amazballz.

You see it all over - on the one hand many people have already decided the magnitude and root cause of this problem despite nothing having been proven yet on the other hand have some people denying there is a problem at all.

You see it all over - on the one hand many people have already decided the magnitude and root cause of this problem despite nothing having been proven yet on the other hand have some people denying there is a problem at all.

We know the root cause. Intels strategy is fundamentally flawed and the company has now painted itself into a corner. Until Intel find a new design and node to build on it’s all about pushing Ponte Vecchio into the market. This situation isn’t a surprise, we all seen it coming and predicted the ringbus+mesh plan would end in failure or in performance regression.

We know the root cause. Intels strategy is fundamentally flawed and the company has now painted itself into a corner. Until Intel find a new design and node to build on it’s all about pushing Ponte Vecchio into the market. This situation isn’t a surprise, we all seen it coming and predicted the ringbus+mesh plan would end in failure or in performance regression.

These symptoms aren't consistent with ring bus failure, a failure at the ring stop(s) maybe, if this was a ring bus degradation you'd be lucky to even boot into Windows even with slight degradation. People have convinced themselves of all kinds of stuff with this failure which is not proven yet.

Looks like Throwing power and pushing clocks to stay competitive has caught up

These symptoms aren't consistent with ring bus failure, a failure at the ring stop(s) maybe, if this was a ring bus degradation you'd be lucky to even boot into Windows even with slight degradation. People have convinced themselves of all kinds of stuff with this failure which is not proven yet.

The cause is Intels strategy. You seem to have convinced yourself otherwise over time.

Back
Top Bottom