iRacing

Permabanned
Go and make a post on the hardware forum and post what you said in your initial statement, see how it goes...

Im not clued up enough to explain the technical details behind it but many people there will be able to explain it to you far better than I ever could.

Associate
I'm just stating facts. It may well draw more frames, but the calculations between them haven't changed. Go argue with David Tucker on the forum if you know the software he develops better than him!
The physics are decoupled from the renderer. They use interpolation in order to allow the renderer to draw a higher frame rate than 60. The advantage to running an unlocked framerate above 60 FPS on a 60Hz monitor is that when it draws out to its screen it will use the last frame generated by the game. The image presented on screen will therefore be more accurate, in terms of yours and other cars position on the track, than if you were v-synced at 60 FPS. Of course some people can't abide screen tearing or prefer the smoothness of a locked 60 FPS so run with v-sync.

Incidentally note that some of the physics subsystems, such as dampers, run at way above 60hz.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
i have both, 144hz is incomparable. 60hz is Fine but don't ever let yourself see 144 as your wallet will take an immediate hit:)

Associate
60hz ok for racing? I'm so used to 1440p 144hz freesync now? I was thinking of buying 3 brand new 24" 1080p 144hz Freesync screens as I'm worried buying 2 different 1440p screens to match the one I have will look odd as this monitor was £600 alone. Plus, I'll then have the mismatch in colours also. Plus triple 1080p way easier to run than triple 1440p lol. Thats like 11 million pixels where as 4k is only 8 million.

I'll be playing Project Cars 2 and Raceroom as well as iRacing, but we know iRacing is nowhere near as demanding as the more modern racing titles.
If you're set on triples then I'd definitely make sure you stick to 144Hz. Going back to my 60Hz triple 27" 1080p screens from the 90Hz of the Rift is.....yuck. Can't imagine how much worse it would be from 144hz, assuming you are hitting that at the moment.

Soldato
After gaming on a 1440p 144hz freesync panel for a couple years now, the thought of running again on a 60hz non freesync/gsync makes me shudder.

I did want to get 2 more 1440p freesync screens, was just worried about being able to drive eyefinity on triple 27" 1440 144hz screens as that's over 11 million pixels....4k is only just over 8 million pixels.

Soldato
The physics are decoupled from the renderer. They use interpolation in order to allow the renderer to draw a higher frame rate than 60. The advantage to running an unlocked framerate above 60 FPS on a 60Hz monitor is that when it draws out to its screen it will use the last frame generated by the game. The image presented on screen will therefore be more accurate, in terms of yours and other cars position on the track, than if you were v-synced at 60 FPS. Of course some people can't abide screen tearing or prefer the smoothness of a locked 60 FPS so run with v-sync.

Incidentally note that some of the physics subsystems, such as dampers, run at way above 60hz.

I'm well aware of that, I've read the pages of discussion on the forums. I'm not typing out war and peace on an iPhone sat in the hotel bar. ;)

I'm not running v-sync, default setting of 84fps cap. No screen tearing. I'm perfectly happy with it. YMMV.

Those that *want* 144Hz can have it and pay dearly for it. It's nowhere near the advantage on iRacing that it is for FPS players. Some of the fastest guys I've raced against on iRacing used the worst kit, and are currently doing amazing things with a real life car.

Associate
Well I got my road D licence. Going to stick to flinging the Mx 5 round the circuits until next season I think - what are the best options from then for road progression? A lot of people mention the SKIP barber as the next car to learn. What's your opinion?

Man of Honour
Just as a continuation of the conversation regarding screens and frame rate etc.

My GTX 980Ti has basically died, intermittent loss of monitor signal, took me a week of messing around to get to the bottom of things.

So as it stands. I'm now back to a single 1080p 60hz screen using onboard graphics, at basically minimum settings and I'm getting between 75-100 fps at Oulton park in the Skippy. I've just finished 3rd as the #9 car in a 2700 Sof race.

Pretty impressed with onboard graphics actually being playable.

Going to wait now and get a GTX 1070 mini for around £330 when they are in stock sometime next week or see how Vega weighs in, I may even change to team red.

Soldato
My GTX 980Ti has basically died, intermittent loss of monitor signal, took me a week of messing around to get to the bottom of things.

You're not the first person I heard of with that problem. One of my team-mates had a 970 do exactly the same, had a bit of a 'mare getting them to RMA it. One of the DisplayPorts was doing that mid-race so he swapped the screen to the HDMI then that started doing the same a couple weeks later.

Man of Honour
The biggest kicker is it was out of warranty by about a week.

It's all outputs for me.

I had a few issues a month or so back with my middle screen going off mid race for a few seconds. I put it down to it being passed through my amp at the time.

First time be ever had a graphics card failure since starting PC gaming back in about 1998.

Soldato
Consumer law might help you out on that. End of warranty isn't a hard cut-off on expensive goods, you'd expect a £500+ GTX 980 to last more than a couple of years. Play hardball with the retailer, see where you get.

Man of Honour
Overclockers have said out if warranty and try the manufacturer.

A quick Google suggests I need at least proof of purchase to pursue this any further. Which at the moment I don't have.

I checked credit card statement online but that only goes back around 18 months. I'll check bank statement later today. I've turned the house upside down trying to find my invoice. I seem to have found every Overclockers invoice I've ever had, except the one I need.

Probably order a Zotac 1070 mini from a competitor tomorrow or latter on this week for around the £330 mark.

Still managed another 3rd place with a single screen and integrated graphics. I was also on course for a top ten in last night's SOF Skippy race, but a left rear on the grass on the last corner on the penultimate lap spun me off and that was that.

In that SOF race the weather was very weird. Reasonably cool and partly cloudy, yet the track was the most slippy it had felt all week. Much worse than the 101 degree and clear conditions of the open practice about ten minutes before I registered for the race.

Back
Top Bottom