• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

It amazes me that Intel keep handling this about as badly as they possibly can. Hopefully the lawsuit hits them hard and the reputational damage forces them to change in future.

I won't be recommending an Intel cpu to anyone regardless of whether this issue affects them or not.

One thing I think some people are overlooking - there is a national security angle for the US with Intel along with wider economy/financial implications - they'll almost certainly be propped up if it comes to it in a way other companies wouldn't. Which may be part of why they are in the mess they are.

Umm, he clearly doesn't know the history very well, it is a lovely idea that these genius entrepreneurs created everything all on their lonesome, but it is not actually true. Not that I like the idea of throwing Intel billions of $$$ while they fire 15,000+ people either.

Umm, he clearly doesn't know the history very well, it is a lovely idea that these genius entrepreneurs created everything all on their lonesome, but it is not actually true. Not that I like the idea of throwing Intel billions of $$$ while they fire 15,000+ people either.

True, though the counter side of that is correct in that more often than not when it isn't their money at risk people/companies tend to become fat and lazy.

Intel 13/14 gen is way overpriced, AMD is undercutting them on all fronts. It's no wonder intel diy/retail market is dead, especially with the chips killing themselves.

Have you actually looked at the price and performance spread? outside of maybe pure gaming there is no clear winner. At the lower end of medium range the 14600K is generally faster than closely priced AMD CPUs, the 14700 is rarely that far behind the much more expensive 7950 CPUs except some specific tasks. When speccing approx. equivalent motherboards for each the AMD ones at the moment are slightly more expensive as well so whole system costs often are a more complicated story.

Have you actually looked at the price and performance spread? outside of maybe pure gaming there is no clear winner. At the lower end of medium range the 14600K is generally faster than closely priced AMD CPUs, the 14700 is rarely that far behind the much more expensive 7950 CPUs except some specific tasks. When speccing approx. equivalent motherboards for each the AMD ones at the moment are slightly more expensive as well so whole system costs often are a more complicated story.

Inside, outside even upside down, the winner is very clear.

unstable chips on a dead platform, right

7950X: £510
14900K: £520

7900X: £360
14700K: £380

7700X: £300
14600K: £290

Pricing is quite even tho i would argue the 7950X and 7900X are better CPU's, the 14600K is better for productivity.

What Intel don't have is a gaming Halo CPU.

7800X3D: £330, it is the fastest gaming CPU there is, its very reasonably priced and it sips power, its insanely efficient.

From my perspective i wouldn't buy any of these Intel CPU's anyway, because of the hybrid architecture, its still not without its problems, these are still games that don't like them or you have to make adjustments to make them run games as well as they should.

With all that said the main problem with them is....

unstable chips on a dead platform, right

Last edited:
Outside of everything i think what puts people off them, and there is no getting around it people who buy these for their custom PC are put off by this, power consumption. People don't want them because they draw an enormous amount of power, that's problematic for people.
Intel seem to think people don't care about this, that they only care about outright performance, they don't, people care quite a lot about power consumption, Zen 2 didn't have that outright performance, but they were very efficient, those are the ones where Intel started loosing chunks of market share, a lot of people bought them because while they didn't have the top tier performance they sipped power.

Last edited:
7950X: £510
14900K: £520

7900X: £360
14700K: £380

7700X: £300
14600K: £290

Pricing is quite even tho i would argue the 7950X and 7900X are better CPU's, the 14600K is better for productivity.

What Intel don't have is a gaming Halo CPU.

7800X3D: £330, it is the fastest gaming CPU there is, its very reasonably priced and it sips power, its insanely efficient.

From my perspective i wouldn't buy any of these Intel CPU's anyway, because of the hybrid architecture, its still not without its problems, these are still games that don't like them or you have to make adjustments to make them run games as well as they should.

With all that said the main problem with them is....

On the face of it, but once you add the extra cost of case, PSU and cooling etc not so much.

On the face of it, but once you add the extra cost of case, PSU and cooling etc not so much.

That is a good point actually, again its power, reviewers use £200 AIO's to get the most out of them and show them in the best light, people see that and think well the 7950X runs fine on a £40 tower cooler, you also need a step up in PSU, a fat case with lots of fans, and expensive motherboard so it doesn't boil its VRMs....

They also look at the RAM kits they use, like well that's a £300 kit, no thanks...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom