iRacing

Soldato
The Skippy's one of those cars I've meant to try but never got around to. Is it good to drive? I've heard it's a lot like the SRF, which, I'll be honest, put me off a bit as I don't like the rabid oversteer of the SRF and needing to keep some trailing throttle on through corners.

Man of Honour
The Skippy's one of those cars I've meant to try but never got around to. Is it good to drive? I've heard it's a lot like the SRF, which, I'll be honest, put me off a bit as I don't like the rabid oversteer of the SRF and needing to keep some trailing throttle on through corners.

I must admit that when I first drove the Skippy a few years back I wasn't keen. But having gone back to it after tyre model updates it's a nice car to drive. I haven't driven the SRF hardly at all so couldn't give an honest comparison.

I think the main problem with the Skippy is there is high participation and so there are a lot of very fast drivers. Which means there can be less than a second covering 10-12 places on the grid. I think one Lime Rock race I was in this season has the whole grid covered by a second.

Last edited:
Associate
@Muska - How's the OSW build coming along?

Two weeks in and Im really enjoying the game. Love the cleaner racing than Ive experienced in console Forza, despite the odd idiot barging through and sometimes taking me out. Waiting on the starting grid for "go go go!" I take deep breaths to relax!

The MX5 is a good car to learn on, and although I got my D license last night which opens up other eligible formats I think I will continue with the MX5 for a season or two. I just wish the races themselves were available back to back every 30 minutes.

I must say though, getting my OSW Lenze up and running in Assetto Corsa last night the ffb feels more "sophisticated" in that game, the "weight" and hydraulic fluidity felt just right, with every bump in rumble strips coming throuh the wheel.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm looking forward to trying AC with an OSW, you're not the first guy I've heard say that it feels better than iRacing with a DD wheel. I've always felt the opposite with my Fanatec/G27 so it will be interesting to find out.

I've not done much the past week due to injury, if I pulled my finger out I could have it running in a day I think.

More in the Spoiler tag:
22778115042_919e7bda00_c.jpg

It's a little bit further on from here, looks a mess but it's just before it all gets mounted so the IONI can be flashed and checked etc.

22791711561_3c53cbe29d_c.jpg

Servo is looking smart now

22656725430_ec81ff6f73_c.jpg

I just got my first mock up from Sam too, it's near perfect first go!

I have a ton more pictures of everything I've done so far, I'll take some time over the weekend to do a short write up, soon as the Mrs stops finding me jobs to do!

Associate

I took the SRF for a quick drive the other day just to see what it was like, IMO it is nothing like the skip. I actually found it quite tricky to drive

Skippys are great fun, because there is such high participation you can pretty much guarantee you'll have a few cars around you at the same pac

The bottom splits can be a little bit crash happy but you'll get great racing above that

I currently split my time between GT3 and skippys

Did Blancpain Endurance Series on Saturday, 3 hour race at Zolder. Was really good, we were running 4th and then my team mate hit the wall due to a lapped car doing something stupid. Luckily no serious damage and we managed to push on and finish the race in 5th

Soldato
Back in the day...

When the SRF was first introduced way back on the 'old tyre model' both the SRF and Skippy drove pretty similarly, with some very twitchy braking/lift-off/entry oversteer. They've since changed the Skippy dramatically to the fairly neutral/'easy' car it is today and I think the SRF hasn't changed as much, but still less mental. I think the changes are probably making it more accurate, but it is definitely an easier car to drive now than it was.

I actually kinda preferred the old tyre model on the Skippy in terms of fun, but there was no way it was realistic, basically backing it in to every corner, T1 at Summit Point I remember being pretty much completely sideways way before the apex, fun but silly :p

Associate
Given Ive only been playing a few weeks with a new rig setup, was really chuffed to get on the "podium" for first time with a second place finish. Really liking summit point with the mx5.

What next after my first mx5 season (partial)? Do a full season agaon, same series, or other?

Do we know when the Nurburgring will be coming to iRacing, Ive only seen 2015 quoted, no specific date, and theres not much of 2015 left.

On another note, looking to get a bit more sociable with iracing. Join a club or team?

