• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it time to give up and move to consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I appreciate this is probably totally the wrong audience to ask this question but is it time to throw in the towel and switch to console gaming?

GPU prices are obscene to the point it feels morally wrong to spend so much money on a card. Multiple crappy game launchers designed by programmers with no clue about UX. Compare that with the Xbox with a nice interface, a custom graphics chip (subsidised by microsoft) and a game pass available for a few quid a month from the usual digital key sellers.

Cheap pain free gaming on my 75 inch OLED with a sound bar compared to expensive time consuming gaming (drivers, config settings etc.) on a pair of 24 inch ugly monitors.

<Ducks for cover>

Soldato
I love PC’s but it’s been time to move to console for years now if you only care about gaming and don’t want to spend a fortune. PC’s have been getting console ports for a decade+, it’s rare now to get any real exclusives that push boundaries. Not like we used to get back with Doom, Crysis etc. Plus of course the cost of building a PC compared to a console is ridiculous - although that’s largely always been the case.

Last edited:
Associate
No. You can avoid high GPU prices by buying older second hand cards. You can avoid crappy game launchers by not buying games that use them (there are thousands of great games that aren't tied to a specific platform). You can use the same 75" OLED TV and sound bar with a PC, and get higher frame rates with it.

Soldato
I love PC's and have enjoyed upgrading, tweaking and everything related to the experience.

I have a Samsung G9 and an LG C1 hooked up to my PC.

I also have a PS5 that my family use and it pains me to see them playing the latest AAA while I'm tweaking my settings on relatively high end hardware to get a similar experience.

I'm definitely looking to go console exclusive on the next release. It's just become corporate greed with PC hardware now and it's time to move over.

Associate
OP
Sounds like you've already made up your mind so crack on. Not like getting a console is a big investment and if you don't like it you can sell it for a bit less than you paid. Nothing to lose by trying.
I’am already planning my summer build. It makes absolutely no sense from a cost point of view or a even an enjoyable experience point of view but I am from the pre i386 era so will probably never listen to logic!

Soldato
Already have! There’s virtually no pc exclusive titles these days bar a few RTS and strategy games. Or possibly if you want a VR system. Though with the Quest and PSVR2 you no longer need a PC for VR in 2023 either.

Very few scenarios where you’d be missing out by not having a gaming pc IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, I can't ever imagine going back to the console walled gardens and their extremely limited choice of games. The freedom of the PC as a platform means I can play a huge majority of all the video games ever released on any system to date. This week alone I've played games released in four different decades. I guess if you're one of those people who only cares about the latest AAA slop that's served up then it makes no difference where you play it, but I'd sooner stop gaming altogether and take up reading than be restricted to that.

As for prices, the used market is a buyer's paradise right now. You don't need a 4090 for your e-peen.

There's nothing wrong with a PS5 or Xbox Series X.

Anyone who dismisses them need only look at how the last of us remastered launched and ran on high end PC's vs the PS5
It runs at 30fps at 4K on PS5, or 60fps at 1440p. If you have a 120Hz VRR display you can also choose an unstable 40fps 4K mode or unlocked 1440p mode that averages around 75fps. All at lower settings than the maxed out PC version of course. Deeply impressive. Since we're at it, perhaps you'd care to compare how the average ray traced title runs on consoles vs PC? ;)

Associate
OP
No, I can't ever imagine going back to the console walled gardens and their extremely limited choice of games. The freedom of the PC as a platform means I can play a huge majority of all the video games ever released on any system to date. This week alone I've played games released in four different decades. I guess if you're one of those people who only cares about the latest AAA slop that's served up then it makes no difference where you play it, but I'd sooner stop gaming altogether and take up reading than be restricted to that.

As for prices, the used market is a buyer's paradise right now. You don't need a 4090 for your e-peen.

It runs at 30fps at 4K on PS5, or 60fps at 1440p. If you have a 120Hz VRR display you can also choose an unstable 40fps 4K mode or unlocked 1440p mode that averages around 75fps. All at lower settings than the maxed out PC version of course. Deeply impressive. Since we're at it, perhaps you'd care to compare how the average ray traced title runs on consoles vs PC? ;)
That’s a really good point I still dip into an Atari ST emulator now and again but in fairness I can do that on my bog standard work laptop. I’ve also been experimenting with GForce Now cloud gaming on it too.

Soldato
I’am already planning my summer build. It makes absolutely no sense from a cost point of view or a even an enjoyable experience point of view but I am from the pre i386 era so will probably never listen to logic!

Yeah you have to justify the cost and it seems increasingly common now that you pay a lot more in hardware costs for a worse experience, 120+fps but with stutters..(Hogwarts anyone? lol) However, as has been said above, the flexibility of PC gaming can be a huge plus, I too enjoy having access to the biggest library bar none to pick from when I choose.
People who completely dismiss consoles are generally the ones trying to justify the expense to their selves due to buyers remorse.

Last edited:
Soldato
People saying to buy used won't fix anything and I am saying this as a person who uses mainstream parts(like most of my PC gaming mates):
1.)Because new prices of dGPUs are so high,it means secondhand prices are elevated. Unless you can't get some good B-grade/damaged box deal,the prices are too high.
2.)You could get cards which have been mined on,and not looked after. Commercial miners literally washed down cards with water,etc and there was a whole spate of secondhand cards failing.
3.)Most retailers won't give you any warranty for more than a month or two(outside one or two retailers).I have known people who have had cards fail and they are out of pocket.

A lot of brand new sub £350 mainstream dGPUs,are barely faster than what you could get for similar money in 2019! I still remember you could get an RX5700 8GB for as low as £250 in 2019. Now games are even more intensive than back then. An RX6600 or RTX3050 hasn't really moved anything forward.

Plus a lot on here only buy the latest and greatest CPUs,etc. It's not just the investment in a new dGPU,but also making sure the CPU,motherboard,SSD,etc are up to date. You could see reviews showing how Ada Lovelace was actually CPU limited by 2021 CPUs. It's one thing if you have parts you can carry over,but it's not so great if you have to buy new parts including monitors,etc.As a person who uses mainstream parts,the cost of building a reasonable gaming PC is ridiculous now. In fact I can see better deals by buying prebuilt systems.

But the bigger issue is for many people,they simply will use a laptop for normal stuff,so a gaming desktop is an additional system. If you want to run all those older PC games,you can get a laptop with a dGPU for around £600~£700 that will do the job. A console can be had for less than £400. Most people already have a TV as a sunk cost.

Plus there are rumours of a PS5 Pro,etc. So unless mainsteam dGPUS get their act together,a console is excellent value for running AAA games.I see more and more of my friends,not bothering to upgrade their desktops that much now or replacing them with a laptop. For the older games and Indie games they are fine. For the newer AAA stuff they just get a console.

Yeah you have to justify the cost and it seems increasingly common now that you pay a lot more in hardware costs for a worse experience, 120+fps but with stutters..(Hogwarts anyone? lol) However, as has been said above, the flexibility of PC gaming can be a huge plus, I too enjoy having access to the biggest library bar none to pick from when I choose.
People who completely dismiss consoles are generally the ones trying to justify the expense to their selves due to buyers remorse.

For the older games,a cheap laptop with a dGPU for around £600~£700 is fine. For running AAA games,you need to fairly modern CPU,SSD,etc on top of the cost of the dGPU. This is where getting a console makes a lot of sense. Instead of continually upgrading parts in your PC,just get a new console for £400~£500 every few years. No need to worry about upgrading parts or anything. Plus consoles have their own exclusives too.

What is the best sub £300 dGPU now? RX6600 or RX6600XT? We had cards not far off that performance for similar money in 2019. Some of my mates,are wondering,after nearly 4 years when there will be a proper upgrade. Even an RX6700XT is only about 30% faster than an RX5700XT,and you are lucky to find a new one for £350. How is that any good after 4 years?

Nvidia has basically screwed the market,as we should have bigger reductions on Ampere and RDNA2 dGPUs,especially as Nvidia has over $5 billion of unsold inventory(apparently).

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends on what and how you want to play imo.

You can 'easily' match a console performance wise, the issue nowadays is more down to just how poorly ported games perform on pc (to be fair it's not just ports...) and how much eye candy the player wants to turn on. A well optimised pc game just seems to be a thing of the past these days and imo it's partly due to game developers just not putting in the effort and gpu manufacturers wanting to push people into buying their new gpu's (wouldn't be shocked to see some behind the scenes deals going on).

I'd argue most old games are probably more fun too and they also don't include micro-transactions or as many paid dlc's etc which also means you don't need the newest hardware or have to pay quite so much :).

Personally though the biggest issue for me with consoles is the controllers, I just don't enjoy using them compared with keyboard and mouse.

Associate
No consoles first require some compelling new technologies to make them more appealing:
  • SSKAIUT 3.0 or MSKAAIUT 3.0 *1
    • New in version 3.0:
    • Looks far better than native*2
    • Generates extra frames. x2 when you are looking at the screen, and x10 when nobody is looking at the screen
    • Plays the game for you using Better Orientation Targetting Super (BoTS)
    • Makes tea for you
  • Super Game Play and Pass
    • Able to play or pass all the games you wanted to have been seen to have played but did not get the time to actually do.
    • Seamlessly integrates with your SuperWallet so it can purchase all be best goodie boxes and skins while you are busy doing other things (like working to pay for all this).
*1 Sony/Microsoft Super Klever Artificial Intelligence Upsampling Technology.
*2 when compared to a screen coated in motion grease and running Blur™ AA

And similar things which people can get enthusiastic about.

Associate
I'm going in the opposite direction, most truly next gen games that hit the consoles will struggle to maintain a constant 60fps without a reduction in graphical quality.

And even games like a plague tale were only hitting 40hz for me when I owned my series x. I enjoyed playing cod at 120hz but then it was just extra confirmation I could've been doing this for years already...

And don't even get me started on emulators, I'll be able to have a catalogue of games going back to my childhood and all the way to the Xbox 360/PS3 for now with a healthy amount of games running stable and upscaled to 4k and for PS2 games 8K...

Now there are downsides to the PC experience which you've highlighted which is also why I went back to console all those years ago. But with games pass on PC as well and PS titles finding their way to the PC even if years later. I see no particular reason to stay on console (I'm chasing maximum performance)

We will see if my opinion changes once I buy my new PC in May.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Depends on what and how you want to play imo.

You can 'easily' match a console performance wise, the issue nowadays is more down to just how poorly ported games perform on pc (to be fair it's not just ports...) and how much eye candy the player wants to turn on. A well optimised pc game just seems to be a thing of the past these days and imo it's partly due to game developers just not putting in the effort and gpu manufacturers wanting to push people into buying their new gpu's (wouldn't be shocked to see some behind the scenes deals going on).

I'd argue most old games are probably more fun too and they also don't include micro-transactions or as many paid dlc's etc which also means you don't need the newest hardware or have to pay quite so much :).

Personally though the biggest issue for me with consoles is the controllers, I just don't enjoy using them compared with keyboard and mouse.
Amen to micro transactions and DLC a complete curse to gaming

Associate
I had a PS5 on launch and found it very lacking vs a PC, started gathering dust when I was done with the exclusives (most of which have been ported to PC now).

It's mainly the terrible backwards compatibility with most older games left at 900p/30fps or unavailable, stuck with a controller only so I would avoid all first person style games and I'm not a fan of paying for the online + expensive games. On PC I barely spend anything for games each year, £25 a pop for Elden Ring/Dying Light 2 last year and £35 for RE4 this month + gamepass + backlog. I was stuck with current gen AAA third person games for the most part on console.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom