• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

I still pick the ps above all of the above. Really love the eco system, ease of use, trophies, everything. Still have a steam deck and great pc but the ps is what's plugged into my expensive TV and amp. Will be buying the pro and the inevitable ps6.

The wife is currently using it to play erdtree dlc. She has platinumed all the souls series for me. :)
Wildly off topic sorry. But does anyone know how to connect a Philips hue bulb to the TV? I have an ambilight TV but it just won't see the bulb (trying with Bluetooth) Sorry for off topic,but it saves opening another thread.

I obviously don't have numbers but I would bet even chips with contact frames are degrading, if it is making a difference I'd say it's extremely minor. But I'm no expert :P

I've not had any issues at all with my 13900k, any idea what exactly you can do to test if its on its way to becoming a dud?
Most of the complaints are from running Cinebench or Unreal 5 games. If you have an early manufactured CPU, there's a suspicion they're not affected, but nothing is confirmed.

Most of the complaints are from running Cinebench or Unreal 5 games. If you have an early manufactured CPU, there's a suspicion they're not affected, but nothing is confirmed.

Bought mine on release so hopefully an early batch if it is that case. Though that doesn't cover the 13th gen having similar problems.

EDIT: Maybe related but looks like the average for 13900 chips is almost 100mv higher VID than 14900 parts, and later batches of 14th gen are averaging again about 100mv higher VID.

Last edited:
I bought on release, they are affected, degraded my second cpu on cinebench, sure of it now I've been reading all this stuff.

I bought on release, they are affected, degraded my second cpu on cinebench, sure of it now I've been reading all this stuff.
Do you mean the KS in your sig? A KS might not count as being early manufacture, because they're released after the other K CPUs? I don't know what dates we're supposed to be looking for specifically though.

The thing is people like Jaz2cents keep calling Cinebench "an unrealistic synthetic benchmark", its not synthetic, its Maxon Cinema 4D, its a creative tool, saying its synthetic is like saying Blender is synthetic, its the same thing so if ones CPU can't handle that then its broken, it was only a matter of time before other applications used the same extensions in the same way, it just so happened that this was games and Intel can't pass that off as "an unrealistic synthetic benchmark" you see Jay thinks this because that's what Intel told him and he's too clueless to know any better in order to push back on that.

This only going to get worse as more and more software becomes more and more modern.

Last edited:
Ah okay, yeah I'm on my third KS. SP of the other two were lower than my current one.
Afaik what I read was (early manufacture) 2022 or early 2023, but I can't find the thread now. The year is the first number, so X214 would be 2022 and the second two are the week, which would be April.

Last edited:
Afaik what I read was (early manufacture) 2022 or early 2023, but I can't find the thread now. The year is the first number, so X214 would be 2022 and the second two are the week, which would be April.
My current one is X249L595P

Got a pic of one of the dud ones with X247J604 on the cpu itself

Last edited:
Are we 100% sure this isn't the unlimited power draw that is causing this? The argument against this is that 'Enterprise boards' have had the same issue. Yet, the one board they give an example of has had the same microcode / profile updates that all the Z790 boards have. Link here to the ASUS W680 Wendell uses as his example. W680 BIOS Release notes

As we can see:

"1. Introduce the ""Performance Preferences"" with options for Intel Default Settings (Performance/Extreme) and ASUS Advanced OC Profile.
2. Redefine the factory defaults based on Intel’s new ""Intel Default Settings"" for various CPU SKUs.
3. Change F5 from ""Load Optimized Defaults"" to ""Reset to Defaults"".
4. Add warnings when users switch from the defaults to other settings.

Furthermore, looking in the BIOS manual for that motherboard (W680) there are the same overclocking and AI tweaker settings so they can't be wildy different from consumer boards.

When he talked about servers failing with 13th/14th gen CPU's he said that the DC engineers "Were not sure if the problems were now fixed". To me I am super sceptical of a hardware issue and unless its categorically proven I will remain that way.

Obviously if mine fails I will become a believer but I've only ever run it at stock (inc an undervolt) with recommended intel settings (not default bios ones).

Last edited:
Furthermore, looking in the BIOS manual for that motherboard (W680) there are the same overclocking and AI tweaker settings so they can't be wildy different from consumer boards.
It did seem to be (from the way he talked) that he was just assuming that W680 was ran 100% at stock and there were incorrect assumptions made by other news outlets too about what W680 can actually do. It is true that Supermicro usually use the Intel defaults, but W680 as a chipset does not have any restrictions and as you have noted, can overclock both the CPU and the memory.

Are we 100% sure this isn't the unlimited power draw that is causing this?
We're not 100% sure of anything, both voltage and power draw being the cause are just speculation.

It's a weird thought that a processor can die. I have literally never had a processor die on me, even the Williamette and Northwood Celerons I abused while learning how to overclock.

Obviously this isn't user error but it's just such an alien concept to me, cpu has always been the last part I have assumed isn't working.

It's a weird thought that a processor can die.
Yeah, it does seem to be a lot more common with modern CPUs, it was like 0.001% would die in-situ before 11th gen / Ryzen. I definitely would think twice before buying a tray/1 year warranty CPU instead of a boxed one, whereas I'd have no concern about that before.

Back
Top Bottom