• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel i9-10X processor availablity?

Permabanned
*speculation*

AMD will do a big Navi with the RDNA2 architecture on 7nm+, it will surpass RTX 2080TI by 20% but nVidia will move to 7nm+ themselves and come right back at AMD with an even faster card.

You know what, that's fine by me, AMD don't have to do to nVdia what they did to Intel, they just have to get back to being competitive.

Remember that the RX 5700 XT is already on par with GTX 1080 Ti, and measures only 250 mm^2.

Soldato
*speculation*

AMD will do a big Navi with the RDNA2 architecture on 7nm+, it will surpass RTX 2080TI by 20% but nVidia will move to 7nm+ themselves and come right back at AMD with an even faster card.

You know what, that's fine by me, AMD don't have to do to nVdia what they did to Intel, they just have to get back to being competitive.
The frustration is AMD could drop a 5800 XT right now and match, even beat, the 2080 on RDNA 1. TSMC have been producing big 7nm GPU dies for well over a year and Navi is scalable, so it's not like there's any technical issue preventing the bigger cards from landing (power draw maybe?). The 5700 XT is only a 40 CU part and TSMC could easily produce something bigger with, say, 48 or 56 CUs. Hell, Radeon 7 was EOLed to make room for such a card (we all know it was only ever a marketing stunt and stopgap)

But AMD won't make it because they won't shift TSMC's capacity away from EPYC (and now clearly Threadripper). How much ranting, raving and frustration have we seen from members here about the lack of 3900X and 3950X stock? Well given EPYC and Threadripper are plentiful, it's obvious where the best chiplets are being allocated. But we'd get the same levels of frustration - even more so - if the 5800 XT is announced with 56 CUs, wipes the floor with the 2080 Super but Gibbo has to resort to grey market tactics just to stock 10 of them.

So it does look like we're waiting until 7nm+/6nm production ramps up for Zen 3 before we see anything else from Navi/RDNA 1. That does suggest though AMD could stay competitive with Turing with RDNA 1 and keep up the fight with RDNA 2 when Nvidia release their next arch. Nvidia milking Turing and TSMC focussing on CPUs might actually play to AMD's advantage - Nvidia are in no rush to release a 7nm product and the longer they wait the sooner Zen 3 comes out which frees up 7nm resource.

But anyway, back to the paper launch of Intel's latest embarrassment...

Caporegime
The frustration is AMD could drop a 5800 XT right now and match, even beat, the 2080 on RDNA 1. TSMC have been producing big 7nm GPU dies for well over a year and Navi is scalable, so it's not like there's any technical issue preventing the bigger cards from landing (power draw maybe?). The 5700 XT is only a 40 CU part and TSMC could easily produce something bigger with, say, 48 or 56 CUs. Hell, Radeon 7 was EOLed to make room for such a card (we all know it was only ever a marketing stunt and stopgap)

But AMD won't make it because they won't shift TSMC's capacity away from EPYC (and now clearly Threadripper). How much ranting, raving and frustration have we seen from members here about the lack of 3900X and 3950X stock? Well given EPYC and Threadripper are plentiful, it's obvious where the best chiplets are being allocated. But we'd get the same levels of frustration - even more so - if the 5800 XT is announced with 56 CUs, wipes the floor with the 2080 Super but Gibbo has to resort to grey market tactics just to stock 10 of them.

So it does look like we're waiting until 7nm+/6nm production ramps up for Zen 3 before we see anything else from Navi/RDNA 1. That does suggest though AMD could stay competitive with Turing with RDNA 1 and keep up the fight with RDNA 2 when Nvidia release their next arch. Nvidia milking Turing and TSMC focussing on CPUs might actually play to AMD's advantage - Nvidia are in no rush to release a 7nm product and the longer they wait the sooner Zen 3 comes out which frees up 7nm resource.

I agree with you and yes you answered your own question :) TSMC just don't have the capacity.

Permabanned
If I had unlimited cash my personal money would go on a 3960X or 3970X and if my budget was tighter I'd buy a 3700X, 3800X or 3900X all the way, cores outwin frequency and AMD's IPC and efficiency is forever improving with new updates coming all the time.

They are doing in CPU as they do with GPU, they improve like fine wines, whereas their competition just gets slower with age typically due to poor driver updates on past architectures or security updates.
I would LOVE to see AMD putting out something on pair with 2080ti. Id Buy it day 1 :( Atm waiting for worthy update of my titan.

