iOS 5.1 discussion

Associate
16 hours usage and 61 hours standby time isn't possible. It just isn't going to happen, airplane mode or not. Never mind with 31% battery left.

Either the phone is reading it very wrong, or you've had it plugged in.

Charged my phone overnight lastnight, unplugged it about 7am ish. So far i'm showing

82%
Usage - 3 hours, 46 minutes
Standby - 13 hours, 42 minutes

I never have it in airplane mode, and very rarely plug it in to a pc - only charge it overnight or when its below 20%.

3g off, data off and location services off.

Its actually my work phone, don't really use it much lately. Received one call today which was less than 5 minutes. Receive text messages all day long from our as400 at work though.
Still on 5.01 until a JB is available for 5.1.

Man of Honour
The usage figures won't be accurate then, or something very minor is building it up.

82% after 13 hours of light usage with those settings you have sounds about right.

Soldato
3g off, that's why then your figures are so high.

I know what my battery drain is, poor signal.

At work, i barely get one bar, and it drains like no tomorrow.

However at home, I can easily get minimum days standby with a few hours usesage due to full signal.

Associate
All I can say is that turning off data and 3G when you don't need them really improves battery life. With then on I barely get a day out of a full charge

Associate
3g off, that's why then your figures are so high.

I know what my battery drain is, poor signal.

At work, i barely get one bar, and it drains like no tomorrow.

However at home, I can easily get minimum days standby with a few hours usesage due to full signal.

I did say they were off before I posted my usage figures, I still got flamed tho lol

Soldato
Back to the software, I am still disappointed and hope Apple seriously fix it.

I don't want to have to turn the majority of features off and worry about my battery, that's why I got rid of my ageing blackberry because the phone simply wouldn't last me through the day.

I'm starting to think Apple just tweaked the way the battery is displayed also.

Associate
Anyone know a way to find out what the phone is doing in the background (non jailbroken).

I've recently had a big hit on my battery power (before 5.1).

I know that without wifi on it'll only lose 1% over night.
With wifi on I get this

mp43T.png

I used to only lose about 5-8% overnight which is fine. Now I'm getting 20.

I have wifi on and the only other thing I know of is reminders and calender syncing with the cloud. I have no location on, no mail pushing, no 3G, nothing else I know of.

For exactly half the time overnight the phone is actively doing something and I'd like to try and find out what. If it is the cloud, it's a pity there's no way to tell it how often you want it to check back for changes.

Soldato
I'd get rid of the Cloud, that is one of the main causes.

There's a systems app a few around available to see what's running.

From that screenshot that's very good stats.

Last edited:
Associate
I never had a battery problem really, and charge the phone every night anyway. However what updating did do was change "My Number" in phone settings, to the temp number i had when migrating from O2 to 3, so had to put the SIM in my wifes iphone 4, where it was correct, i then deleted the last number, and put it back in, so i could save it, put the SIM back in my 4s, and My Number is now correct, I wonder why apple wont let you change the number on the 4s, but can on the 4? seems odd to me.

Soldato
I never had a battery problem really, and charge the phone every night anyway. However what updating did do was change "My Number" in phone settings, to the temp number i had when migrating from O2 to 3, so had to put the SIM in my wifes iphone 4, where it was correct, i then deleted the last number, and put it back in, so i could save it, put the SIM back in my 4s, and My Number is now correct, I wonder why apple wont let you change the number on the 4s, but can on the 4? seems odd to me.

General>Phone>My Number - lets you change it just fine.

works fine on my 4S.

Soldato
my gs2 reported my sim as the number that it originally had but my 4s reports it correctly (i ported my old number to this sim) but doesn't allow change

Back
Top Bottom