Is it time to ban LED Headlights

Associate
[QUOTE="jpaul, post: 32486762, member: 96234"
is putting a mirrored surface in your back window to give 4-4 drivers some of their own medicine illegal ?[/QUOTE]

Tempting idea. Just where did I stash that left-over half-mirrored window privacy film :rolleyes:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
You mean like people driving automatics? :rolleyes:
My DSG Golf with auto handbrake does it. Sometimes I put it in P or N and manually activate the handbrake to turn off the brakes.
I've got used it now, but I remember when the 'new' V70 came out 15+ years ago - God Almighty those were bright.. I'd have to squint or look away if I was behind one at some lights!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Which take no more time or effort to put into handbrake & neutral/park than a manual, it's just laziness, pure and simple
Some cars with auto handbrakes will do this, like my Golf. I come to a stop, foot off the brake and then it stays there with the brake lights illuminated. Soz.

Soldato
Some cars with auto handbrakes will do this, like my Golf. I come to a stop, foot off the brake and then it stays there with the brake lights illuminated. Soz.

Wow, really? That's almost as moronic a design decision as DRLs only on the front which light up the dash like you have actual lights on, or indicators which are so small, weak and basically part of the headlight that they may as well not exist if the headlights are on

Soldato
Yes but unlike a manual you're not required/expected to, it's one of the advantages of driving an auto.

Highway code 114:

"In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again"

It doesn't say anything about "unless you're driving an automatic"

Man of Honour
Highway code 114:

"In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again"

It doesn't say anything about "unless you're driving an automatic"

When I stop my automatic, the handbrake activates automatically and I remove my foot from the footbrake. Despite this, the car will illuminate the brake lights for the entire time I am stopped.

Soldato
its the old SHOULD and MUST from the highway code.

wonder if theres stats to prove that autos are safer because of this?

Soldato
When I stop my automatic, the handbrake activates automatically and I remove my foot from the footbrake. Despite this, the car will illuminate the brake lights for the entire time I am stopped.

Yeah, someone posted the same above, just seems stupid that manufacturers are allowed to implement a feature which directly goes against a recommendation in the highway code.

I'm aware of the difference, I was responding to the poster who said you aren't expected to have consideration for the driver behind you if you are driving an automatic.

Unfortunately based on some of the replies, it appears that some cars have a feature which makes you appear to be an inconsiderate lazy **** even if you aren't!! :p (I'd better check if mine does this :S)

Associate

Old being the key word. Used to dislike my brake lights staying on but doesn't bother me now. If you don't stare at them they wont dazzle you.

Back to headlights, I was following a new 7Series yesterday early morning on the way to work with very bright lights and they were set to auto dip as you could see when they changed. However the driver was a moron as approaching a junction a car was waiting to pull out and was being tanned by them as they did not dip. If he was paying attention he would have dipped them manually but people depend on the technology so much they let it take over.

Also saw a renault driving with DRL on the front and no lights on the back....stupid idea manafacturers.

Back
Top Bottom