Permabanned
Yes were in stock on AMD, still no stock on Intel and on the AMD front we have 100's due in, AMD are winning like crazy for us right now.
My mate just said that this situation could lead to making impulsive alcohol purchase of whole TR3 platform while he waits for intel.. And I know him thats how I ended up with hes SPARE titan :D
Thinking now thats how he's gotten that spare TR1 platform lol. Good guy tbh we had one guy's system getting killed by lightnign strike. He sent him hes 3rd spare Ryzen 1800x platvform :D

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

The previous range of i9-9x processors are now out of stock. The i9-10x range are on Intel's site, but not in the channel. Any ideas on availability?

(New Premier Pro editing rig £4k budget)

4k budget for pro editing? Anything other than a Zen2 Threadripper seems obsolete.

Soldato
4k budget for pro editing? Anything other than a Zen2 Threadripper seems obsolete.
Not really. Premier Pro doesn't scale well past 10 cores and still very much likes clock speed. Threadripper 3 in tests doesn't outperform Desperation Lake X enough to warrant the significant price jump. So if you're working solely with Premier Pro then Threadripper 3 might not be the best bang for buck.

Work with the full Adobe CC suite however, especially Dynamic Link, and then Threadripper comes into its own: Premiere may only use 10 cores, After Effects may only use 10 cores, when they can have 10 cores each and Threadripper still has a minimum of 4 left over.

And don't forget there's a big shift towards Davinci Resolve for video now, and that's a much more modern piece of software which Threadripper will eat alive.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Not really. Premier Pro doesn't scale well past 10 cores and still very much likes clock speed. Threadripper 3 in tests doesn't outperform Desperation Lake X enough to warrant the significant price jump. So if you're working solely with Premier Pro then Threadripper 3 might not be the best bang for buck.

Work with the full Adobe CC suite however, especially Dynamic Link, and then Threadripper comes into its own: Premiere may only use 10 cores, After Effects may only use 10 cores, when they can have 10 cores each and Threadripper still has a minimum of 4 left over.

And don't forget there's a big shift towards Davinci Resolve for video now, and that's a much more modern piece of software which Threadripper will eat alive.

Oh right I didn't realise that past 10 cores it wouldnt be as effective! These software companies really need to start optimizing towards AMD now

Soldato

The issue is the market is saturated with loads of cards offering similar performance. A 5800XT card would just be another option that nobody would buy. Not to mention Intel are entering the market shortly and the strategy will probably be to undercut.

Soldato
I optimised for Adobe, by deleting all their software.
Nice :D

To be honest though, I'm having difficulty moving away. CS5 is perfectly fine for everything I do at home so there's no need to move to CC, and by extension no need to move to Davinci or alternatives. But then I'm still on a i5 2500 and even if I get Asteria II finished before the next millenium she's still only a 6700K. As long as I'm sat on quad cores I don't feel Adobe's archaic bloat.

Soldato
The issue is the market is saturated with loads of cards offering similar performance. A 5800XT card would just be another option that nobody would buy. Not to mention Intel are entering the market shortly and the strategy will probably be to undercut.
I'd disagree. The market is saturated with Nvidia cards offering similar performance. AMD have no presence above the 2070 Super, and there's only 1 choice at 2080 Super levels: the 2080 Super. A 56CU 5800 XT would give a 2nd option at that performance bracket, and a minor undercutting of price would instantly make it visible against Nvidia's signal-to-noise ratio.

And there is no way in hell Intel are going to undercut anybody, they're just not geared up that way (unless, of course, the Cascade Lake-X price cuts are the start of a new trend). AND Intel are years out from dropping a gaming GPU even if they did start undercutting.

Permabanned

AMD Radeon has loyal customers, and for example I wouldn't consider an nvidia card unless they change their image quality policy towards texture quality with higher resolution, update their ancient control panel, and reduce the pricing in the process.

Beating nvidia is more important for AMD than beating intel, because there are billions of US dollars in the graphics cards business, as well, and it is easier to steal market share from nvidia than it is from intel.

Plus, AMD needs to heavily invest in GPU technology, because they include it in their APUs. Which is again markets where to compete for OEMs' attention!

Back
Top Bottom