• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel’s surprise Ryzen killer

Associate
I don't know how Intel got so big... well i do but you look at the history between these two in how they operate, Intel created X86 and with it the core of what became IBM's "Personal Computer" good stuff, well done Intel.

Intel actually did the correct thing at the time, when your competition fails so badly you don't burn up your resources competing with yourself, you focus on making the most profit with the least effort.

Unfortunately it looks like they didn't realise with competition they need to stop doing that at some point, so the position they now find themselves in is well deserved.

Associate
My favorite part about all this is that this new stuff opens up new conversation, new possibilities, you're not going down that same road every single time. Now you can explore other aspects and see what is possible by linking outside aspects from the CPU to improve performance. Right now AMD are playing 4D chess 10 moves ahead.
exactly my thoughts ... Intel is just doing the same thing but more cores and more Mhz... amd is actually trying to change something

Associate
Intel has very few good engineers left. All their managers are useless MBA suits, who don't know what a transistor is. They'll have a very hard time getting out a competitor to Zen 3.

Man of Honour
Intel has very few good engineers left. All their managers are useless MBA suits, who don't know what a transistor is. They'll have a very hard time getting out a competitor to Zen 3.

This isn't correct and you shouldn't underestimate them, to assume that they don't have the talent would be foolish, it's direction and capability at fab level that is holding them back. Intel have some 90,000 employees split over 22 business function groups, in and among that they have some of the best engineers on the planet.

Associate
This isn't correct and you shouldn't underestimate them, to assume that they don't have the talent would be foolish, it's direction and capability at fab level that is holding them back. Intel have some 90,000 employees split over 22 business function groups, in and among that they have some of the best engineers on the planet.
I think @SkyTerran is just bashing intel because its cool to do that at the moment..

Associate
Quite, and they're still very profitable.

Intel are out for a few rounds, and rightly so, but they will be back with a vengeance.

Soldato
Can someone explain to me why a company like lntel does not have their own fab plants and rely on asia?
Why cant they fabricate chips like Samsung and TSMC can do?

I know the prices was Asia is less so why did they not aquire a plant there?

Last edited:
Soldato
Can someone explain to me why a company like lntel does not have their own fab plants and rely on asia?
Why cant they fabricate chips like Samsung and TSMC can do?

I know the prices was Asia is less so why did they not aquire a plant there?

Intel HAVE their own fab plants. That's their problem. They couldn't get a good, working lower density lithography process working internally so they're stuck with 14nm+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.

TSMC/Samsung HAVE managed to improve their process, which AMD (and Nvidia) are now leveraging.

Intel's issue is that it's all in house and hasn't worked out. AMD's benefit is they've "only" had to design a chip that works with someone else's researched and designed process.

Soldato
This intel release smacks of desperation, my opinion remains if they dont have a proper improvement then dont release a new product, I have never understood this supposed need to continually release new products frequently. Kind of like how the smartphone market is.

Associate
I think @SkyTerran is just bashing intel because its cool to do that at the moment..

Well it's not so much that it's cool but Intel opted to put profit ahead of progress and their customers (as far as we're concerned). They're a business fair enough but given their actions aren't really in our best interests why should we have any kind words for them?

Soldato
AMD has tons of them too who kept buying amd prior to zen even though what they put out wasn't worth $10

If those AMD fanboys chose Intel instead, then Intel would have 100% market share. So where would the money for AMD's R&D come from?

How many cores do you think we would have today without that competition? The i9 wouldn't exist, the reasonably priced i7 would still have 4c8t. The i5 would still have 4c4t and the i3 would only have 2c4t. Clock speeds would be much lower because Intel would have no reason to push 14nm.

Before AMD came back, we thought Moore's law was dead. I genuinely thought mankind had reached a limit with silicone and quantum computing was the way forward.

It's easy to mock the AMD fanboy and think they're an idiot, but surely they helped save gaming (and indeed the CPU) from a dark future?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Intel actually did the correct thing at the time, when your competition fails so badly you don't burn up your resources competing with yourself, you focus on making the most profit with the least effort.

Unfortunately it looks like they didn't realise with competition they need to stop doing that at some point, so the position they now find themselves in is well deserved.

Does Intel even realise they have competition? it seems like they are just executing a pre-determined schedule as if they exist in a vacuum and at best the attempts to get things back on track have just been musical chairs with equally useless managers. Feels to me like they are now throwing good money after bad. Probably time they binned off their pitiful 10nm and 7nm attempts, ate humble pie and utilised someone else's 7nm while shaking things up behind the scenes and getting the right people in to do the development from 14nm to 5nm (granted that does need some lessons along the way from 14nm but at this point there doesn't seem to be much to be gained from their 10nm, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom