• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to possibly announce even more impressive chip than 7980XE at Computex

Man of Honour
Is this a comedy sketch because Intel sure made people laugh today! :D

Not quite sure context - whether they aborted mid expected run of demos - but seems a bit inflated from normal events - Intel usually removes those CPUs swiftly from systems when not in use as they are pre-production/confidential, etc. etc.

Intel badly need to get their **** in order though - they have pitiful few offerings that would entice me away from my 4820K right now.

Caporegime
Not quite sure context - whether they aborted mid expected run of demos - but seems a bit inflated from normal events - Intel usually removes those CPUs swiftly from systems when not in use as they are pre-production/confidential, etc. etc.

Intel badly need to get their **** in order though - they have pitiful few offerings that would entice me away from my 4820K right now.

Intel hid the chiller during the demo, they didn't say anything about the CPU, nothing about intended clocks speed or to say that it was overclocked, they just showed it running at 5Ghz with what looked like an ordinary custom loop.

Its typical dodgy marketing, by not saying anything about the product but showing it running at 5Ghz on what looked like a not at all exotic cooler the implication is a 5Ghz 28 core CPU, and that is what some reviewers reported, Red Tech Gaming among others reported it as a 5Ghz 28 cores CPU, Intel did not correct them.

Other journalists found the hidden water chiller and began to report on that, this is when Intel started barking out "you have 20 minutes to remove the systems from view" orders at board partners.

Soldato
I think Intel assumed TR refresh was just a clock bump, they are well enough connected to AMD's board partners to have got word of TDP they have been working to for the refresh - so am guessing they were not expecting 32 core part

Soldato
I think Intel assumed TR refresh was just a clock bump, they are well enough connected to AMD's board partners to have got word of TDP they have been working to for the refresh - so am guessing they were not expecting 32 core part

By looking at that board compared to Asus , Gigabytes was a very very polished set up, complete with branding everywhere . Yet seems that was kept under wraps from a lot of people..
Counter flip side they also publically shown x399 and allowed Steve in the day before to do a shopping list parts video , just like x470 that was shown months before .
Could be vendors are gaining the upper hand on chip sellers for once . Seems last 3 gens intel didn't bother giving out many freebie chips to vendors and instead gave every attention to OEM, what ever they requested , they got..

Just realised board is running flagship audio hardware and Samsung B-Die sticks - haven't been paying attention but did any slides show if ram was running 3200hz or above ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems like there was problem in demoing...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-28-core-processor-5ghz-motherboard,37213.html
We were originally going to witness the demo first hand, but there wasn't enough power handy to run both the chiller and the system simultaneously.
Intel should have partnered with Westinghouse for portable nuclear reactor...

Associate
The tech media should have known better to put headline after headline saying 5Ghz 28Core chip...
It was obvious from the first second this was not going to be what it was presented as, anyone with half a brain knows you cannot take a Skylake X with 28 cores and ask 5 Big ones of it under a normal setup.

Associate
True, though Intel did say this was cascade lake (presumably more refined 14nm process), though it seems that was not the case. Hell even if it was ...

Edit: God knows at this point what's been said/done. Though it sure is shifty.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aren't we going a tiny bit too far now though? Nobody knows for sure what this CPU was, especially as all the demo units were pulled. Yes, this is a deceptive stunt on Intel's part, but if they say it's Cascade Lake then why wouldn't it be Cascade Lake? Laugh at Intel's poor judgement on this, enjoy the PR backlash, but anything more is getting a tad vitriolic methinks. Especially that video above, the guy is just banging on the same point about 4 times in the video. It's an unnecessary rant.

And let's be honest, Intel just ran a 28-core CPU at 5GHz across the board without using sub-zero cooling. Within that limited scope, how is that not awesome?

Caporegime
I think this is relevant here...

This may have backfired in more ways than one, literally last minute change in products stacks post yesterday.

You don't just find support for another 8 cores and have existing support in the motherboards for 32 cores. If anything AMD were pushing around 24 core chips to fake out Intel, make them think they can steal some headlines with a 28 core chip... then come over the top with 32 cores and make them look just as stupid as they have done.

Also the simple reality is that the only reason to limited Threadripper while using the same socket as EPYC, is so that on a quad channel platform each die has it's two mem controllers active. As soon as you have a third die then one of them must have it's memory controller disabled, if that works, then you immediately remove any reason not to have the 4th die as well.

Basically I could understand stopping at two dies, but if you don't stopping at 3 dies doesn't make any sense, go all in or don't go past the two dies.

Soldato
And let's be honest, Intel just ran a 28-core CPU at 5GHz across the board without using sub-zero cooling. Within that limited scope, how is that not awesome?

It's not awesome because its yet another overclocking stunt.

Not casual ambient overclocking but taking the **** level with a water chiller bigger than the PC and guesstimated 1000W draw from the cpu plus the energy consumption of the chiller.

It's just as relevant as AMDs overclocking stunts where they stick some guys and half a ton of liquid nitrogen in a room and let them go nuts. But Intel was trying to act as if this meant something, concealed the cooling and didn't say it was an unrealistic overclocking stunt.

As a result we were drowning in claims that intel were releasing a 5GHz 28 core cpu. Which is total BS given how it was doing 5Ghz. They deserve the flak they get for it.

Soldato
I'm gonna bet that a bunch of people didn't see the intel demo of their 28 core so I'll sum it up.

It's rolled out on stage and praised for its cinebench performance while still having amazing single threaded performance at 5GHz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21hNs9GKR5c&t=57m20s

Not a single squeak that someone overclocked the nuts off it or that its being piped chilled water from under the table to make it possible. Just in and out, hey look at this 5GHz 28 core cpu.

Back
Top Bottom