• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

I wasn't saying that every CPU would fail, just that you couldn't be blamed (as a regular buyer) for having a general expectation based on previous CPUs that it is unlikely to die prematurely if not excessively overclocked.

Was meaning in a more general sense - a lot of people seem to be convinced all/most of these CPUs are going to prematurely die but it is far from determined yet whether it is the case or not.

Was meaning in a more general sense - a lot of people seem to be convinced all/most of these CPUs are going to prematurely die but it is far from determined yet whether it is the case or not.

That's why it would be great if intel gave more details and gave confidence to customers about it, until then of course customers won't be convinced

Yea I'm in all the tech companies tbh qualcomm been killing it recently had some 65% gains in them in the last 12 months or so... otherwise most stuff is looking kinda grim. AMD on the bounce after a bit of a shaky weekend. But yea amd has always been a decent hold.

I even bought into crowdstrike on the disastrous news... glutton for punishment me!!

Got in on AMD at £1.90 luck more than judgement.

Like every other company who thinks they've won and gotten so monumentally ahead of the competition... it fatigued itself and got fat.
Deleted for unnecessary drunk comment. It was not directed at you Strider,it was something very different.

Last edited:
If you actually read back the posts leading up to mine - I wasn't making a recommendation - it was commentary that for gaming if people have reasonably recent CPUs as mentioned like the 12700 that you don't really gain much upgrading to anything currently.

The 7800X3D is considerably overhyped though in my opinion even purely gaming, unless doing e-sports 1080p high refresh stuff, its gains are at resolutions and settings which most people won't be running when paired up with something like a 4080/7900 or 4090, and can't stretch its legs at lower resolutions when paired up with slower GPUs, while it falls well behind when it comes to anything non-gaming.

Here for example is another source showing a typical gaming scenario at 1440P:

LCwVP98.png
There are quite a few games that are still bottlenecked by the CPU no matter the resolution. Games such as Rust and Escape from Tarkov benefit greatly from the X3D parts.

A Dutch site has done some before and after benchmarks with the new Intel "default" settings and they are seeing around an 8-9% performance loss on the 14900K.

There are quite a few games that are still bottlenecked by the CPU no matter the resolution. Games such as Rust and Escape from Tarkov benefit greatly from the X3D parts.

There are some games where nothing can touch the X3D cache even to an extent at higher resolution but it is a fairly small number of titles IIRC that includes MS Flight Simulator, EfT is an odd one in that on many setups the 7800X3D is faster up to a point then suddenly the i9s take over at higher resolution (fingers pointed at poor coding optimisations), don't know much about Rust.

The X3D chips can do quite well on some older games that are lacking optimisation as well, though often the higher end 13th and 14th gen can brute force though those as well.

Last edited:
Add DayZ to that too.. from 5700X to 5800X3D there is a notable difference for me, especially lows.. i never see below 90fps now (usually locked to 120fps everywhere on any map) even with Extreme settings and Medium Hardware AA.

So glad i did this upgrade :)

A Dutch site has done some before and after benchmarks with the new Intel "default" settings and they are seeing around an 8-9% performance loss on the 14900K.

Nice gains in efficiency though!

Very similar to HardwareLuxx's results:

The big difference being that HardwareLuxx had the courage to publish their benchmarks on 24th of April while everyone else was afraid of offending Intel!

Last edited:
This issue doesn’t seem to have cut through at all yet in terms of the intel share price in financial reports which are more focused on the issues facing the sector, monopolies etc. If Intel did a general recall then that might have a bigger impact (and even more negative impact on shares) hence why it won’t unless it absolutely has to. Beyond enthusiast forums and so on it’s doubtful potential degradation will really make headlines it seems to the general computer user.

This issue doesn’t seem to have cut through at all yet in terms of the intel share price in financial reports which are more focused on the issues facing the sector, monopolies etc. If Intel did a general recall then that might have a bigger impact (and even more negative impact on shares) hence why it won’t unless it absolutely has to. Beyond enthusiast forums and so on it’s doubtful potential degradation will really make headlines it seems to the general computer user.
Financial markets, hedge funds, stock markets are all rife with vested interests, dodgy deals an corruption. It's the norm worldwide. Regulation is impossible. ATM we have a simulated US recession lol. However, the bottom line counts so when you see a company post bad outlook forcast you know things are bad. Intel has some of the best 'creative accoutants' but the 'bottom line' is flashing red and there isn't a quick fix and it's got to the stage where it can't be hidden anymore.
IMHO manipulation will ensure that large financial instituions will not lose out on Intel's falling SP. They will hedge / short - ugrade / downgrade to protect their interest. But make no mistake Intel's financial situation is getting dire (even with state funding).
Lots more to come . . . . . .
interesting times

ZX48k Oh, Iremember it well :)

Last edited:
Intel's financial situation is getting dire (even with state funding).

One thing I think some people are overlooking - there is a national security angle for the US with Intel along with wider economy/financial implications - they'll almost certainly be propped up if it comes to it in a way other companies wouldn't. Which may be part of why they are in the mess they are.

One thing I think some people are overlooking - there is a national security angle for the US with Intel along with wider economy/financial implications - they'll almost certainly be propped up if it comes to it in a way other companies wouldn't. Which may be part of why they are in the mess they are.
the world and his dog know about Intel's state funding but IMHO when push gets to shove it becomes more about US chip production. Chip design - will that also be Intel? If it is then it will have to be good.

Inclined to agree.
Even with ultra light regulation if Intel gets bailed out it will be for the fabs - or at minimum one condition would be to totally split the fabs.

Last edited:
Add DayZ to that too.. from 5700X to 5800X3D there is a notable difference for me, especially lows.. i never see below 90fps now (usually locked to 120fps everywhere on any map) even with Extreme settings and Medium Hardware AA.

So glad i did this upgrade :)
And Stellaris, fortresscraft evolved,

Back
Top Bottom