• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Permabanned
This guy :)

images

Soldato
No actual evidence in there though :D "We will have a 10nm product in the future" - we sort of knew this... Bet they find an excuse for yet another new socket though :(
Even their graph shows 10 nm will be worse performance-wise than their current 14 nm chips, at least to start with. It also shows Icelake coming in late 2018, assuming it's on their "10+ nm" node. Waiting for Icelake seems as long and risky as waiting for Vega was.

Soldato
Even their graph shows 10 nm will be worse performance-wise than their current 14 nm chips, at least to start with. It also shows Icelake coming in late 2018, assuming it's on their "10+ nm" node. Waiting for Icelake seems as long and risky as waiting for Vega was.

Agreed. I want to see some Covfefe benches and confirmed prices, then I'll choose between that or Ryzen. I can wait that long :)

Soldato
Agreed. I want to see some Covfefe benches and confirmed prices, then I'll choose between that or Ryzen. I can wait that long :)

Same. I'm overdue an upgrade and my desktop is starting to feel the strain (several server apps, downloading at 380Mbps while simultaneously unpacking multiple RAR archives and serving transcoded video to remote clients, torrenting, etc). I really want to give AMD my money for 'ethical reasons', and to support their continued growth. That said I'm not so blind (or rich) as to throw away my money on pure principles when I could be losing out on a much better fit for my needs. So, I await the 8700k benches... Ideally I need to build an extra BSD based machine for server stuff, and keep the desktop for just that. It'd allow me to split the load more effectively, and get a many-cored/high RAM machine for the server and a lesser-cored high clockspeed CPU for the desktop. ATM a 1600x or clocked 1700 are probably the middle of the road sweet spot. We'll see.

Soldato
Intel Core i7-8700K is 11% Faster Than Core i7-7700K in Single Threaded Benchmarks

http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-8th-gen-core-i7-8700k-performance-specs-leak/
...claims Intel, the people who claimed a 15% uplift from Skylake to Kaby Lake, which was utter cobblers. You're telling me that they magically found an additional 11% performance after barely finding anything since Haswell, conveniently after they finally have competition? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The 51% multithreaded performance boost claim actually makes sense. But then how can you have 51% more performance from 50% more cores and yet have 11% more single-threaded performance? The only way that'd happen is with even higher single-core boost clocks than i7-7700K, i.e. 5 GHz. Sounds unlikely given the identical TDP.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Bare in mind this is transistor performance - doesn't mean the CPUs are slower - just means you are going to have to trade off area density and/or power in different ways either adding additional functionality to get faster or sacrificing some of your area to get higher frequencies, etc. though it gives you some reference as to the efficiency of a node to its own scale it doesn't necessarily compare relatively to other nodes.

Soldato
Agree, Skylake to Kabylake was a joke. Hope we see real benches very soon? Either way it should be a good chip. First Intel mainstream 6 core is a big deal.
Yes it's a big deal and Intel's 6c/12t flagship will have the ability to clock nearly 20% higher than the R5 1600 (probably) - hopefully it isn't priced horribly though.

I wonder if it annoys Intel that they can't claim to have brought out the first true dual core, quad core*, or hex core mainstream CPUs. :D

* Technically the Q6600 predated the Phenom X4 but it's two dies rather than one (a bit like Threadripper).

Soldato
Intel Core i7-8700K is 11% Faster Than Core i7-7700K in Single Threaded Benchmarks

http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-8th-gen-core-i7-8700k-performance-specs-leak/

That sounds about right - apparently one leak said 4.7GHZ single core Turbo,and it with a slight IPC increase(I calculated it at 6% after I looked at one leak),it would add upto what is stated.

Yes it's a big deal and Intel's 6c/12t flagship will have the ability to clock nearly 20% higher than the R5 1600 (probably) - hopefully it isn't priced horribly though.

I wonder if it annoys Intel that they can't claim to have brought out the first true dual core, quad core*, or hex core mainstream CPUs. :D

* Technically the Q6600 predated the Phenom X4 but it's two dies rather than one (a bit like Threadripper).

Its probably going to be priced at £300 to £350 since that is where the previous Core i7 chips were priced at,and also roughly where the Ryzen 7 1700X is aimed at too. Remember,Intel is going to be using a much bigger chip than SKL/KL so they got to preserve those margins! :p

Intel will most likely price the locked 6C/6T Core i5 at Ryzen 5 1600 level(or maybe a tad below it) and the K series one slightly above it.

This is where I estimate things will be. I OFC could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom