iRacing

Soldato
It's simply because iRacing is extremely poorly optimised, and has massive differences in model detail between the older and newer tracks. I have similar issues on my 980, although I seem to be one of the lucky ones where it sits quite happily without stutters Vsync'd at 60FPS.

Associate
I'm running iRacing on a system built in late 2012 - i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, GTX 680 2GB and 16GB RAM - rather low spec by today's standards, but I'm rather impressed by how well this system is driving a triple screen setup (5760 x 1080). OK so graphics are far away from being maxxed out, but certainly acceptable and gameplay enjoyable. Framerate stays around 80.

Which leads me to my first ever race in rookie with the MX5. Had a great time, even if I did come 11th out of 12th. I just went steady away, avoiding any crashes, learning the ropes and keeping out of people's way, stayuing clean.

Had a very bad beginning, jumping the green light and getting black flagged. Was not sure how to deal with this, headed into the pits after a few laps to clear it, parked up in front of the pit guy with the "brakes on" pole. Was there for what seemed like ages until finally there was a reaction and what appeared to be a tyre change and refuel (obviously needless after 3 or so laps).

I will try to avoid jumping the green lights, but for future ref, how best to deal with black flag - where should I stop in pit lane, how to avoid tyre change? read somewhere about changing AutoResetPitBox in the .ini, or changing settings in the F3 menu???

Can't wait for my next races, loved it.

Man of Honour
It's simply because iRacing is extremely poorly optimised, and has massive differences in model detail between the older and newer tracks. I have similar issues on my 980, although I seem to be one of the lucky ones where it sits quite happily without stutters Vsync'd at 60FPS.

I'm ok with V Sync at 60fps, no stuttering. But I can run the game at more than 60 FPS with the same settings, but the game is unplayable for me with the amount of stuttering. Which is always worse in races than official practice sessions, even if there are more cars on track in the practice session than the race.

I think you're right the game is poorly optimised. They've constantly added updates to the game from day one without ever removing stuff that's no longer needed. I hate to think how big my iRacing install is compared to when I first installed it.

Soldato
One other tip for a rookie, set your spotter frequency to high. Too many people leave it at low and medium, then don't look around to see if there is a gap. Which you should do even if the spotter shouts clear...

Associate
Thanks Chris. is the right place to stop and gear change to N in front of the guy with the brake symbol thingie?

Yep, not sure if you have to be in neutral or just at a halt.

On most circuits, your lollipop man will be stood infront of the garage that bears the number that is the same as your driver number. The driver number is, I think, based upon your irating compared to your fellow racers. So, if your irating suggests that you're likely to win the race, you'll be driver #1 and you'll then most likely find the lollipop man at the end of the pits outside garage #1.

Make sense?

Soldato
Just at a halt. Game takes over from there. At some circuits you can also spot the general area of your pit box by the bright green gazebo thing. ;)

For a faster stop to clear a flag or get a fast repair only then untick begin fuelling, windscreen tear off and all four tyres in the F4 and F5 black boxes.

Man of Honour
Just at a halt. Game takes over from there. At some circuits you can also spot the general area of your pit box by the bright green gazebo thing. ;)

For a faster stop to clear a flag or get a fast repair only then untick begin fuelling, windscreen tear off and all four tyres in the F4 and F5 black boxes.

Be aware you need to do this on the starting grid, while waiting for the lights to go green. If you don't then you can do it while racing or during the drive through pits to your garage.

Associate
thanks for the replies, this is why I thought I would ask on here :), has given me a few things to think about.

This is the vid that blew my mind and thought really need to get into this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMX3eTBVtbo

here is the spec being ran, would be happy with that quality :)

► PC SPECS
----------------------------------------*----------------------------------------***-----------------
M/B: ASUS P6X58D-E
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 @ 4GHz
RAM: 3x Elpida DDR3-1600 4GB (Total 12GB) *UPGRADE
SSD: 4x Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB (RAID 0)
GPU: Radeon HD 7970 OC *NEW
PSU: CMPSU-950TXJP
Display: 3x Dell E2310H 23" (FHD 1920x1080)
USB Sound: Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro

what is V Sync? (sorry for the newb question)

Soldato
VSync = Vertical Synchronisation.
The concept is that it synchronises the output of the graphics card to the monitor refresh rate, which eliminates screen tearing artifacts and on some occasions minor stuttering caused by the mismatch. Screen tearing happens when two output images from the graphics card are combined into one output frame due to mismatched timing rates. There appears to be a tear through the image, hence the name. Have a look on Wikipedia, there's bound to be a article if you want to know more. Some gamers don't like it as they claim it increases input lag.

As for the spec - it looks fine. The i7-920 and board are a few years old, but it's a quad core. CPU technology hasn't moved on massively in the last 5 years. That one is 50% overclocked though. The 7970 graphics are roughly equivalent to the current R9 380. The 12Gb of RAM is overkill, but was likely fitted as the older i7s used RAM sticks in sets of three for performance reason, so the common options were 6GB or 12GB.

If you want to save some money then you can buy similar secondhand. Some of my iRacing mates are happily using similar kit (Dell/HP CAD workstations that they got comedy cheap from work) which they upgraded with a new graphics card and triple screens. The graphics card cost many times that of the PC!

Last edited:
Associate
COTA - I hate the place! Tried to learn it in the C-Spec and couldn't get on with it so I bailed. Now it has come up on the GT3 schedule and I still hate it.

