• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Soldato
Nice, but since my CPU never seems to reach 100% utilisation with what I do, I've just left my at standard along with the lower temps/less cooling etc.

Even though its not at 100% usage doesn't mean the cpu is not holding the rest of your system back, depending on the gpu you have and games you play obviously. When I swapped my 4790K for a 5600x my fps went up dramatically, even with my aging Vega56!

Soldato
Even though its not at 100% usage doesn't mean the cpu is not holding the rest of your system back, depending on the gpu you have and games you play obviously. When I swapped my 4790K for a 5600x my fps went up dramatically, even with my aging Vega56!
Maybe so but for the titles I've played I can see - I have a stand alone 7" monitor showing my 8 cores usage/temps + gpu usage etc - that I'm never anywhere near 100% usage. The only compromise I've had to make so far is reducing graphics detail when the GPU can't cut the mustard, but nothing significant there especially as I'm still on a 1070!

Note also, I run at VSYNC 60fps, so I don't care if I could run at 60fps or 200fps ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Well, it looks like 4.6GHz is the sweet spot for me. Tried 4.7GHz up to 1.26v, but P95 keeps falling over. Not worth going any higher with vCore I don't think. Strangely enough, IBT was fine with 1.2v.

I'll probably just run at 4.5GHz as standard.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've finally upgraded to a 7700x after 8 years of my trusty 4790k. It was mostly holding 60fps at 4k but it was feeling its age. I moved to an LG oled C2 and the VRR pretty much cured this.

Now I've upgraded my platform I'm absolutely basking in rock solid fps and high minimums. Its glorious.

I'm testing my pc on a 60hz screen to eradicate the recent gsync addition

If you've not got VRR them that will help but Ready or Not for instance would drop well below 60fps on my 3070 at 4k showing less than 100%usage. Now it's glorious even at 60hz. I'm lucky in that I can appreciate 120hz but going to 60 again doesn't bother me (probably because I'm used to stuttering vsync 60)

I was nervous that my performance wouldn't benefit that much but everything is smooth as butter now, even GTAV which could be fine one day and not the next.

Was it worth £725??? Absolutely, to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've finally upgraded to a 7700x after 8 years of my trusty 4790k. It was mostly holding 60fps at 4k but it was feeling its age. I moved to an LG oled C2 and the VRR pretty much cured this.

Now I've upgraded my platform I'm absolutely basking in rock solid for and high minimums. Its glorious.

I'm testing my pc on a 60hz screen to eradicate the recent gsync addition

If you've not got VRR them that will help but Ready or Not for instance would drop well below 60fps on my 3070 at 4k showing less than 100%usage. Now its glorious even at 60fps. I'm lucky in that I can appreciate 120hz but going to 60 again doesn't bother me (,probably because I'm used to stuttering vsync 60)

I was nervous that my performance wouldn't benefit that muc but everything is smooth as butter now, even GTAV which could be fine one day and not the next.

Was it worth £725??? Absolutely, to me.
This is interesting for me...I'm still on a 4770K which is clocked at 4.3Ghz (and has been for 12 years!), and I'm considering a very similar upgrade.

Soldato
This is interesting for me...I'm still on a 4770K which is clocked at 4.3Ghz (and has been for 12 years!), and I'm considering a very similar upgrade.

It's time to let go of your nine year old CPU. I was thinking of holding out for the 5800x3d but I think it will be silly expensive and I don't have the GPU to make the most of it seeing that I game at 4k.

I'll probably do the equivalent of what AM4 peeps have being doing this time round and go best last CPU available to B650

Last edited:
Soldato
It's time to let go of your nine year old CPU. I was thinking of holding out for the 5800x3d but I think it will be silly expensive and I don't have the GPU to make the most of it seeing that I game at 4k.

I'll probably do the equivalent of what AM4 peeps have being doing this time round and go best last CPU available to B650
I'm going to get a 7600X I think, and then potentially upgrade it to 7800X3D later down the line. I game at 1440P and don't play the latest titles typically, so I'm not looking for a mega powerful system, just something I can keep for another ~10 years (with the odd GPU upgrade thrown in).

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to get a 7600X I think, and then potentially upgrade it to 7800X3D later down the line. I game at 1440P and don't play the latest titles typically, so I'm not looking for a mega powerful system, just something I can keep for another ~10 years (with the odd GPU upgrade thrown in).
Sorry I meant the 7800x3d. I was going to go for the 7600x an possibly go for the 7800x3d later but I just couldn't bear to wait 8 years and only get a 6 core. I'm hoping that 8 core will have some more longevity. If not I just enjoy knowing they exist and I can run opentrack, discord, antimicro, Firefox etc without being affected

Back
Top Bottom