• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

I wonder what share price the US government has set to start buying them up :o

They'll need to act on it soon if this continues, though it seems to have bottomed out for the moment.

Those issues seem reason enough to cause deep investor consternation, but perhaps Intel’s stock decline would’ve been even worse if not for a key factor the company has working in its favor: Investors may have a sense that the company will be safe in the end despite its challenges, thanks to Intel’s standing as a domestic chip manufacturer at a time when governments are interested in propping up local players in the chip market.

“In other circumstances we believe we would now be having ‘going concern’ conversations with clients,” Bernstein’s Stacy Rasgon wrote in a note to clients. “To that end (and perhaps the one positive), subsidies and partner contributions, when combined with spending cuts and dividend suspension look set to add ~$40 billion of incremental cash to the company’s balance sheet through the end of 2025, suggesting Intel will survive (in some form) to continue the fight.”

Feeling better yet? It’s a great chip, sublime in fact.

FFS, either post some facts refuting what Rroff said and the table that he posted or shut up!

You are the one reducing it to the level of puerile name calling - exactly like Donald Trump who you seem to despise, so why are you acting exactly like him? :confused:

Last edited:
No, the AMD users are the smart ones who saw this coming ;)
To be fair, I don't think it was unreasonable to expect the CPUs would not be broken.

The high power draw is not a good sign, but there have been a lot of unusually high power draw CPUs and they were fine (or at least, I don't remember them dropping like flies). Intel's Presler or AMD's FX CPUs didn't die on mass, for example, though they liked killing motherboards :o

To be fair, I don't think it was unreasonable to expect the CPUs would not be broken.

The high power draw is not a good sign, but there have been a lot of unusually high power draw CPUs and they were fine (or at least, I don't remember them dropping like flies). Intel's Presler or AMD's FX CPUs didn't die on mass, for example, though they liked killing motherboards :o

Even ignoring the other design choices, pushing 250 watts through a tiny die at 95c is not good.

Even ignoring the other design choices, pushing 250 watts through a tiny die at 95c is not good.
Yeah, but my point is that Intel doesn't have a history of mass CPU death that would lead a regular buyer to think it won't survive.

E.g. rocket lake was notoriously power hungry and the 12900K is a power hungry CPU too, but if you got one on release, they're probably still alive. You can't say the same about 13th-14th gen.

Yeah, but my point is that Intel doesn't have a history of mass CPU death that would lead a regular buyer to think it won't survive.

E.g. rocket lake was notoriously power hungry and the 12900K is a power hungry CPU too, but if you got one on release, they're probably still alive. You can't say the same about 13th-14th gen.

Not as power hungry as the later chips and on a more substantial die. It’s probably worth noting that Intel have delayed and cancelled quite a number chips. Intel have some very odd parts off roadmap in limited numbers shipped to only selected partners which begs questions.

Last edited:

We still don't know the full extent of these failures there are a couple of places claiming very high failure rates but there are loads of similar places who are silent on the matter which seems unlikely if they were seeing that level of failure especially in light of it becoming news and some who are saying only very low levels of failure - higher than normal but still low.

People have got caught up in the hysteria but there is still a lot of unknowns and/or possibilities.

The big question is has the market got a wind of something. If this has uncovered a node related issue or alike, then it could be a longer term issue and potentially very bad.

While past Intel CPUs were no specific reason to avoid Raptor Lake, the high power was.

The earlier distraction about gaming performance of the 3D CPUs surely missed the most important metric:
Lows and minimum FPS.
For most CPU limited gaming average FPS has and continues to be a mostly worthless metric.
In the TPU reviews, the minimums page is the relevant one.
And the individual scores there show anything from a huge lead for Mount & Blade to the occasional ones where Raptor Lake is ahead like Age of Empire.

Sure some Raptor Lake SKUs are cheaper - but not the 14700K - and even for productivity not everything gets along with E cores.

And the individual scores there show anything from a huge lead for Mount & Blade to the occasional ones where Raptor Lake is ahead like Age of Empire.
The individual scores are very important to the buying decision in some circumstances, even at higher resolutions, since there's nothing that can produce the kind of leads that the X3D can when that cache is being utilised.

I agree about the importance of the minimums too.

The big question is has the market got a wind of something. If this has uncovered a node related issue or alike, then it could be a longer term issue and potentially very bad.
I'd be surprised. I think suspending a dividend is like a red rag to short-term investors even without anything else happening, especially when it comes with bad news in regard to the losses and the wider context of a tech shares slide. Loss of confidence in the leadership to address the problems is more serious than the engineering issues, in my opinion and the noises don't seem great about how Intel have been handling this behind the scenes.

People have got caught up in the hysteria but there is still a lot of unknowns and/or possibilities.
I wasn't saying that every CPU would fail, just that you couldn't be blamed (as a regular buyer) for having a general expectation based on previous CPUs that it is unlikely to die prematurely if not excessively overclocked.

Last edited:
Oh now i get ya... :D

I mean I don't want you to lose money and of course buy low - but what a state Intel us in now. Still they can't go any lower, surely.
They are down another $1 or 5% pre market today but 2027 - who knows :)

Accelerators, accelerators, accelerators! Pat rips shirt off and runs around Intel HQ screaming VMware for everyone with a million dollars!

To be fair, the chap has done about as well as anyone probably could. Intel was run into the ground by accountants under Bob Swan. It’s going to take time to undo the mess at Intel as clearly the cupboards were left bare and desperate measures needed.

You guys laugh, I'm already a solid 66 cents a share down!! So you can all laugh at me later... bought in at $20.16. In all likelihood its only worth the 16 cents... doh!!

Oh and never take financial advice from an idiot.. it won't end well!!

Last edited:
You guys laugh, I'm already a solid 66 cents a share down!! So you can all laugh at me later... bought in at $20.16. In all likelihood its only worth the 16 cents... doh!!

I think you'll be fine in the short-term, I'd say the losses aren't Intel related at this point, just the market/tech market in general :)

you'll be fine.

trust me, i'm a compulsive liar.

don't look now but AMD is up $6.50

Last edited:
you'll be fine.

trust me, i'm a compulsive liar.

don't look now but AMD is up $6.50

Yea I'm in all the tech companies tbh qualcomm been killing it recently had some 65% gains in them in the last 12 months or so... otherwise most stuff is looking kinda grim. AMD on the bounce after a bit of a shaky weekend. But yea amd has always been a decent hold.

I even bought into crowdstrike on the disastrous news... glutton for punishment me!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom