• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to Cut Prices of its Desktop Processors by 15% in Response to Ryzen 3000

Associate
Only because they saw prices dropping and constricted flow to create a price increase. Its so corrupt

Obviously, like they did with graphics cards. The problem with this industry is lack of competition, too many monopolies able to dictate prices without facing a price war. We need more manufacturers flooding the market with products, the only way to keep prices down!

Soldato
You're welcome to do as you wish, but your reasoning seems flawed. You had better have bought a pretty decent Z390 board to stick the 9900K for a start, because the low end ones certainly aren't suitable for handling it and will throttle like a mofo due to the VRMs overheating.

..I have bought a 'pretty decent Z390 board' the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi, which was on discount for £150 from its usual £200, and all the reviews I've read on it show no problems whatsoever with the VRMs throttling and running the 9900K at 5Ghz or more on all cores.

...show me an X570 motherboard with the same feature set and VRM quality for £150.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's because there is the Ryzen 7 2700 that already competes with the i9-9900 and has done it since April of last year. AMD wants from us to pay 50% on top of its price tag of £200 and get 20% or so performance uplift. 50 for 20 is not normal.

Except it was £329 on release not£200. Stop talking rubbish.

You get 20% uplift at same release price. Otherwise you might as well say you get a 2 to 10% increase(depending on workload) for the i9 9900k Vs i7 8700k for £160 difference now.

AMD released the CPU series at pretty much the same release price each gen whilst just adding more to stack and you just ignore that every post you do.

Permabanned
Except it was £329 on release not£200. Stop talking rubbish.

You get 20% uplift at same release price. Otherwise you might as well say you get a 2 to 10% increase(depending on workload) for the i9 9900k Vs i7 8700k for £160 difference now.

AMD released the CPU series at pretty much the same release price each gen whilst just adding more to stack and you just ignore that every post you do.

R7 3700X is to R7 2700X the same as what RX 590 is to RX 480. Except that the big change here is the full process node shrink :D

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-590.c3322

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/22.html

Why do you think that today there is a reason to like it, but when RX 590 was launched, no one welcomed it?

Soldato
R7 3700X is to R7 2700X the same as what RX 590 is to RX 480. Except that the big change here is the full process node shrink :D

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-590.c3322

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/22.html

Why do you think that today there is a reason to like it, but when RX 590 was launched, no one welcomed it?

Only issue with these bar graphs is they dont tell the full story. Watch the Digital Foundry review of the 3700x.

Averages and static bars dont tell the full story. You get a lot more frame variance and dips with the 2700x opposed to the 3700x.

(I know thats not what the conversation is here nor the fact that this was the conversation, just putting it out there)

It actually made me tempted to do the upgrade. I mention it because at 1440p the difference between the 2700x and 3700x is like 3%.

But what that average isn't showing is the low spikes on the 2700x.

Soldato
yeah media creation + gaming you making use of those extra threads. so its a viable option for amd. the problem is many people dabble in it not do it for work. so work out how much do you really do editing for gaming videos or stream.if its not much just get the intel chip and have a better gaming experience. if you only pumping out the odd video or doing odd stream its not really worth it.

7700k is still ocd as fast as the new amd cpus in games probably faster by a touch in most. if its just gaming.

to tommo yes 9900ks have dropped a little in price in last few days. so yes it will probably happen. intel see amd have stock shortages drop cpus a little in price people choose intel for builds. its simple and works. not only that many shops have caused this to happen as they have blagged they got stock took orders when they havent.

Whats funny is I do think media creation (content creation) is over represented on here. Looking at pure numbers its a very tiny fraction of gamers who create content. The reviewers emphasise it as they all content creators. But it does seem a big portion of active OCUK forum members seem to be also content creators which is an eye opener.

Associate
Only issue with these bar graphs is they dont tell the full story. Watch the Digital Foundry review of the 3700x.

Averages and static bars dont tell the full story. You get a lot more frame variance and dips with the 2700x opposed to the 3700x.

(I know thats not what the conversation is here nor the fact that this was the conversation, just putting it out there)

It actually made me tempted to do the upgrade. I mention it because at 1440p the difference between the 2700x and 3700x is like 3%.

But what that average isn't showing is the low spikes on the 2700x.

Call bs on this video, would like to rewatch with the SAME cooler they used for 9700k , not stock1 :D

Soldato
Whats funny is I do think media creation (content creation) is over represented on here. Looking at pure numbers its a very tiny fraction of gamers who create content. The reviewers emphasise it as they all content creators. But it does seem a big portion of active OCUK forum members seem to be also content creators which is an eye opener.

A lot of gamers don't buy over £250 CPUs though,so a CPU like a Ryzen 5 or Core i5,is what many buy and more than good enough for the job. Also the same with graphics cards. On here its like all the gamers are top 100,elite gamers who all play twitch shooters yet most gamers I know are casual. This is why so many have used socket 1155 CPUs for years,even though the newer Intel CPUs were objectively better in all ways. I was on socket 1155 since launch until last year!!

OcUK is an enthusiasts forum,and there will be plenty here who are not pure gamers - look at the various subforums we have here like photography. My main reason for my last CPU upgrade was my old Ivy Bridge system having performance issues in some photo processing software I was using.

Soldato

What has any of that got to do with the fact you keep saying the CPU's are overpriced considering performance lift when the retail prices are within a % the same from the previous gen. You still don't start comparing things like you have. The premise should be retail price at launch verse the new item that it replaces.

It was always fine every previous generation or other brand accordingly until this one for some reason. Might as well go out and buy either a 1700X or 2700 then and save more for the relative performance difference. Your maths was all wrong in the other post anyways which I ignored but the 2700X is around £240, the 3700X is £320 so £80 difference which clearly not 50% !! So if you took the £80 difference then it would be a 33% increase in cost for the 20% performance you mentioned. (it is closer to 10% in gaming really and more in some content stuff). But yeah still irrelevant.

The point is that today you can get more performance for the same monies as what you would pay out the previous year. That is generally how it has always been.

Soldato
Well at the moment you could build a 9900k system for less than the equivalent AMD but even so you'd be buying in to a PCIe gen 3.0 platform. The AMD choice however isn't the value proposition it once was, not in the short term anyway. Once you factor in socket consistency over chipset changes then AMD is better but that also depends how much longer AM4 will be around.

Back
Top Bottom