• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

new big problem guys

The new microcode BIOS doesn't fix the voltage issues if you don't use the Intel Default Profile. If you use any other settings like motherboard default or your own custom settings, then the VID tables will go back to requesting crazy voltages

So when people claim the new microcode doesn't reduce performance, that's because the new microcode doesn't work unless you use the Intel Default profile, which of course does reduce performance

Buildzoid highlight's that there's an issue with this board and processor and I dont think he says anything about other boards.

Anything outside the Intel default profile is now on the motherboard vendor's to fix if other profiles are casusing issues as motherboard vendors have been lucky as they dodged a lot of the accountability during this though they've been doing shady stuff going way back to the z490 boards and I'm sure they have done the same on AMD as one recent instance is their chips blowing up.

Brain is using the bios'es CPU voltage setting to determine when the CPU voltage enters a unsafe setting which is above 1.296 with his board. My MSI board the voltage will go all the way up to 1.490 before it goes red so had he had a MSI board his 13900K would have been fine?

The microcode fix should cap the voltage from going over 1.5 volts with Brian's 13900K it's hitting a max of 1.412 which seems fine to me.

Last edited:
the new micorcode reduces the voltage requested by the cpu. Depending on what your using your pc for and colling a 13700k should be able to be locked to 5.5Ghz all core at a very safe voltage and then there is no need to worry about the cpu requesting extreme voltages
I'm mainly using my pc for editing images in lightroom, web browsing and gaming. All of my system is under water, and cooled by a MO-RA 420, so that's not a issue. I've just seen that the microcode is now available for my strix z790 e, so I'll look to update the bios soon. I'm actually happy to just keep it at the stock frequency, as I don't feel the need to push 5.5ghz on all cores personally, but it's nice to know regardless - thanks for your help :)

I'm mainly using my pc for editing images in lightroom, web browsing and gaming. All of my system is under water, and cooled by a MO-RA 420, so that's not a issue. I've just seen that the microcode is now available for my strix z790 e, so I'll look to update the bios soon. I'm actually happy to just keep it at the stock frequency, as I don't feel the need to push 5.5ghz on all cores personally, but it's nice to know regardless - thanks for your help :)
if you want the new microcode to work you will need to use ' Intel Default Profile' as mentioned above

Buildzoid highlight's that there's an issue with this board and processor and I dont think he says anything about other boards.

Anything outside the Intel default profile is now on the motherboard vendor's to fix if other profiles are casusing issues as motherboard vendors have been lucky as they dodged a lot of the accountability during this though they've been doing shady stuff going way back to the z490 boards and I'm sure they have done the same on AMD as one recent instance is their chips blowing up.

Brain is using the bios'es CPU voltage setting to determine when the CPU voltage enters a unsafe setting which is above 1.296 with his board. My MSI board the voltage will go all the way up to 1.490 before it goes red so had he had a MSI board his 13900K would have been fine?

The microcode fix should cap the voltage from going over 1.5 volts with Brian's 13900K it's hitting a max of 1.412 which seems fine to me.

Fully agree. It's on the mobo vendors now to update their other profiles to align with the specs. Setting a voltage cap in the other profiles isn't hard. Maybe these being beta bios, they'll update them for official release but then again, it's GB....

I have no idea what Brian is thinking. Just a false premise to build a video from. This is by far the worst video on the subject lol

Last edited:
I know the issue doesn't affect my 12600 but MSI still hasn't released a update for my Z690 Edge. The last bios was back in April!!
There's me waiting for the 0x129 for my Pro Z690-A as the latest bios is a beta 7D25v1I1 released on the 23/7/24 and I checked the z690 edge and that sucks as I thought the higher end boards where getting the bios updates first and the edge is way more feature/spec wise than my z690-A. :confused:

I take it you need to pay postage in some form or another every time you do this?

As i understand it everytime you send it to Intel for RMA you pay for postage, if not they charge you return postage if they reject the RMA, so Intel telling their customers to keep trying over and over again if at first they don't succeed is rather cynical, its like: We will accept the RMA but only after its cost you a significant fanatical penalty for daring to complain.

I did not think about that - yer thats pretty poor when you think about it - Intel really do need to get their act together over this one really...

Stelly

I did not think about that - yer thats pretty poor when you think about it - Intel really do need to get their act together over this one really...

Stelly

That info is wrong, as I have posted a few pages back.

If the CPU is a retail (Boxed) CPU then Intel collects and replaces the CPU FoC via DHL Express, if it's an OEM / Tray CPU then the warranty is between you and the retailer and that is often why they come with a shorter warranty.

I have a friend who's just built a system with a 14700k and an Asus TUF motherboard (not sure of specific model) - He's updated the BIOS to the latest, but is there any other steps he should take to mitigate the issue?
(Sorry, I haven't looked in to this issue as I've been an AMD user for years and cba to read 1100+ posts :p ) TIA

Edit: ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PRO

Last edited:
but is there any other steps he should take to mitigate the issue?
Yes, send it back for a refund! lol.

I think the best thing is to make sure he using 1 of the Intel profiles\default settings in the bios that caps the power. There was a video posted earlier that showed if not using 1 of these the cpu can still get too much voltage.

Edit, posted at the top of this page

Last edited:
I hate reading this thread, makes me think my 13900k is going to implode at any moment :(

Although its been nothing but perfectly stable, I just wish there was a way to know for certain if there was any damage or deterioration.

Out of interest, could anyone explain the differences between the intel performance and the extreme profiles? (Asus board)

Do these Intel 13th and 14th Gen CPU issues affect laptop CPUs too or are they lower power (even if they have names like 14600, 14700,etc.)?

According to Intel yes, but also no.....

Guess, flip a coin.

Intel is aware of a small number of instability reports on Intel Core 13th/14th Gen mobile processors. Based on our in-depth analysis of the reported Intel Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processor instability issues, Intel has determined that mobile products are not exposed to the same issue.

The symptoms being reported on 13th/14th Gen mobile systems – including system hangs and crashes – are common symptoms stemming from a broad range of potential software and hardware issues. As always, if users are experiencing issues with their Intel-powered laptops we encourage them to reach out to the system manufacturer for further assistance.

- Intel via Digital Trends

Do these Intel 13th and 14th Gen CPU issues affect laptop CPUs too or are they lower power (even if they have names like 14600, 14700,etc.)?

Some are claiming some laptop CPUs are affected - there are 2 different versions of the laptop silicon I can't remember details off the top of my head.

EDIT: This was posted to Reddit recently claiming they weren't seeing elevated returns on laptops despite one company claiming some HX parts were failing: https://www.xmg.gg/en/news-update-intel-core-cpus-laptops-stability/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom