• Iphone 6s+ - Gold: 128gb

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Iphone 6s+ - Silver: 64gb

Votes: 23 5.9%
  • Iphone 6s+ - Silver: 128gb

Votes: 17 4.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
Anyone else suffer with a dodgy charging/dirty port on an Iphone 6?

Getting to the point where I'm going to have to clean it somehow.

I do now and then. I normally take it to an apple store and ask them to clean it for me, no genius bar appointment required.

When I first bought this I would have voted for it too but the spring in mine is wearing out now. By the end of my drive the phone has slid down and gone silent as the volume buttons have caught on the side of the mount.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well today confirmed how poor the Iphone 6s battery is, 100% @ 10am, 1 hour and 50 minutes of google maps and my phone was completely dead, no other apps open, brightness turned down, absolutely pathetic. A £650 phone shouldn't die that quickly, we used my friends Galaxy s6 edge for google maps and that lasted 3 hours with 30% left over.

Soldato
Is a way to fully cache a single YouTube video so you can listen/watch later?

Found a method, all you do is insert DLV into the URL!! :D

Example:

STANDARD
m.youtube.com/watch?v=waymSm5lP-k

CACHED
m.dlvyoutube.com/watch?v=waymSm5lP-k

Obviously we're using safari so it's not downloading anything but instead it wipes from the cache once you close the tab just like watching a regular youtube video in safari (which you can only do by replacing www. with m.)

Last edited:
Soldato
I think (and it would be nice to get confirmation) that iPhones supplied by 3 are not network locked. They stopped shipping locked phones a few years ago.

As far as I am aware they still lock iPhones at Three. The don't lock their other phones I don't think, just iPhones. This was just over a year ago I checked when I was looking at getting the iPhone 6, so it could have changed since then.

Soldato
Replacing the Touch ID sensor with knock off parts is a potential security exploit, so I can understand the reasons behind it.

Remotely locking devices later via an OS update without communication is not a consumer friendly move from Apple though.

Imagine the Daily Mail headlines : "Local Market trader empties iPhone customer bank accounts" ... ;)

Soldato
It states the repair was to the TouchID module, which is used to secure the device. There could quite easily be code in that 3rd party hardware/firmware that could pull your finger print data off and send it to where ever, so I am totally with Apple on this, locking 3rd party repairs on the phones security module. If they do it with screens then I'd be more annoyed, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

And the guy should have backed up his data, not being able to access anything is his own fault. I take a photo on mine and its instantly in the cloud, along with any other documents I work with in iOS. It also does a full system backup every night. The fault of not being able to access his data lies with him. Maybe the communication from Apple wasn't the best, but that's another matter entirely.

Associate
More like an incentive to stick with iphone. Someone actually looks after security of my phone.

I don't want a phone repair shop to be able to replace my touch-id sensor with a 3rd-party part that has a FBI (or someone elses) backdoor in it.

I'm not worried about my fingerprint data going somewhere. If someone wants to steal mine, they can easily follow me to a pub and take my fingerprint from a pint. However, this is far from being enough to hack TouchID. Not to mention that NSA has had my fingerprints for a decade or so due to crossing US borders.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its a non issue to me as long as its just the security related components. If it stops me replacing the touchscreen for example then its over the line.

Back
Top Bottom