• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Associate
I've heard the rumour, but I know levelcap's Broadwell-E rig does a lot better with BF1 than my quad in busy 64 player matches, so logic would suggest next gen HEDT would be awesome in that title!

The title of that leaked slide says "High-end gaming reinvented". My take is that that is indeed the aim and then towards those who game and stream, an increasing trend these days. You want those cores combined with SKL-X high clocks to facilitate both.

Associate
Whoops, my bad!

Still interested in any Coffeelake news though if that helps get the thread back on its rails lol :p

I had a cup of coffee of freshly grind beans from Uganda. Does that help? :D

But yeah I'd like to know its specifications and where it sits compared to Skylake-X counterparts in terms of performance.

Read an interesting idea that didn't come to fruition (if true at all; it's just an idea after all): if AMD didn't release theirs as is Intel may have planned to move all unlocked 4+ cores onto the HEDT platform, explaining the rumored 4 core on said platform. Would it be a rooster move? Yes. I could've seen it happen though.

Soldato
I'd imagine that Intel should have some news at Computex, even if it's just confirmation of the product range for their 4th iteration of 14nm CPU's.

Looking at the current data available, if they are indeed keeping it on LGA 1151, then hopefully they will see sense and ensure that the H110/H170/Z170 and forward are all compatible with a BIOS update alone. Although I'd imagine that as the VRM's on these boards were only made with 4c/8t 90ish watt chips in mind, may not be able to get the best from the top tier 6 core variants, especially if they come in at the expected 115w+

The unlocked 6 core i5 CPU, would probably be the best price to performance also, since they can't price it massively above the 7600K, maybe $279. Effectively, the i7 version is going to become redundant, using the same argument that people put between the AMD R5 to R7 jump, if the R5 is is good enough with 6 core's then there's no need to spend the extra for the extra cores, and threads.

One things for sure, if the so called 15% boost Intel are claiming is the same measurement they used between Skylake and Kaby Lake, then all they will have done is bump the base clock, and the IPC will be pretty much exactly the same. And that leads to them having to address the crappy IHS fitment and thermal paste issue that Kaby has, especially with the extra power usage on the 6 cores products.

Another thought, if the 14nm++ process is not significantly more refined, then we already know that 5.2GHz is realistically the maximum performance you are going to get on normal cooling and safe volts, so it they drop in the 8700K 4c/8t with a 4.8GHz reference clock, then you aren't really getting great value for money from your 'K' addon cost.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The 6 core i5 or the 6 core i7? They are not going to put an i5 at that price.

They are not going to undercut the 7700K for a CPU that is more expensive to make and has less cores.

They maybe a bit less than £430 without HT, but reviewers will lord them as the best thing in the world, especially Toms Hardware, no doubt they will update thier "best CPU's" chart suddenly deciding that actually 6 corer are better than 6 after-all.... and Intel will match the price, i think they will still be £400.

Soldato
They are not going to undercut the 7700K for a CPU that is more expensive to make and has less cores.

They maybe a bit less than £430 without HT, but reviewers will lord them as the best thing in the world, especially Toms Hardware, no doubt they will update thier "best CPU's" chart suddenly deciding that actually 6 corer are better than 6 after-all.... and Intel will match the price, i think they will still be £400.

They are replacing the whole of the Kaby Lake range, not just adding new CPU's with 6 cores, Coffee Lake will have a 7700K equivalent, but as it's a new range Intel have the flexibility to adjust the pricing across the whole range.

However, I have to disagree with you, there is not a snowball's chance in hell that the i5 6 core will be £400.

GAC

GAC

Soldato

the problem is 7700k will technically be end of line, intel has to come out firing on the prices or they will lose sales, take people like me who need a new mobo/cpu/ram upgrade when we do. theres a good chance the current socket wont be used past coffee lake, maybe canon lake at best. but am4 is supposed to be around for a few more years so that route long term would make more sense. especially if intel charges more for a i5 than the previous i7 is at.

Caporegime
Intel have not lost any sales with the 7700K vs Ryzen... they have 0 reason to lower pricing ^^^^

They are replacing the whole of the Kaby Lake range, not just adding new CPU's with 6 cores, Coffee Lake will have a 7700K equivalent, but as it's a new range Intel have the flexibility to adjust the pricing across the whole range.

However, I have to disagree with you, there is not a snowball's chance in hell that the i5 6 core will be £400.

Just because the changed the naming doesn't mean ####, its just marketing.
What do you think it will be? Intel per core performance has had nothing but an upwards trend.

Last edited:
Soldato
Intel have not lost any sales with the 7700K vs Ryzen... they have 0 reason to lower pricing ^^^^

What do you think it will be? Intel per core performance has had nothing but an upwards trend.

I already said in my post you quoted first, $279 for the 6 core i5 8XXX(K) CPU, which keeps their pricing above current 4 core chips, but is within the competitive price they need to be at for core count vs. Ryzen. They might put it at $299, but then you are $80 on top of the R5 1600 MSRP, which is a free motherboard!

Caporegime
I already said in my post you quoted first, $279 for the 6 core i5 8XXX(K) CPU, which keeps their pricing above current 4 core chips, but is within the competitive price they need to be at for core count vs. Ryzen. They might put it at $299, but then you are $80 on top of the R5 1600 MSRP, which is a free motherboard!

6 core Coffeelake will be cheaper than 6 core Skylake but if you think its going to be Skylake i5 + a token £20 you're delusional.

Intel never have and never will do massive price per core cuts, in this case they don't even have absolutely no reason to.

Soldato

A motherboard that can overclock instead of being locked to certain chipsets......
They have to price this carefully. We all know the performance will be there but if its not competetive then people on the edge of upgrading will probably just go ryzen.

Caporegime
A motherboard that can overclock instead of being locked to certain chipsets......
They have to price this carefully. We all know the performance will be there but if its not competetive then people on the edge of upgrading will probably just go ryzen.

Nah, most people have no independent clue about what they are buying, they just do what mainstream reviewers tell them to do, 90% of those are still saying any Intel CPU is better than any Ryzen CPU, even with Intel's current pricing, in Steam Hardware survey AMD are still losing ground to Intel.

Intel are still selling vast amounts of 4 core CPU's for £250 and £350, many times more than anything AMD are selling.

So the idea that Intel will drop its per core price by 40% is deluded, for what?

Last edited:
Soldato
Nah, most people have no independent clue about what they are buying, they just do what mainstream reviewers tell them to do, 90% of those are still saying any Intel CPU is better than any Ryzen CPU, even with Intel's current pricing, in Steam Hardware survey AMD are still losing ground to Intel.

Intel are still selling vast amounts of 4 core CPU's for £250 and £350, many times more than anything AMD are selling.

So the idea that Intel will drop its per core price by 40% is deluded, for what?

Oh without question these will expensive. The numerous new members we had dropping in asking about ryzen suggests they have made a little head way. AMD need to spend more money on marketing.

Back
Top Bottom