• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

Soldato
Consoles are in steep decline, they are going out of fashion, Microsoft are giving up entirely.

AMD have cancelled high end RDNA 4 i think to free up supply for APU's, Laptop makers have been telling AMD for years machines with your APU's sell and sell very well, people want them, but you're not supplying them, in the last 6 moths AMD have been saying, loudly we hear you, we are fixing that.
AMD have switched priorities, no one gives a _____ about AMD GPU's that much is obvious, took AMD way too long to learn that IMO but they have now, now they are concentrating on the products people do want, at _____ last!

AMD laptop share is only at around 20% of the market. Thought it was much more. But it shows how capacity constrained they are considering how efficient their CPUs are.

Thought they would have used Samsung already for some of their CPUs.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The problem with consoles is modern Laptop's and now Handhelds, and Steam, frankly i'm surprised the idea of plugging a box in to your TV to play games lasted as long as it has, the PS5 Pro may be the end of an era, the last of its kind.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The problem with consoles is modern Laptop's and now Handhelds, and Steam, frankly i'm surprised the idea of plugging a box in to your TV to play games lasted as long as it has, the PS5 Pro may be the end of an era, the last of its kind.

More chance of me winning the euromillions tonight than Sony not releasing a new console, ps6 will likely have already been in the design phase not long after ps5 launched.

Last edited:
Associate
I still pick the ps above all of the above. Really love the eco system, ease of use, trophies, everything. Still have a steam deck and great pc but the ps is what's plugged into my expensive TV and amp. Will be buying the pro and the inevitable ps6.

The wife is currently using it to play erdtree dlc. She has platinumed all the souls series for me. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I still pick the ps above all of the above. Really love the eco system, ease of use, trophies, everything. Still have a steam deck and great pc but the ps is what's plugged into my expensive TV and amp. Will be buying the pro and the inevitable ps6

Eco system aside - the Lenovo Legion Go has broken consoles for me - the ability to use it for gaming in a console fashion, or flip stand out, controllers off as a convenient PC or tablet, etc. is just so useful. It also is credible for desktop performance limited to a 5 watt TDP.

Associate
Eco system aside - the Lenovo Legion Go has broken consoles for me - the ability to use it for gaming in a console fashion, or flip stand out, controllers off as a convenient PC or tablet, etc. is just so useful. It also is credible for desktop performance limited to a 5 watt TDP.
Yes I get that. Steam deck is also brilliant, (the fact it doubles up as an amazing remote play device helps a lot) but for me and imagine a lot of others PSN has a huge amount to offer. Maybe it's because I have grown up with it, I don't really know. Never really got on with Xbox despite buying each one, watch it collect dust and selling it on.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes I get that. Steam deck is also brilliant, (the fact it doubles up as an amazing remote play device helps a lot) but for me and imagine a lot of others PSN has a huge amount to offer. Maybe it's because I have grown up with it, I don't really know. Never really got on with Xbox despite buying each one, watch it collect dust and selling it on.

I just realised you are responding to posts by people I have on ignore, I'm missing a bit of the context.

Associate
I just realised you are responding to posts by people I have on ignore, I'm missing a bit of the context.
Ah no worries. Not sure who you have on ignore. Was just talk about consoles being in decline (not sure that's the case with Sony as they have already sold 60 million) and whether Sony would release a ps6 and how handhelds and laptops etc would prevent them from doing so.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Consoles are in steep decline, they are going out of fashion, Microsoft are giving up entirely.

AMD have cancelled high end RDNA 4 i think to free up supply for APU's, Laptop makers have been telling AMD for years machines with your APU's sell and sell very well, people want them, but you're not supplying them, in the last 6 moths AMD have been saying, loudly we hear you, we are fixing that.
AMD have switched priorities, no one gives a _____ about AMD GPU's that much is obvious, took AMD way too long to learn that IMO but they have now, now they are concentrating on the products people do want, at _____ last!
Consoles going out of fashion? I don't think Nintendo read that memo.

Games make consoles, Nintendo knows this and delivers banger after banger.Xbox and the PS5 have a dearth of exclusive titles showing of what can be done with the new hardware as they choose to continue support older hardware.

Caporegime
Consoles going out of fashion? I don't think Nintendo read that memo.

Games make consoles, Nintendo knows this and delivers banger after banger.Xbox and the PS5 have a dearth of exclusive titles showing of what can be done with the new hardware as they choose to continue support older hardware.

Man of Honour
I didn't know about these cpus:

Reckon they'll start offering these out?

edit: just realised the expected release date is q3 25.. lol
The leak says that only the P-Core exclusive CPUs are a new die, the other CPUs are alder lake or raptor lake dies, so if there is an updated stepping which fixes the issues then I don't see why they couldn't swap them out before these CPUs launch (if they do ever launch). That'd be assuming Intel have already identified what needs fixing and are churning them already, which doesn't seem likely at this point :o

Associate
I'm certainly not an expert on any of this stuff,but is this maybe because Intel has had to push the clocks so high to try to keep up with AMD,that their CPUS are literally burning out? If so that is really crazy.

Soldato
Just had a re-design to start dealing with this morning as one of the clients I work with had a cancellation on a project based on this being brought up, they were non-K 13900 and 14900 based systems, the obvious answer was to drop to 13700 or 14700, but they don't want the risk of recalling all of the systems at a cost of £100k's from across the globe once fully deployed.

Given how much the delay is going to cost them, they obviously feel very strongly about it, as there is no way the new design will be finished, tested, and built in the original time frame. It looks like its either going to be 12th Gen, or switch to AMD.

Associate
Is this a genuinely serious post?

There's a reason why consoles are so popular - you are literally plug and play. Handhelds are to hold in your hand, a laptop is essentially still a PC - so it might well be portable and easy to plug into a TV but you still have to fiddle with settings to get the best experience.

I totally understand this is a more PC centred forum but surely we're not so blind that we can't see why consoles are so popular and why they'll continue to be popular? Some people want a simple device to play games on, they don't want to faff with settings and drivers and shader cache, they want to buy a game and press play.

That's not going to stop anytime soon...

Man of Honour
Hmm, interesting, though wouldn't that mean there should be no faulty CPUs wherever someone used a correctly installed contact frame?

If that is the problem, Intel would have to change the mounting mechanism on every 1700 motherboard that has been sold, or provide a retrofit kit.

Edit: there are posters in the comments who say they used one and still have the issues.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm, interesting, though wouldn't that mean there should be no faulty CPUs wherever someone used a correctly installed contact frame?

If that is the problem, Intel would have to change the mounting mechanism on every 1700 motherboard that has been sold, or provide a retrofit kit.

Edit: there are posters in the comments who say they used one and still have the issues.
I use a thermalright contract frame on my 7800x3d (with deepcool copper thermal paste guard for good measure) and have a intel frame in the draw if needed.

Soldato
I doubt the mounting issue is behind failing 13th/14th gen, read the comments on that video there are some pretty good reasons why it wouldn't be that.

But obvs mounting sucks so they should overhaul it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom