• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

If purely gaming, even then its main benefits are at 1080p which outside of e-sports people aren't likely to be running paired with a GPU like the 4090. (There are the odd title where it still is way out ahead at 1440p but then some it doesn't do so well so swings and roundabouts a bit).

For anything else there are better CPUs out there.

The main benefits are numerous aren’t they.

The main benefits are numerous aren’t they.

It gets curb stomped at anything productivity wise even by much cheaper CPUs - even the 3 year old 12700K can keep up with it for anything outside of gaming while not hideously slower for higher resolution gaming.

It gets curb stomped at anything productivity wise even by much cheaper CPUs - even the 3 year old 12700K can keep up with it for anything outside of gaming while not hideously slower for higher resolution gaming.

Feeling better yet? It’s a great chip, sublime in fact.

Last edited:
Now you’re talking honestly, how do you really feel about the 7700 non X?

Now? I've been posting facts :cry:.

I think it is time some people got their information from somewhere other than trash tech tuber channels :s

Now? I've been posting facts :cry:.

I think it is time some people got their information from somewhere other than trash tech tuber channels :s

According to you the 7800X3D is not really worth it for gaming, gets ROLF stomped at everything else and has little benefits in other metric, yet in a random out of blue post you recommend the 7700 non X for gaming at 3.7 megapixels paired with a RTX 4090, a chip the 7800X3D would comfortably ROLF stomp at the same power.

According to you the 7800X3D is not really worth it for gaming, gets ROLF stomped at everything else and has little benefits in other metric, yet in a random out of blue post you recommend the 7700 non X for gaming at 3.7 megapixels paired with a RTX 4090, a chip the 7800X3D would comfortably ROLF stomp at the same power.

If you actually read back the posts leading up to mine - I wasn't making a recommendation - it was commentary that for gaming if people have reasonably recent CPUs as mentioned like the 12700 that you don't really gain much upgrading to anything currently.

The 7800X3D is considerably overhyped though in my opinion even purely gaming, unless doing e-sports 1080p high refresh stuff, its gains are at resolutions and settings which most people won't be running when paired up with something like a 4080/7900 or 4090, and can't stretch its legs at lower resolutions when paired up with slower GPUs, while it falls well behind when it comes to anything non-gaming.

Here for example is another source showing a typical gaming scenario at 1440P:

LCwVP98.png

5800X3D looking good on that chart :D We have all seen this already and the X3D's will likely last longer than those 13th/14th Intels which might actually be dead before the platform itself.

If purely gaming, even then its main benefits are at 1080p which outside of e-sports people aren't likely to be running paired with a GPU like the 4090. (There are the odd title where it still is way out ahead at 1440p but then some it doesn't do so well so swings and roundabouts a bit).

Yes for purely gaming it's the best and close to £300 nothing beats it , 1440p it can show , future GPU upgrade it will be in a better place to show it more
I dont think its over hyped its gaming king whilst sipping on power

Last edited:
I am looking at upgrading from my current intel (4930k) to a newer platform, I was considering Intel, but I think for price to performance i'll go AMD.
The question is, I will be doing quite a bit of virtualisation on my PC when not gaming so I was wondering for that use case if the Ryzen 9 7800X3D would be worthwhile for the extra cores/threads?

I am looking at upgrading from my current intel (4930k) to a newer platform, I was considering Intel, but I think for price to performance i'll go AMD.
The question is, I will be doing quite a bit of virtualisation on my PC when not gaming so I was wondering for that use case if the Ryzen 9 7800X3D would be worthwhile for the extra cores/threads?

If you are doing VM 'stuff' then the more cores the merrier, what was your budget if going Intel? A 7900X or 9900X maybe be on the cards is gaming isn't your main thing. Or the 7900X3D which is sometimes the same price as the non-X3Dpart.

Last edited:
If you are doing VM 'stuff' then the more cores the merrier, what was your budget if going Intel? A 7900X or 9900X maybe be on the cards is gaming isn't your main thing. Or the 7900X3D which is sometimes the same price as the non-X3Dpart.
Mainly some VMware stuff to brush up on it outside of work, probably around 6-8 VMs with small workloads. But outside of that I will use it for gaming 75% of the time.
My Budget overall is around £1,500.

But I already have the following: PSU, Case, Fans etc... I just need the hardware, and a GPU.

Hmm... no this makes no sense, the 7800X3D is the 4090 of the CPU world only it costs equivalent to a 4070.

People like it so much because you don't need to be 4090 owning rich to afford the best gaming CPU, can you imagine this thing if it was branded Intel? You're talking about it being over hyped Intel never miss a trick in over hyping anything, it would be given a ridiculous name, ridiculous packaging and a ridiculous price.

AMD gave it a simple but clever name, added some cool yellow highlights to the box art and gave it a very sensible price, people who keep trying to remind people that AMD are no different to Intel keep forgetting they already make some cool stuff that dominates but they don't seem to be letting it get to their heads.

For anyone who are still set on going Intel, used prices are heading in the right direction lately.

13900k being sold for less than £300 and 14900k for less than £400.

Back
Top Bottom