• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Soldato
Strange decision IMO.

I thought Intel would give the i5 Hyper threading, making them 4c8t, basically getting a 7700k for i5 money, and save the 6c12t parts for the i7's.

Soldato
Soldato
Really hope Intel bring something out that would be a decent upgrade, getting bored of my 4770K lol

Same here with my setup. I just can't justify going AMD though when a 4 core Intel outperforms an 8 core chip in most games. Couldn't care less about performance in 2-3 years time as things will of moved on again and I'm happy to sell.

Soldato
Aye, overclocking does seem poor this generation. Sure, we can get a little bit out of them above their factory boost clocks, but I miss the 30% or so we could get from the Sandybridge era... Doesn't seem like Intel's peak speeds have changed at all, they just got more confident about a high percentage of chips making 4.5 :/

Associate
if the coffeelake i7 6 core could be overclocked to 5Ghz+ I would imagine it would be the fastest for gaming with more than 4 cores, I don't know if Ryzen or successors will ever get near 5Ghz.
Until a completely new architecture comes along I expect 5.10 Ghz as done by 8pack is going to be the highest speed normal users with standard water cooling will get

Last edited:
Soldato
if the coffeelake i7 6 core could be overclocked to 5Ghz+ I would imagine it would be the fastest for gaming with more than 4 cores, I don't know if Ryzen or successors will ever get near 5Ghz.
Until a completely new architecture comes along I expect 5.10 Ghz as done by 8pack is going to be the highest speed normal users with standard water cooling will get

Most people would choose it at 4.5, never mind 5.

Soldato

I wouldn't expect a 6 core to be hitting anywhere near 5ghz. 4.5 is more likely

Associate
so would it be better to get a i7700k at 5ghz now or wait for coffeelake at 4.5, would the extra 2 cores make up for the slight increase in overclocking on the 7700k

Soldato
so would it be better to get a i7700k at 5ghz now or wait for coffeelake at 4.5, would the extra 2 cores make up for the slight increase in overclocking on the 7700k

Wait to see overclocking results and pricing. Ryzen at 4.0 with 3200 ram should be seen more by that point as well, so you can weigh up all options.

It's hard to know exactly what to believe with ryzen currently as the results are all over the place in some cases. This might well be the same for x299 initially depending how the launch goes.

Associate
Is there some reason that the 6 core i7-6850K doesn't seem to be in favour, hardly seems to get a mention for gaming in the forum

Soldato
The Core i5 being 6C and compatibility with existing chipsets - have cats become dogs and dogs become cats?? :eek:

It shows you how badly we needed a competitive AMD.
I think most were expecting Core i5 to become 4c/8t and Core i7 to become 6c/12t. I don't think it occurred to anyone that Intel might release a 6c/6t CPU. Seems a bit stupid these days but Intel have used the disabling of SMT to segment the market for a long time and old habits die hard.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
problem is for now its an engineering sample so until august we dont have a clue what cores and threads we will be getting or the price, but intel cant release a lower core count chip that performs worse for more than ryzen or no one will buy them. remember this will be the first time intels been under pressure for a while so hopefully its given them the kick up the backside they needed.

Soldato
I think most were expecting Core i5 to become 4c/8t and Core i7 to become 6c/12t. I don't think it occurred to anyone that Intel might release a 6c/6t CPU. Seems a bit stupid these days but Intel have used the disabling of SMT to segment the market for a long time and old habits die hard.

Its not a bad thing as games if they do scale with more threads tend to prefer more cores,but we will need to wait and see.

problem is for now its an engineering sample so until august we dont have a clue what cores and threads we will be getting or the price, but intel cant release a lower core count chip that performs worse for more than ryzen or no one will buy them. remember this will be the first time intels been under pressure for a while so hopefully its given them the kick up the backside they needed.

Good point,lest we hype it up too much!! :p

Back
Top Bottom