Associate
Apparently the ring is due in the next update, so December

With regards to what to race next, you could stick out another season in the MX5 or move to something like the Skip Barber or Spec Racer Ford

It is best to work your way up through the classes to a degree, as soon as I got the required licence I jumped in the Caddy cos I thought I was ready for a fast car with sequential box etc.

Turns out that wasn't the case, spent many times facing the wrong way and generally making a mess of driving it. Switched to the skip barber and had loads more fun racing and learnt a lot about iRacing

Man of Honour
No racing for me now until December. All my sim hardware has been sold now. I'll be ordering a full Fanatec set up on Black Friday, hopefully they do the same deal as last year and I get the BMW and formula rim for the price of just the BMW rim. Also waiting until then for the V3 pedals to be in stock.

Associate
No racing for me now until December. All my sim hardware has been sold now. I'll be ordering a full Fanatec set up on Black Friday, hopefully they do the same deal as last year and I get the BMW and formula rim for the price of just the BMW rim. Also waiting until then for the V3 pedals to be in stock.

I'm interested to see what Black Friday deals pop up, you have sparked my interest

I don't really need a new wheel but if there is a good deal then why not!

Man of Honour
Fingers crossed for a good deal for you Barmy.

Did you sell your stuff on the iracingnforums? All mine went in under 12hours!

No all on eBay.

I sold my T500 pedals, wheel base and GTE rim separately and cleared £230. Which is way more than I would've got selling as one item. Especially as I had to sell the wheel base as faulty, due to a few minor issues with it. Then there was the G27 I picked up a few weeks back for £75. Sold that for £185, cleared £150 and doubled my money. Fanatec V2 pedals cleared £200, which wasn't bad considering they cost me about £230 last November.

Sold my TH8 shifter in the MM, I think I cleared £45-50 on that, can't remember.

Man of Honour
That G27 was a steal. It had only been used twice, in the original box with all the inserts, bags etc. It was one of the later ones with the updated box art, so it couldn't have been that old either. I was lucky with the Fanatec pedals because the Euro was lower when I bought them and it was before the big price rise. Also the fact that you can't buy them anymore and the V3's are out of stock and more expensive anyway.

I've also been lucky with the fact that Thrustmaster has rebadged the T500 to suit different consoles and bundled them with rubbishy pedals and then rebadged the T500 pedals to TP3A Pro and they all connect into each of the wheel bases.

Associate
after the great advice previously, now started to look at a specific new pc for iracing. I was really hoping to keep the cost to about £700, but think I might have to stretch to £800 or just above (or do I?), looking to start off playing the game on a single screen, but hopefully after about 6 months looking to upgrade to 3 screens :).

Having had a good look on the overclockers site, does this seem a reasonable spec?
Titan Tanto
Intel Core i5-4690 3.50GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor
Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Red (HX24C11BRK2/8-OC)
Seagate SSHD 7200RPM 3.5" 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST1000DX001) SSHD Hybrid Drive
MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Raijintek CPU Cooler,
450W "80+ Bronze" PSU,

I am not really up on what's good and what's not, just looking for a pc that will play the game with good settings and will last a while without having to upgrade

thanks
Dale

Associate
thanks for the reply, don't think I can use anything from my current spec and can not run 3 screens.

The budget I have at the moment is for getting the pc and wheel/pedals, was going to go for the T500RS wheel/pedals, and then later on, at most 6 months get the three screen set up. At the moment I can use a HD 24" monitor or a HD 40" tv

Soldato
You guys have probably probably already seen it, but just a heads up that the normal Black Friday 50% membership deal is back on. The code is PR-49BFACTIVE2015, and gets you a year's sub for $49 - assuming you're already an active member. You can use the code up to 5 times to cover membership up until 2020.

Associate
Cheers :cool:

Gone Elvis, how is your build progressing?

My rim is finished and on its way to me... Might have to sell a kidney now! :eek:

22660561907_63e25d7e51_c.jpg

23071002935_7a21981dc4_c.jpg

Very happy with how its turned out.

Back
Top Bottom