iRacing

Soldato
Ive nearly had enough of the F3 now. Just keep getting taken out even if I leave space to fit 4 cars through! Every time its on the first lap and everytime its by someone out braking themselves. I even got crashed into on the roll to the start line ffs! The driving standards are worse than MX5/Skippy by far.

Soldato
Thank god Summit Point is over and done, I hated that middle section, I could never get it right.

That looks amazing, what sort of setup do you have there? difficult to see from the video but looks really good.

I've not had a PC for years (Mac user) but having recently built myself a pretty decent rig I've been trying few racing games and enjoying them although need to find a way of breaking into online more.

Soldato
That looks amazing, what sort of setup do you have there? difficult to see from the video but looks really good.

I've not had a PC for years (Mac user) but having recently built myself a pretty decent rig I've been trying few racing games and enjoying them although need to find a way of breaking into online more.

Thanks mate. I've put the rig details in the descriptions for people to get an idea of what I'm rocking. Do you mean pc specs inside the box or the whole cockpit setup?

Soldato
Thanks mate. I've put the rig details in the descriptions for people to get an idea of what I'm rocking. Do you mean pc specs inside the box or the whole cockpit setup?

i did mean the cockpit setup, it looks like a 3 monitor setup (I'm presently using a 38" ultrawide) but that looks pretty good!

Don't think I can justify another £3K for another 2 of my monitors though (not yet anyway lol).

I'll have some more questions regarding iRacing soon as I'm just looking into it :)

Soldato
i did mean the cockpit setup, it looks like a 3 monitor setup (I'm presently using a 38" ultrawide) but that looks pretty good!

Don't think I can justify another £3K for another 2 of my monitors though (not yet anyway lol).

I'll have some more questions regarding iRacing soon as I'm just looking into it :)

Using a Simetek K2 rig, a sim labs triple monitor stand and a sparco rev2 seat. The Simetek K2 is very good, very sturdy, brilliantly built. Triple monitor stand was bought to keep the rig and monitors separate so I dont get the vibration. Also mounted an OSP 10" display on the wheel as a 4th screen to display my dash, which I'm using sim dash and dozens of different dashes. The hood I made out of black art foam bought from hobbycraft and the black skirt around the base of monitors is just some cheap black fabric. These are done to for immersion, to make me feel more into the sim.

r7uiyUH.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Using a Simetek K2 rig, a sim labs triple monitor stand and a sparco rev2 seat. The Simetek K2 is very good, very sturdy, brilliantly built. Triple monitor stand was bought to keep the rig and monitors separate so I dont get the vibration. Also mounted an OSP 10" display on the wheel as a 4th screen to display my dash, which I'm using sim dash and dozens of different dashes. The hood I made out of black art foam bought from hobbycraft and the black skirt around the base of monitors is just some cheap black fabric. These are done to for immersion, to make me feel more into the sim.

That is nice setup... thanks for posting. This lockdown is going to cost me a fortune, already spent 6K on the computer due to boredom, but I'm soo tempted now but have to get my VR first I think.

Soldato
I'm not sure but i'd imagine so. I use an early version of the Oculus Rift which is a lower resolution than the Vive.

I'd do some googling before you buy. Prepare to have you mind blown :).

FYI there is a setting within iracing that 'resets' you camera view, so don't worry if you start the game and your view/head is outside the car :p

Associate
I was on first my first podium on the Rookie MX5 race at 9pm but in the end had to settle for 4th. I qualified 5th, got a great start and I was level with 2nd place going into turn 1 which is a right hander and I was stuck on the outside. I dropped back a bit (lost some nerves) and he was about half a car length ahead but I was on the inside for the next corner and took 2nd. I built up a bit of a gap which hovered around 2 seconds and first place built up a good lead. At about lap 8 or 9 wife called me to look out the window at something and I lost my rythym and got an off track and by by this point, 3rd place and 4th had caught me up and got past. I wasn't quick enough to fight for 2nd. Good fun. Glad to get through with just the 1 incident.

Soldato
I've had to put iRacing on the back burner for the moment, I've been roped into an Inter-Services F1 2019 championship with my team. I'm so far behind the curve on F1 2019, that practice is taking up all my sim time... The handling physics just feel so foreign on F1, and I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it.
However if this F1 championship is successful it will hopefully open things up for more funding and bigger better things. Short term pain for longer term gain.

Associate

r7uiyUH.jpg

Did you ever have your screen/s mounted to the rig at any point, currently have mine mounted to the rig and do suffer from some rig sway (nothing to bad) but potential looking to go to the freestanding at some point

p5zydR7.jpg

Soldato
Did you ever have your screen/s mounted to the rig at any point, currently have mine mounted to the rig and do suffer from some rig sway (nothing to bad) but potential looking to go to the freestanding at some point

p5zydR7.jpg

Nice that mate.

No, but I heard others say they had vibration on the screens when mounted to the rig so didnt want to take that chance. Went straight to a separate stand.

Associate
Been getting more used to this, patience begin the key for me.

I now have my B license, so not bad for 2 weeks playing.

Trying to be sensible with my car and track purchases, to keep costs down.

Associate
Nice that mate.

No, but I heard others say they had vibration on the screens when mounted to the rig so didn't want to take that chance. Went straight to a separate stand.

Fair enough, will probably move to the freestanding once bit of normality back. Wanting to add transducers so definitely need to isolate.

Back
Top Bottom