• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

You don’t say.

The way you wrote it sounded like you thought SOGA (a defunct law) which is inapplicable anyway, would eventually hold intel to account... work on your scentence structure! :D

The sale of goods act would be more useful, but technically Intel didn’t sell you the anything as you are a customer of Intel customer. Intel would eventually get held accountable if found in breach, but not anytime soon.

Well no! It doesn't.. SOGA, now the consumer rights act specifically deals with the contract between the consumer and the retailer.
Not to be confused with manufacturer warranty, manufacturer RMA, etc.

Well no! It doesn't.. SOGA, now the consumer rights act specifically deals with the contract between the consumer and the retailer.
Not to be confused with manufacturer warranty, manufacturer RMA, etc.

Well yes it does, but whatever, it’s up to Intel how this pans out long term.

How much is this effecting the 13 series, if that is answerable? My 13700k is undervolted already, so I'm thinking I'll just update to the bios that band aids this when it is out of beta, and not worry about it.

Last edited:
How much is this effecting the 13 series, if that is answerable? My 13700k is undervolted already, so I'm thinking I'll just update to the bios that band aids this when it is out of beta, and not worry about it.

Unclear if undervolting may make much difference one of, not yet clear if main reason, the problems is incorrect voltage X frequency X temperature behaviour which can result in elevated voltage situations even at lower voltages and/or the CPU doesn't have to be "hot".

Unclear if undervolting may make much difference one of, not yet clear if main reason, the problems is incorrect voltage X frequency X temperature behaviour which can result in elevated voltage situations even at lower voltages and/or the CPU doesn't have to be "hot".

Then I guess I'll just hope I don't see the degradation and that things don't start acting up and it can go back under warranty if it does degrade. Puts me off them for my next upgrade, whenever that may be. (Though quite frankly, nowadays they all feel as bad as each other anyway, it's just who gets caught out).

Then I guess I'll just hope I don't see the degradation and that things don't start acting up and it can go back under warranty if it does degrade. Puts me off them for my next upgrade, whenever that may be. (Though quite frankly, nowadays they all feel as bad as each other anyway, it's just who gets caught out).

I don't think it is really answerable how much it is affecting the 13th gen - it has mostly kicked off around the 14900s, reports on the 13th gen are sporadic and inconsistent.

I don't know anyone out of my immediate friends and family with 13th or 14th gen who've been affected, on these and other forums there are a small number of people with 13700Ks who've had problems but most of those weren't even stable out the box and probably affected by the via oxidation issue or the other known instability issue.

From my wider acquaintances there are people who deal with 100s of these systems who've seen some failures but nothing like the claims from certain companies - more in the region of 3-5%, at least so far, rather than the 50+% some are claiming.

Last edited:
I assume it is the same on all vendors but Buildzoid experimenting on Gigabyte found that if you disable Intel Default settings then the new microcode voltage behaviour gets disabled and it reverts to incorrect voltage behaviour like prior microcode :s

new big problem guys

The new microcode BIOS doesn't fix the voltage issues if you don't use the Intel Default Profile. If you use any other settings like motherboard default or your own custom settings, then the VID tables will go back to requesting crazy voltages

So when people claim the new microcode doesn't reduce performance, that's because the new microcode doesn't work unless you use the Intel Default profile, which of course does reduce performance

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I haven't read all of the thread, so can someone explain in lay terms if the microcode fix, is actually a fix for raptor lake, or is it just a band aid approach? I haven't yet updated my BIOS from the last one, as I don't think Asus has released the microcode for my Strix z790 yet. This whole thing is
a mess tbh, and I'm gutted I didn't go with an 7950x3d when I had the chance. Using the intel deafult profile just makes my 13700k under perform.

new big problem guys

The new microcode BIOS doesn't fix the voltage issues if you don't use the Intel Default Profile. If you use any other settings like motherboard default or your own custom settings, then the VID tables will go back to requesting crazy voltages

So when people claim the new microcode doesn't reduce performance, that's because the new microcode doesn't work unless you use the Intel Default profile, which of course does reduce performance
Somehow I expected them to pull something like this. Then they could use warranty exclusion "you overclocked" on any damaged CPU, claiming they know that for a fact as on their profile it wouldn't happen etc. :p

I haven't read all of the thread, so can someone explain in lay terms if the microcode fix, is actually a fix for raptor lake, or is it just a band aid approach?
Nobody can answer that outside Intel, as nobody has proper testing hardware available to eventually test the fix in laboratory. Everyone else will have to wait and see. It's not even clear if what the microcode fixes is the actual root cause of all such issues or just one of them, etc. Also, can we trust a word of a company which tried to hide these issues from the public for 2 years?

Last edited:
Nobody can answer that outside Intel, as nobody has proper testing hardware available to eventually test the fix in laboratory. Everyone else will have to wait and see. It's not even clear if what the microcode fixes is the actual root cause of all such issues or just one of them, etc. Also, can we trust a word of a company which tried to hide these issues from the public for 2 years?
Thanks for the heads up - much appreciated. Think I'll have to start looking across the room at AMD, and think about ditching the Intel platform I'm on. Right now what with the mobo, cpu & ram - it feels like an expensive mistake, as I can see my current gear is about to become worthless very quickly. With that said the intel system so far has run fine, and no problems with crashing with cinebench or games, but it just feels like a matter of time.

I haven't read all of the thread, so can someone explain in lay terms if the microcode fix, is actually a fix for raptor lake, or is it just a band aid approach? I haven't yet updated my BIOS from the last one, as I don't think Asus has released the microcode for my Strix z790 yet. This whole thing is
a mess tbh, and I'm gutted I didn't go with an 7950x3d when I had the chance. Using the intel deafult profile just makes my 13700k under perform.
the new micorcode reduces the voltage requested by the cpu. Depending on what your using your pc for and colling a 13700k should be able to be locked to 5.5Ghz all core at a very safe voltage and then there is no need to worry about the cpu requesting extreme voltages

new big problem guys

So we cant even set XMP ?

Back
Top Bottom