• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is 2gb not enough?

Associate
OP
Im looking to spend about 250 on a card however the nvidia 3gb cards are 300 upwards and the 280s are vastly overpriced by the look of things. The only other cards I can find is a new msi 7950 for 170 bucks or 7970 at 206 bucks but unsure whethrr the xfx 7970 would be a good choice tho

Caporegime
Would the gainward 760 phantom with 4gb vram be a wise choice if I were to use 2 in sli???

Slightly slower than a 670 but not a bad card. Personally, I wouldn't go for a 4GB card unless you deffo intend on going SLI at some stage.

There is a lot of scaremongering in this thread and nothing to back it up and people are showing how 2GB is enough for 1080P. The problem is, this is a debate that will go on and on for a long time and eventually, 2GB will require settings to be turned down (drop MSAA from x4 to x2 for instance).

I agree with you on the 280X prices. They are massively inflated due to mining and not sure of any drops coming. the 770 was always to expensive for my liking but compared to the 280X, it now looks a better price.

Having used 2GB cards for 5760x1080 resolutions, I would have no problem buying a 2GB card now for 1080P gaming but I wouldn't expect it to last a couple of years at max settings, not just because of VRAM but because of the actual grunt needed in games.

Your call Rob and there is plenty of good advice in the thread and plenty of crap but that is for you to decide now :)

Associate
OP
Slightly slower than a 670 but not a bad card. Personally, I wouldn't go for a 4GB card unless you deffo intend on going SLI at some stage.

There is a lot of scaremongering in this thread and nothing to back it up and people are showing how 2GB is enough for 1080P. The problem is, this is a debate that will go on and on for a long time and eventually, 2GB will require settings to be turned down (drop MSAA from x4 to x2 for instance).
I
I agree with you on the 280X prices. They are massively inflated due to mining and not sure of any drops coming. the 770 was always to expensive for my liking but compared to the 280X, it now looks a better price.

Having used 2GB cards for 5760x1080 resolutions, I would have no problem buying a 2GB card now for 1080P gaming but I wouldn't expect it to last a couple of years at max settings, not just because of VRAM but because of the actual grunt needed in games.

Your call Rob and there is plenty of good advice in the thread and plenty of crap but that is for you to decide now :)

I guess reading thru the thread kinda makes it harder. I would defo buy 1 card this week then in 4-6 weeks buy a 2nd one. 330 plus or so in one go is too much for me to shell out at once hence why im looking at as many alternatives as I can. The gainward 760 4gb looks like quite a good card however there are not too many reviews out there running it on sli. Would 2 of them make good use of the 4gb vram?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Dual 760s aren't going to be great at rendering anything that requires the extra VRAM.

Thats the thing being new to pc gaming I dont know that much about things so totally unsure as what to get. Plus dif people obv have dif views on cards as well. Even if I were to say what would be the best choice of gfx card for max 250 there would be so many dif opinions

Caporegime
I guess reading thru the thread kinda makes it harder. I would defo buy 1 card this week then in 4-6 weeks buy a 2nd one. 330 plus or so in one go is too much for me to shell out at once hence why im looking at as many alternatives as I can. The gainward 760 4gb looks like quite a good card however there are not too many reviews out there running it on sli. Would 2 of them make good use of the 4gb vram?

Dual 760s aren't going to be great at rendering anything that requires the extra VRAM.

Yer pretty much spot on Rossi IMO.

Rob, why not wait a couple of weeks and then when funds allow, go for the 780/290? This seems the sensible route in honesty.

Associate
OP
Haha, I am no better but thankfully the Wife is, so she gives me pocket money so I can get 'stuff' (as she calls it) :p

Least you have someone to take care of your cash n keep you in check lol im in sole charge hence the crazy 4 or 5 weeks trying to make a gaming pc that may last a wee while.

part of me thinks I should have just got an xbox1 instead lol

Associate
OP
Spent last hour or so on google and from what I can gather the 4gb gtx 760 is approx 1.2 -1.3 times faster than a single 780ti/titan and faster than an r9 290x. Would this be a correct assumption? If so it kinda makes the idea of getting 2 of them a month apart quite appealing.

Caporegime
Spent last hour or so on google and from what I can gather the 4gb gtx 760 is approx 1.2 -1.3 times faster than a single 780ti/titan and faster than an r9 290x. Would this be a correct assumption? If so it kinda makes the idea of getting 2 of them a month apart quite appealing.

What is the rest of your system before you order? Including PSU make and model please.

Associate
OP
I5 4670k
gigabyte z87x-oc
8gb teamgroup ram 2400 I think its called, its the orange one in ocuk for 55
750w evga psu, bargain for 40 bucks brand new, only used 2 days and was 5 days old
plus pile of wc stuff hence the major problem regarding gfx cards

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom