• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Soldato
With Intel announcing Coffeelake 21st of Aug. When would the hard launch happen? Do you think we'll have to wait a while to get our hands on them?

Want to do ny new build soon?

Looking like October maybe November. Unless they pull a surprise.

“Start planning for what new 8th Gen Intel Core processor-based device to purchase in the holiday season and even before,” Intel says.

They might be officially announcing it months before actual availability to try and get more people to wait for them instead of buying AMD.

Caporegime
Looking like October maybe November. Unless they pull a surprise.

“Start planning for what new 8th Gen Intel Core processor-based device to purchase in the holiday season and even before,” Intel says.

They might be officially announcing it months before actual availability to try and get more people to wait for them instead of buying AMD.

Skylake x was available shortly after production started/the paper launch so i see no reason why this wouldnt be the same. Why would they start mass production end of august and officially launch them but then wait to sell them in oct/nov?

Last edited:
Soldato
Skylake x was available shortly after production started/the paper launch so i see no reason why this wouldnt be the same. Why would they start mass production end of august and officially launch them but then wait to sell them in oct/nov?

Soldato
That's too long to wait. I'm hoping September, but who knows what Intel's going to do?

Exactly. Who knows. Just wondering about that statement which would indicate a departure from recent tradition. One that would be explained by renewed competition from AMD, and Intel wanting to keep a bigger share of sales than otherwise in the 3rd and 4th quarters of this year. If Intel can't bring forward availability for whatever reason, then they may have decided to bring forward the announcement, strategically.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you thought CPU manufacturers are busy, think how much work do motherboard makers really have.

The motherboard chipset naming is probably the funniest part of this year’s CPU launches.

First, we had Intel 200-series then AMD 300 series, Intel X299 series, AMD X399 series and now… Intel 300 series. I guess we finally made a full circle!

Today I have something “exclusive” for you, a list of all upcoming ASRock motherboards based on Z370 chipset. And yes, I mean Z370 only, there are no B350 and H370 motherboards here. But why? Well probably because AMD already ‘borrowed’ this chipset naming for their Ryzen series? Who knows.

Either way, expect following motherboards from ASRock:

• ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty Professional Gaming i7
  • ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming K6
  • ASRock Z370 Extreme4
  • ASRock Z370 Killer SLI/ac
  • ASRock Z370 Pro4
  • ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac
  • ASRock Z370M Pro4
I guess there are no surprises here, except maybe the ITX motherboard, since those are usually late to the party. There’s no Supercarrier or Taichi here yet, but I will let you know as soon as these are confirmed.

https://videocardz.com/newz/upcoming-asrock-z370-motherboards-no-pics

Associate
From what I recall it takes 2 to 3 months to produce a CPU so if production starts in August expect them to be released in October to November.
The reason why they would announce this month is to aim to stop people from buying Ryzen.
I think many would take a 6 core Intel that over-clocks well compared to an 8 core Ryzen if the price and platform is acceptable.
So 6 core Coffee Lake has the potential to disrupt Ryzen so better to announce it ASAP with the start of production about as early as is legitimate.
If they show off a benchmark or two that might help.

Associate
From what I recall it takes 2 to 3 months to produce a CPU so if production starts in August expect them to be released in October to November.
The reason why they would announce this month is to aim to stop people from buying Ryzen.
I think many would take a 6 core Intel that over-clocks well compared to an 8 core Ryzen if the price and platform is acceptable.
So 6 core Coffee Lake has the potential to disrupt Ryzen so better to announce it ASAP with the start of production about as early as is legitimate.
that's why I hate marketing people....
but if the customers wins in the end it really doesn't matter...

some people may decide to wait

Associate
that's why I hate marketing people....
but if the customers wins in the end it really doesn't matter...
some people may decide to wait
I dislike much marketing but I see no problem with announcing a product that is in production but won't be released for 2 or 3 months.
It's better for consumers to have that info as they may feel it's worth waiting for rather than buying Ryzen or Skylake X now.

Caporegime

I would be astonished if it takes 2-3 months for mass produced cpu to be made :confused:
:

Man of Honour
I would be astonished if it takes 2-3 months for mass produced cpu to be made :confused:
:

IIRC currently wafer cycle time for 14/16nm you are looking at around 48 days for a relatively straight forward product through to 90 days for a complex design utilising FinFets, etc. a lot of companies will run off a limited amount in risk production which can be what hits market first before volume production hence why sometimes you have like a few 100 units at launch then a month or so wait and then suddenly floods of stock.

Back
Top Bottom