• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Not a bad innings for that CPU!!

yeah, clocked at 4.16ghz too and still humming along fine. sure i could grab a ryzen now but a bit pointless for the sake of 4-5 months, been waiting long enough to upgrade it as i nearly grabbed a kabylake then ryzen was anounced and now coffee lake lol then i guess ryzen 2nd gen will get announced hahaha. but yeah august/september il upgrade one way or another.

Associate
Any word on Asus supplying BIOS updates for their Z170 boards for CL? Doubt it but hey, I have to ask ;)

Although I have my eyes on Skylake-X, I would like to have a back up plan and keep my eyes open.

Associate
Any word on Asus supplying BIOS updates for their Z170 boards for CL? Doubt it but hey, I have to ask ;)

Although I have my eyes on Skylake-X, I would like to have a back up plan and keep my eyes open.
What CPU are you on now?

I was seriously considering Skylake-X, mostly for better minimum FPS in battlefield 1...not sure what would be better, a 6 core Sky-X or this Coffee lake one!

GAC

GAC

Soldato
I would wait and see what the IPC & clock speeds are like first, doesn't seem like there will be much time difference between releases. Only problem is waiting for reliable tests then from multiple sites, if going for game performance at least.

does give you time to save up a few more pennies for a better cpu :p

Soldato
What CPU are you on now?

I was seriously considering Skylake-X, mostly for better minimum FPS in battlefield 1...not sure what would be better, a 6 core Sky-X or this Coffee lake one!

I hear the skylake X isn't meant for gaming.

It was moved forward from January to August is all that is known. No specifications are known other than core count and socket. Not sure if they release information in June...

Thanks. I'll watch computex and see what happens?

Soldato
So is LGA 1151 going to support CPU's after Coffee Lake or is it the end after that? Seems a bit poor on choice to buy straight into a platform with no upgrades.
Who knows? Normally I'd have said no way will Cannonlake (if it ever appears on desktop, which I doubt) or Icelake support LGA1151 but with fresh competition from AMD, you never know. They are supposed to use the 3xx and 4xx chipsets, respectively, though.

Associate
I would wait and see what the IPC & clock speeds are like first, doesn't seem like there will be much time difference between releases. Only problem is waiting for reliable tests then from multiple sites, if going for game performance at least.
I think you're right - the very worst thing would be spending all that money only to find out its not much better than what i have already!

Associate
What CPU are you on now?

6600K @ 4.6GHz. I want hyperthreading back and more cores. 8/16 seems ideal to me for the future. But I want to check out CL as well.

Going Skylake-X for a single game I wouldn't do, bit expensive. But I suppose you'll benefit in other games you'll play. Which 6 core is better... That will be interesting to see... All depends on clocks probably, but the HEDT chip will have more L3 cache which helps.

So is LGA 1151 going to support CPU's after Coffee Lake or is it the end after that? Seems a bit poor on choice to buy straight into a platform with no upgrades.

Cannonlake is also 1151 but if older boards will support them!? Maybe Tiger Lake will also be 1151, it's an optimization of the latter I think? Then a new socket and completely new architecture, the first since Sandy, with Ice Lake. BIOS updates will all depend on the vendors but I think that each series may support 2 chips max. Because, money.

coffeelakes been seen (take with a pinch of salt) testing on z170, so who knows.

Sadly no, it ran on a Z270 board.

I think that, for BIOS support it'll be:

Skylake: 100 & 200
Kaby Lake: 100 & 200 (& 300?)
Coffee Lake: 200 & 300
Cannonlake: 300 & 400
Tiger Lake: 400 & 500
Ice Lake: 600

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
this is why i hate this time just before official news so many what if's and maybes which are wrong yet banded about on various sites. august cant come soon enough.

Associate
this is why i hate this time just before official news so many what if's and maybes which are wrong yet banded about on various sites. august cant come soon enough.

Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the rumor mill ride :) Benches (leaked) and specs (leaked) will come -- I know though; I'd like to have them 60 secs from now as well.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I've heard the rumour, but I know levelcap's Broadwell-E rig does a lot better with BF1 than my quad in busy 64 player matches, so logic would suggest next gen HEDT would be awesome in that title!

My 6850K gets hammered in BF1 even more so with streaming it as well using OBS.

Back
Top Bottom