Improved iMessage
Continuity
Healthkit
Family sharing
iCloud photo library
Smarter Siri

Last edited:
Associate
It's the £100 fee which apple charge to gain access to developer tools which aren't too appealing for newcomers

But I think people will do some really great things with the new APIs
Finally letting devs have a bit more free rein

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Touch ID API FTW. Secure access to my password manager without having to enter a complex password.

Soldato
Swear I only paid £60 for dev tools last year lol.

I must admit I'm worried about swift having not watched the speech I'm unsure if it renders objective c obsolete. Can't find info on it yet.

Is swift replacing objective c completely?

Soldato
Swear I only paid £60 for dev tools last year lol.

I must admit I'm worried about swift having not watched the speech I'm unsure if it renders objective c obsolete. Can't find info on it yet.

Is swift replacing objective c completely?

Obj-C is compatible with Swift, backwards compatible style.

Soldato
Good to hear. Means I can continue with my release. Lol was worried I'd have to rewrite the entire app in a new language. Phew :D

Well time to learn swift then :)

Thanks!

Soldato
No need to say sorry I thought they'd raised the price since I paid I got a bit angry lol.

I think they make more than enough from ads/IAP that they shouldn't have to charge a yearly subscription(or at least not that much).

Regardless off topic sorry.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
As i am not a developer, the highlight is the iCloud storage.
I use Dropbox a lot but the ability to now store my photos in something directly accessible to IOS is a big winner for me.

Soldato
Always had a thought of learning Objective-C but it seems Swift could be a kicker to actually learning something. Already got the iBook and nothing seems too daunting so far. Mind you, I'm only on page 60-odd of 700 so there's still time.

Man of Honour
This is such a huge update. They're finally starting to open up the 'walled garden' a bit and add in more features and customisation - not massive amounts, but it's a start.

I think iOS 8, matched with the new large screen iPhone 6, could be a clean sweep of the high end phone market, potentially.

Back
Top Bottom