Is it time to ban LED Headlights

Because of this thread I actually took stock of the queue at the roadworks on my way home. There were about 5 cars in front of me as I pulled up last night. I would say all had the brake lights illuminated whilst stationary.
Couldn't be 100% certain on the very front, but appeared so as when the lights changed the cars seemed to move off and the red lights I could see seemed to pretty much match the number of cars.

Soldato
Is a recommendation not a requirement, hence why it isn't checked for in driving tests or taught in driving lessons.

It doesn't need to be taught in driving lessons, it's in the highway code, which anyone learning to drive in the UK should be reading and be basing their driving on.

Besides which, anyone with a fraction of common sense would understand that the driver behind probably doesn't want to have bright red lights dazzling them, and would show some consideration, by doing so as little as possible.

Soldato
Has anyone tried these yellow tinted 'Night Driving' glasses? I'm really starting to struggle, it's more the proliferation of SUVs than brightness I think. Being in a low car nowadays is a constant onslaught of lights in your eyes! Driving lots more unlit B Roads recently and it's awful.

Soldato
It doesn't need to be taught in driving lessons, it's in the highway code, which anyone learning to drive in the UK should be reading and be basing their driving on.

Besides which, anyone with a fraction of common sense would understand that the driver behind probably doesn't want to have bright red lights dazzling them, and would show some consideration, by doing so as little as possible.
I am the first to agree with you, definately in the highway code but can ever see it being enforced. But there us an issue that some drivers do not realise either, and a 'feature' my car has. Some Audi's, don't know about other manufacturers, have a option of hold assist, not to be confused with hill hold or start assist, whereby when the vehicle comes to a halt the brakes are automatically applied to all four wheels, by applying hydraulic pressure, this in turn illuminates the brake light. Hill hold assist then automatically releases when the car commences to move.
I realise this and let that take place until another vehicle pulls up behind me at which I apply the ehb.
I am sure many drivers that have this option, which I believe has become standard fit on certain models now, do not realise this at all...

Associate
Has anyone tried these yellow tinted 'Night Driving' glasses? .

Sounds like the "Night Hawk" yellow tinted driving glasses from the mid-1950s. Totally useless at stopping or even slightly reducing opposing headlights glare.
Only times I heard my Dad swear were when he still got dazzled by un-dipped or badly aligned headlights.

Thought: If yellow tinted specs work, why not just make the light emitting devices shine yellow? Perhaps the French solved that years ago.

Soldato
Sounds like the "Night Hawk" yellow tinted driving glasses from the mid-1950s. Totally useless at stopping or even slightly reducing opposing headlights glare.
Thought: If yellow tinted specs work, why not just make the light emitting devices shine yellow? Perhaps the French solved that years ago.

perhaps glasses he had were useless.
led's emitting less blue frequencies are less efficient / more expensive ... google stuff about streetlights too.

Soldato
I was "forced" to enjoy this for over 20 mins t'other night. (yeah they were moronically slow at Mc D's) I even switched my headlights off hoping they'd take the hint.
Perhaps I should've put full beam on instead only knowing my luck the lack of air cooling whilst queueing would've blown a bulb !

No I don't expect anyone to watch it all. My daughter made a good point at the end though in that it's a good job she aint epileptic !!

*** Video removed, far too much swearing ***

Sorry for cheesy ch00n. It's on an SD card with about a 1000 others !

Soldato
I was "forced" to enjoy this for over 20 mins t'other night. (yeah they were moronically slow at Mc D's) I even switched my headlights off hoping they'd take the hint.
Perhaps I should've put full beam on instead only knowing my luck the lack of air cooling whilst queueing would've blown a bulb !

No I don't expect anyone to watch it all. My daughter made a good point at the end though in that it's a good job she aint epileptic !!

*** Video removed, far too much swearing ***

Sorry for cheesy ch00n. It's on an SD card with about a 1000 others !

Your windscreen looks filthy so not surprised by the amount glare (at least what can be seen in the video).

Soldato
My Blackvue is mounted above the sweep of the wipers. Yeah I know.. Doh!
I didn't even think about that when I originally installed it !

Trust me, those LED Brakes lights really burned bright !

[EDIT]
You can see how high it's mounted from this footage when it's raining....

Soldato
if brake lights being on, are an indication that handbrake may not be on, then that could also be self-incriminating, in the case that
someone bumps into you from behind and you 'inadvertantly' hit accelerator damaging car in front.

Associate
I am the first to agree with you, definately in the highway code but can ever see it being enforced. But there us an issue that some drivers do not realise either, and a 'feature' my car has. Some Audi's, don't know about other manufacturers, have a option of hold assist, not to be confused with hill hold or start assist, whereby when the vehicle comes to a halt the brakes are automatically applied to all four wheels, by applying hydraulic pressure, this in turn illuminates the brake light. Hill hold assist then automatically releases when the car commences to move.
I realise this and let that take place until another vehicle pulls up behind me at which I apply the ehb.
I am sure many drivers that have this option, which I believe has become standard fit on certain models now, do not realise this at all...
My Seat Alhambra has autohold but the brake lights do not illuminate with that on. My Touareg on the other hand on autohold has the brake lights on. (Alhambra is 2017, Treg is 2015 model) My wife's Q3 with autohold kept the brake lights on.
It seems strange that the same parent company cars have different responses to autohold.

Soldato
My Seat Alhambra has autohold but the brake lights do not illuminate with that on. My Touareg on the other hand on autohold has the brake lights on. (Alhambra is 2017, Treg is 2015 model) My wife's Q3 with autohold kept the brake lights on.
It seems strange that the same parent company cars have different responses to autohold.
It is most odd indeed...

Back
Top Bottom