I find it really boring to drive and as a result I don't think I'm giving it maximum effort, anyone else feel the same?

On the other hand, ran Zolder last night for the first time in the skippy and had a blast and the race was good too though I was lucky to avoid the massive wreck behind me! Must have been about 5 cars that got taken out

Man of Honour
COTA - I hate the place! Tried to learn it in the C-Spec and couldn't get on with it so I bailed. Now it has come up on the GT3 schedule and I still hate it.

I find it really boring to drive and as a result I don't think I'm giving it maximum effort, anyone else feel the same?

On the other hand, ran Zolder last night for the first time in the skippy and had a blast and the race was good too though I was lucky to avoid the massive wreck behind me! Must have been about 5 cars that got taken out

I think CoTA is one of the worst tracks on the service. Yet professional drivers seem to like it.

My hate probably comes from a lack of skill to feel comfortable running consistent laps. Having said that, I do like Bathurst but I'm no good at that track either

Man of Honour
At the moment I'm selling a load of stuff on that I don't use anymore or I've managed to buy cheap and sell on at a small profit. All this is to finance a full Fanarec setup.

So I've now sold my T500 pedals and was using the T500 wheel with the Fanatec V2 pedals.

During some wheeling and dealing I've managed to acquire a Logitech G27. So my plan now is to sell on my remaining Thrustmaster gear and that then should be enough cash to order the Fanatec gear. In the mean time use the G27 rather than be without a wheel at all. Then sell the G27 when I'm all Fanatec'd up.

The thing is I set up the G27 in my Obutto last night and within the space of 10 laps I was quicker than I'd been with the T500 and V2 pedal set up.

Don't get me wrong, the FFB of the G27 isn't a patch on the T500, but I think I've been running the T500 far too heavy for all these years, so the ability to turn the wheel quickly has lessened. With the G27 being a lot lighter on default settings I felt like I could react quicker, but also turn in easier. If that makes sense?

At least when I get the Fanatec V2 base I can make adjustments on the fly in game, which should be a big plus over the T500.

I think I'll be waiting until Black Friday before ordering, as last year they were selling the BMW rim with the Formula included for free. So might b worth waiting until then.

Associate
Yay! Just got back into iracing after a 3yr gap, and just won my first ever race :). Granted it was only a mx5 cup race, but it was really pleasing to win my first one. The race itself was a lonely one, as I won by a big margin, but it was so satisfying to be able to reel of lap after lap within a couple of tenths. With all that said, so far on the Oakayama short I have only been able to get down to a 103.2, so there is lots to go to get my times down into the 102's. Anyway it felt great, just wanted to share :)

Soldato
At the moment I'm selling a load of stuff on that I don't use anymore or I've managed to buy cheap and sell on at a small profit. All this is to finance a full Fanarec setup.

So I've now sold my T500 pedals and was using the T500 wheel with the Fanatec V2 pedals.

During some wheeling and dealing I've managed to acquire a Logitech G27. So my plan now is to sell on my remaining Thrustmaster gear and that then should be enough cash to order the Fanatec gear. In the mean time use the G27 rather than be without a wheel at all. Then sell the G27 when I'm all Fanatec'd up.

The thing is I set up the G27 in my Obutto last night and within the space of 10 laps I was quicker than I'd been with the T500 and V2 pedal set up.

Don't get me wrong, the FFB of the G27 isn't a patch on the T500, but I think I've been running the T500 far too heavy for all these years, so the ability to turn the wheel quickly has lessened. With the G27 being a lot lighter on default settings I felt like I could react quicker, but also turn in easier. If that makes sense?

At least when I get the Fanatec V2 base I can make adjustments on the fly in game, which should be a big plus over the T500.

I think I'll be waiting until Black Friday before ordering, as last year they were selling the BMW rim with the Formula included for free. So might b worth waiting until then.

If you're selling your V2 pedals, give me a shout what market you put them on mate...

Cheers

Man of Honour
If you're selling your V2 pedals, give me a shout what market you put them on mate...

Cheers

Planning on keeping the pedals at the minute. That's assuming I don't suddenly become the next Nigel Mansell driving with a G27.

I suppose if the Fanatec fund raising goes really well then the V3 pedals could be an option. If so I'll be sure to give you a heads up.

Associate
Still not managing to get this stop and go thing right. Get black flagged in qualifying by dangerous exit of pits. Pull back into pits and stop in front of the lollop guy. Sit there, nothing happens. What else do I need to do to serve this stop and go. Ended up resetting out of qualifying and going back in.

Aside from that loving the game, itching to progress onwards from rookie, but enjoying learning the craft with the mx5.

Are you gus part of any team? Any OCuk team or hosted races?

Associate
Still not managing to get this stop and go thing right. Get black flagged in qualifying by dangerous exit of pits. Pull back into pits and stop in front of the lollop guy. Sit there, nothing happens. What else do I need to do to serve this stop and go. Ended up resetting out of qualifying and going back in.

Aside from that loving the game, itching to progress onwards from rookie, but enjoying learning the craft with the mx5.

Are you gus part of any team? Any OCuk team or hosted races?

Hey mate in the same boat as you, though on the d-plate. If you pull back in the pits it normally changes tyres and can take a minute plus. Hook me on there (Terry James). No expert at all, but nice to have someone to chat to, and help if I can ;)

Back
Top Bottom