• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Associate
2nd opinion wanted on final OC of my 8350k. H110i cooler, delid, ASUS ITX, LPX 3000Mhz

Need small voltage increases for each 100Mhz up to 4.7Ghz, had to go from 1.32v to 1.375 for 4.8Ghz.

Prime temps at 4.7Ghz are 67, 65, 78, 66 and 4.8Ghz are 72, 69, 85, 71. Shouldn't be a problem leaving it at 4.8Ghz then? Games are showing lower temps.

Cheers

Soldato
I totally understand replacing Intels junk. What I dont understand is the practice of putting liquid metal on the die but not the cooler. Or indeed the practice of putting thermal paste on the cooler but not the die. Either this liquid metal makes a big enough difference to warrant being used. or it doesnt. regardless of which side of the IHS it's going on.

It will depend on the temps as to how well the TIM performs. The hotter the liquid gets the more heat it should transfer.

Soldato
2nd opinion wanted on final OC of my 8350k. H110i cooler, delid, ASUS ITX, LPX 3000Mhz

Need small voltage increases for each 100Mhz up to 4.7Ghz, had to go from 1.32v to 1.375 for 4.8Ghz.

Prime temps at 4.7Ghz are 67, 65, 78, 66 and 4.8Ghz are 72, 69, 85, 71. Shouldn't be a problem leaving it at 4.8Ghz then? Games are showing lower temps.

Cheers
Prime is unrealistically savage. You will see 10 degrees lower in something like blender or Aida 64. and 20 degrees lower actually gaming or video processing.

When I was OC'ing my rig I ran Prime on my rig and hit 89 degrees.
Since then, over 2 years all sorts of use I've hit a max of 74 degrees in real world use. I wouldn't use prime to gauge temps.

Associate
Ok, good to know, I was thinking that but wasn’t sure! Then I will leave it at 4.8ghz.

Is prime savage on stability too, or if I drop the voltage a tad and then game on it, it might be fine. I’m not sure if 1.375 is ok 24/7.

Soldato
Ok, good to know, I was thinking that but wasn’t sure! Then I will leave it at 4.8ghz.

Is prime savage on stability too, or if I drop the voltage a tad and then game on it, it might be fine. I’m not sure if 1.375 is ok 24/7.

1.375 should be fine on a quad core with good temps.

Soldato
@Dr_Watson Prim95 Blend is good if you want to leave it overnight.
RealBench and y-cruncher are other good alternatives, RealBench will cover most of your bases.

You dont really need to do this unless you bought the system to run real bench. If you must have 100% stable then install Linux and run stress.

Associate
[QUOTE=

Is prime savage on stability too,

Im wondering this too as my i5 8600k can only hit 4.6 mhz with 1.34 v on prime with a h115i cooler. any lower crashes the pc i was hoping for at least 4.8 mhz for that amount of voltage:confused:

Soldato
Is prime savage on stability too,

Im wondering this too as my i5 8600k can only hit 4.6 mhz with 1.34 v on prime with a h115i cooler. any lower crashes the pc i was hoping for at least 4.8 mhz for that amount of voltage:confused:

Then either up the voltage or back down the clocks a touch. Sounds like your on the edge with the chip and cooling.

Associate
Then either up the voltage or back down the clocks a touch. Sounds like your on the edge with the chip and cooling.
Think i will touch the clock down a touch as on the edge like you said. the anoying thing is my temps under load are really good at about 60 just not stable

Associate
Yeah seems Intel are heavily binning the chips.

Seems that way im a little disappointed really especially with some reviews saying you should be able to hit 5 mhz. I thought it might be my ram at first but tested with xmp off and no difference. I also wonder if Maybe i didnt apply enough thermal paste but then my temps are good. What i do know is i spent all weekend testing and wife and kids not happy so maybe i should leave it alone for a dew days:D

Soldato
Re prime and temperatures, you won't necessarily see a huge drop in temps if running a demanding game with a powerful gpu that isn't blower/aio and your CPU is air cooled. Whilst the load on the CPU is far less, quite a bit of heat is dumped into the case from the gpu allowing for less efficient cpu cooling. Bf1 maxed at 1440p on 64 player only gives around 7deg c drop for me compared to prime blend. Both gpu and cpu standard air cooling.

Associate
I've seen an 8700k in stock at a competitor, who are price gouging at £464. Considering OcUK do delidding and binning and a warranty for £499, that's crazy money.

Most frustrating launch ever.

Soldato
Re prime and temperatures, you won't necessarily see a huge drop in temps if running a demanding game with a powerful gpu that isn't blower/aio and your CPU is air cooled. Whilst the load on the CPU is far less, quite a bit of heat is dumped into the case from the gpu allowing for less efficient cpu cooling. Bf1 maxed at 1440p on 64 player only gives around 7deg c drop for me compared to prime blend. Both gpu and cpu standard air cooling.

BF1 is pretty much a stress test by itself. It is very good at detecting instability in your machine and crashing out. If you can run BF1 for hours without crashing you are winning.

Back
Top Bottom