iOS 9

• Thread starter Deleted member 138126
  • Start date
Associate
I don't read articles about products I judge and give my own opinions. iOS just works and always has done.

Android also just works. Biggest difference is that Apple hardware and software is geared for people who are non-technical, also known as 'haven't got a clue'. The Apple experience is awful for people who like things done "their way". I don't want to have to think about whether a video or audio track purchased will be allowed across a range of devices. If I've paid for a track, it better work everywhere. I don't used Apple stuff because all I hear is that it is locked down/restricted. Don't have the same worry with Android, Windows or Linux.

Associate
And to add, I do actually have and used an iPad 3 as I considered it ok for web browsing. Nice size, excellent battery. But then iOS 8 came along and crippled it, like many older devices. Could I roll back to iOS 7? No! Because Apple were wanting me to buy a newer iPad. If all I want a tablet for is basic web browsing and I previously had a fully functional iPad for that purpose, why would I want to spend a significant amount of money on something that adds no benefit? I can buy a decent performing Android tablet, especially a Teclast Chinese import at quarter the price and be able to throw it away after a couple of years to buy an updated model.

Soldato
If you are price sensitive then Apple is not for you.

As for OS upgrades at least the option is there - with Android its pot luck as to whether your device will get any ongoing support. Android is free for a reason.

Permabanned
Burying your head in the sand won't get you very far. I like to keep in touch with developments on both sides of the fence and I'll happily switch sides if one OS really starts to lag behind the other. Sorry but "just works" doesn't cut it any more.

Android also just works. Biggest difference is that Apple hardware and software is geared for people who are non-technical, also known as 'haven't got a clue'. The Apple experience is awful for people who like things done "their way". I don't want to have to think about whether a video or audio track purchased will be allowed across a range of devices. If I've paid for a track, it better work everywhere. I don't used Apple stuff because all I hear is that it is locked down/restricted. Don't have the same worry with Android, Windows or Linux.

Thats alright, an opinion you both have. I still haven't changed mine.

Commissario
I don't want to have to think about whether a video or audio track purchased will be allowed across a range of devices. If I've paid for a track, it better work everywhere. I don't used Apple stuff because all I hear is that it is locked down/restricted. Don't have the same worry with Android, Windows or Linux.
Just so you know - music downloaded from the Apple iTunes store has been DRM free since 2009. I don't know about video, I source mine elsewhere.

Soldato
Android also just works. Biggest difference is that Apple hardware and software is geared for people who are non-technical, also known as 'haven't got a clue'.
Absolutely true. This group of people is known as "the general public". It wouldn't be particularly useful to aim hardware and software at a selection of technical users who make up a fraction of the population.
The Apple experience is awful for people who like things done "their way".
What does this even mean?

I don't want to have to think about whether a video or audio track purchased will be allowed across a range of devices. If I've paid for a track, it better work everywhere.
Luckily, you don't have to think about this, no DRM.

I don't used Apple stuff because all I hear is that it is locked down/restricted. Don't have the same worry with Android, Windows or Linux.
Really, this sums up your statement. You've "heard".

You seem to have this idea that a locked down and/or restrictive device is always a bad thing. The mass market appeal is that the user gets a static experience that is consistent across devices and even platforms, that is difficult to break and is secure. Regardless of any opinions, iOS is no less secure than the competition and is certainly more difficult to break.

Also, what are you comparing? It seems you're comparing all Apple platforms against all other major platforms (whether they be desktop or mobile), which doesn't make much sense. OS X is no more restrictive than Windows is, and the Linux userbase is completely different to that of OS X. iOS is more restrictive than Android, absolutely, however this goes back to my UX point. I very much doubt you're comparing OS X to Android.

Different strokes for different folks. If I weren't now a full-time Linux user I'd be back on OS X, and despite the fact I have an iPhone and it's my preference, I'd still be happy with a Nexus 6P. For the technical bunch it's all much of a muchness, and for the average Joe, it's what they're comfortable with more than anything.

All that being said, I hate Windows. :D

Soldato
Absolutely true. This group of people is known as "the general public". It wouldn't be particularly useful to aim hardware and software at a selection of technical users who make up a fraction of the population.

What does this even mean?

Luckily, you don't have to think about this, no DRM.

Really, this sums up your statement. You've "heard".

You seem to have this idea that a locked down and/or restrictive device is always a bad thing. The mass market appeal is that the user gets a static experience that is consistent across devices and even platforms, that is difficult to break and is secure. Regardless of any opinions, iOS is no less secure than the competition and is certainly more difficult to break.

Also, what are you comparing? It seems you're comparing all Apple platforms against all other major platforms (whether they be desktop or mobile), which doesn't make much sense. OS X is no more restrictive than Windows is, and the Linux userbase is completely different to that of OS X. iOS is more restrictive than Android, absolutely, however this goes back to my UX point. I very much doubt you're comparing OS X to Android.

Different strokes for different folks. If I weren't now a full-time Linux user I'd be back on OS X, and despite the fact I have an iPhone and it's my preference, I'd still be happy with a Nexus 6P. For the technical bunch it's all much of a muchness, and for the average Joe, it's what they're comfortable with more than anything.

All that being said, I hate Windows. :D

Don't iOS users tend to be more tech savvy than users of other platforms? Certainly in my office, the tech savvy people use iPhones, everyone else uses Android (primarily because they don't care about tech so want to spend as little as possible on a smartphone). Pretty sure that technology and feature uptake tends to be a lot higher on iOS than Android.

Soldato
Quite honestly, I doubt that it swings either way. You could make arguments for any type of user purchasing any type of device, e.g. Joe Average doesn't care about smartphones and purchases whatever is cheapest (almost certainly an Android device), or Joe Average doesn't care about smartphones and purchases whatever is well known (almost certainly an iPhone, and probably less frequently nowadays, a Samsung device).

Soldato
Is anyone else having issues with iOS 9.2.1 "forgetting" privacy settings? Occasionally (and sometimes even without an app update), I have to reactivate the privacy settings (camera, motion access etc) on apps when I go into them.

Back
Top Bottom