• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Now Operating On A Net Loss, $1.61 Billion In The Red

it's a dumb article they lost 1.6b but spent 5.6b on R&D & MG&A

R&D and marketing, general and administrative (MG&A) to approximately $20 billion in 2024

If they wanted to make a paper profit they could
Cash is king at the end of the day, Intel doesn't have unlimited reserves. Still though given the importance of semi conductors to our way of life I can see the US government stepping in and bailing out Intel if the worse case scenario (there already getting billions in government welfare grants to build plants in the US).

So tell me how do they do that. Increase prices??
by not spending 20 billion on R&D ?

They spend more on R&D in a quarter than TSMC does in a year.

In 2024, Nvidia allocated $8.68 billion to R&D, a significant increase from $2.38 billion in 2019.

AMD research and development expenses for the quarter ending June 30, 2024 were $1.583B, a 9.7% increase year-over-year. AMD research and development expenses for the twelve months ending June 30, 2024 were $6.126B, a 11.4% increase year-over-year.

how many companies spend 20bil on R&D in a year? they could easily reduce it if they cared about a paper profit.

There's probably good reasons not to make a profit like taxes

In the USA you can carry losses forward and use them to avoid paying taxes on profits the next year I think?
Cash is king at the end of the day, Intel doesn't have unlimited reserves.
they still have 11b in cash, 17 bil in short term investments etc on their books, and they are investing heavily in the company.

whats their total assets like 200b? they aren't going anywhere any time soon.

I'd be more worried about what the 11bil inventory they hold is and how much of it is CPUs with a bad voltage rep

Last edited:
...AMD carried losses for years.
I can't be bothered ferretting out the info now, but I've been watching it since around 2001. (I read AMD's financial reports in the early naughties which were available as they are now online)

as succinctly as possible, specific 10nm (Intel 7) samples pushed clocks too high toward thermal limits . the answer is well known for existing Intel 7 chips. Apply thermal limits.

and move on toward smaller nodes (as per usual). IMO they are going to have to shift to some funky new tech once they've exploited the 1nm-2nm range.

science and engineering solves problems at eeny weeny peeny small scales. the largest by volume silicon wafer manufacturer in the u.s. has a graphene r & d division (Alfa Chemistry is the company name)

seems obvious that you have to keep up in the tech stakes, as a tech company. so humans can have toys to play with while waiting for their crops to grow.

Last edited:
"I'd be more worried about what the 11bil inventory they hold is and how much of it is CPUs with a bad voltage rep"

change the spec. lower prices. clear stock.
and or add it to the losses column.
when consumers have options they'll avail themselves. sry about the double post. edit option timed out.

Last edited:
fanbois !
so many 5 series sales. haha.

always interesting to see mindfactory stats. AM4 still kicking too. 9 series amd is too marginal a gain to be very interesting, plus they havent released 9800/9700X3D

price to performance. pity they cant take a leaf out of their book.

nothing wrong with 14th gen chips. as long as you limit the thermals. but thats my main gripe with them. too power hungry. (which was apparent to me from the get go even prior to the over sensationalised anti campaigning)

still i think way too much bad press spin from the AMD fanbois. but they do what they do.

Last edited:
People used to think this could never happen to intel as they were on top of the world, yet it did. Nvidia...you're next.
I doubt it.

I am calling it now though, due to the incredible feat of engineering that is Nvidia cloud gaming (ultimate tier with the 4080s) I think the PC hobby industry is going to go through a re-structure. EK is the canary in the coal-mine.

I am basically out of the custom PC build scene from this point on-wards, I don't need to build another liquid cooled rig, its all gone and been replaced by a fan-less Macbook AIR M3 and an Nvidia Shield in the spare room. All my PC base unit gear is now in storage - I don't need it.

If Valve switch the steam deck away from x86 and embrace the Nintendo strategy, and Microsoft shift to cloud also, it will be the final nails in the x86 coffin IMHO.

We are not there yet but Nvidia are silently killing off a whole section of the PC Market. OCUK will survive because it does not only sell CPU/MB/RAM/GPU but its going to have to refocus on the other stuff you'll still need for a cloud setup (chair, mouse, kb, screen, wifi, NUC/Ultrabook/Edge device).

Back
Top Bottom