• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Soldato
OP
Really??
This is stock btw, it's using 1.36v and temps on 1 R15 run is mid 70s (custom water....yeah right!!)

Something not right there.

Did you default your bios after installation?

My default volt is 1.2v something, 1.28v is good for 4.6Ghz and temps around 68c. 1.35v is good for 4.8Ghz and temps in high 70's/80's depending on bench.

You should be getting much better temps on proper water setup.

Soldato
Really??
This is stock btw, it's using 1.36v and temps on 1 R15 run is mid 70s (custom water....yeah right!!)

Wow! I am using 1.296v according to cpu-z, voltage auto controlled @4.8Ghz

Temps mid 70's also. That is with wPrime, so admittedly not a like for like.

I do have pics, but imageshack seems not to be uploading them for some reason.

Soldato
4.9 @1.4v.
Bios was set to auto for stock and for some strange reason thought it would be hilarious to put 1.36v through it.

Will boot @5Ghz 1.4v but wont pass anything even with 1.45v.

cache @4.4 and memory is 2400mhz loose, so score will increase for comparison my 4770k @4.9 was 1001cb
eqCu1Mn.jpg

Soldato
Wont boot to windows at anything higher than a 48x multi. Guess I can fiddle around at some point and see if I can hit the magic 5Ghz just for the epeen lol. Probably run it @4.6 day to day, although the temp difference and voltage between 4.6 and 4.8 seems the same according to cpu-z. Will need to investigate further with hwinfo later.

I would say 70% happy thus far.

Jus to add that is with leaving everything on auto and just changing the multi.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wont boot to windows at anything higher than a 48x multi. Guess I can fiddle around at some point and see if I can hit the magic 5Ghz just for the epeen lol. Probably run it @4.6 day to day, although the temp difference and voltage between 4.6 and 4.8 seems the same according to cpu-z. Will need to investigate further with hwinfo later.

I would say 70% happy thus far.

That's a shame, i've got an OEM chip coming next week (whenever they come out) so will swap this one round with that and see which is best. Either keep for a second system or some lucky so and so gets it cheap on the MM :D

I'm 93% unhappy, on the bases i had a perfectly capable 4770k and 'got bored' so sold everything waiting for HW-E fell for the hype surrounding these and splashed my dosh :D

Soldato
OP
I'm 93% unhappy, on the bases i had a perfectly capable 4770k and 'got bored' so sold everything waiting for HW-E fell for the hype surrounding these and splashed my dosh :D

Haha, I'm the opposite, glad I built this Z97 build, 100% happy with Z97 + 4790K, but worried HW-E may prove to tempting anyway and I'll build an E system as well :o

I need to disconnect the internet around HW-E launch :p Must resist !

Really liking this chip, cool and quiet @ stock and stable for benchies @ 4.8Ghz, can't complain at that imho.

Gonna reformat and chuck on W8.1.

Associate
I bought mine yesterday for my new rig. Gonna be putting it together with my GTX 780 Ti on my Asus Z97-Pro.

Can anyone recommend me some good cooling and thermal paste if I wanna OC it to 4.8GHz? It'll be my first time OCing, so I'm a total novice.

Soldato
H105 working well. temps on stock are 29c. I'll get to a little oc soon enough. I just been blinging my PC all day. Wins 8 install putting my PC back to the way it was takes awhile.

Have you posted any more updates on your project log thread, been reading that with interest :).

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
PC done. pic's up in a hour or so. It looks bad ass. Best PC I've ever built

Nice one :)

Will do, its sitting on my desk now. But got a party to go to tonight, likely sunday before i get it fitted. Cooling is high end air, alpenfohn k2 with x2 corsair PWM sp 2350 rpm fans.

When real life gets in the way of PC :p Interesting to see your overclocking results. I'm sure someone can get 5Ghz on high end air / water.

Caporegime
Aunt and uncles 60th wedding anniversary, so should be a good night. Getting some mx4 paste tomorrow evening but ill be a bit hungover tomorrow night. Temps on theese look good so far. Bit voltage hungry though for anything above 4.5 ono.

Back
Top Bottom