Is it worst to wait PCIE 5.0 NVME SSD?

Associate
Hello. My system now running on Samsung 970 evo 250gb M2 ssd. New Corsair MP700 running PCI-E 5.0 and has speed almost 3 times faster https://ssdrive.net/corsair-mp700-1-tb

I want to upgrade my storage to 2 tb, but now I can buy only Samsung 970 evo (because of price). Is it worst to wait PCI-e 5.0 SSD or buy now for next 2-3 years PCIE 3.0 SSD with moderate speed 3000mb/s?

Is PCIE 5.0 really make my system 3 times faster?

A PCIe 5.0 M.2 SSD won't make your sytem any faster unless your motherboard also supports PCIe 5.0. Even if the motherboard does support it, any visible increase in speed is unlikely to be large.

The odds of you being I/O bottlenecked are generally quite small (what's the main workload?), if you're impacted by price have a look at WD, the SN570 and SN770. They don't have DRAM, but perform competitively for stuff like games.

Last edited:
The odds of you being I/O bottlenecked are generally quite small (what's the main workload?), if you're impacted by price have a look at WD, the SN570 and SN770. They don't have DRAM, but perform competitively for stuff like games.
Is DRAMless drives much slower when copying files more than 500gb? I haven't use it yet, but I know that Samsung 980 come without DRAM and now 10$ cheaper than 970 evo. I want Samsung because of Magician, I don't like WD soft.

Is DRAMless drives much slower when copying files more than 500gb? I haven't use it yet, but I know that Samsung 980 come without DRAM and now 10$ cheaper than 970 evo. I want Samsung because of Magician, I don't like WD soft.

500GB? Blimey, SN570 is not the drive for you. SN570 cache on the 1TB model is only 12GB (according to TPU), on the 1TB model of the 980 (non-Pro) it is 160GB.

First Gen pcie5 drives are not worth it, I'd avoid them

Here is the problem with first gen pcie5 drives:

* Expensive, try $800usd for 2TB expensive!

* Run hot, with roughly double the heat output of pcie4

* Use more power, with roughly double the wattage compared to pcie4

* Only 40% higher sequential reads - for all that money, heat and power draw it's only has 40% improvement in large file transfers

* Requires active cooling: Due to the large amount of heat they produce, they require cooling with a fan

I would seriously wait a year or two for better pcie5 controllers to be developed so that they can produce drives which output less heat, so don't need active cooling and supported faster speeds

Last edited:
:cry: Unbelievable tech news websites still mentioned Kakaku as Japanese retailer. :o :rolleyes:

Kakaku is NOT a retailer!!! Kakaku is Japanese price and product comparison website just like pricespy and others.

I noticed shop removed CFD Gaming PCIe Gen5 SSDs prices on Kakaku website. These SSDs will be available at the end of January 2023. We probably will see cheaper PCIe Gen5 SSDs from other brands around January or February 2023.

Here is another problem with pcie5

It appears for some reason that your motherboard quality and chipset matters

Some websites have their hands on Phison gen5 test drives and what they've found is that pcie5 drives run 30% faster in random read/write on a high end motherboard compared to lower end boards

Last edited:
Main issue with gen 5 drives is that they need active cooling (or seem to) - So you have tiny little laptop fans cooling your SSD< great, more noise introduced.

I'll stick with Gen 4 until active cooling is no longer a req lol.

Also, I went from a 970 Evo Plus gen 3 to a 990 Pro gen 4, in day to day use and gaming, see zero difference at all. The increased bandwidth and IOPS however is more useful for my productivity workloads and transfers. So for actual work, sure, but not for anything else.

I watched a review comparing gen 3 vs gen 4 too in the worst game example where those games loaded slow anyway, the biggest difference measured was 8 seconds between gen 3 and gen 4 on a 990 Pro.

TBH if Samsung did not send me a15% discount code for my birthday then I'd still be on the 970 Evo Plus.

Last edited:
Main issue with gen 5 drives is that they need active cooling (or seem to) - So you have tiny little laptop fans cooling your SSD< great, more noise introduced.

I'll stick with Gen 4 until active cooling is no longer a req lol.

Also, I went from a 970 Evo Plus gen 3 to a 990 Pro gen 4, in day to day use and gaming, see zero difference at all. The increased bandwidth and IOPS however is more useful for my productivity workloads and transfers. So for actual work, sure, but not for anything else.

I watched a review comparing gen 3 vs gen 4 too in the worst game example where those games loaded slow anyway, the biggest difference measured was 8 seconds between gen 3 and gen 4 on a 990 Pro.

TBH if Samsung did not send me a15% discount code for my birthday then I'd still be on the 970 Evo Plus.

MSI first PCIE 5 SSDs Spatium M570 and M570 Pro available in Q2 2023 will not have active cooling.

It will be interesting in 3 weeks time to see how PCIE5, PCIE4, PCIE3 and new firmwares supported directstorage to see how first directstorage game Forspoken measured differences in loading and bandwidth.

Last edited:

MSI first PCIE 5 SSDs Spatium M570 and M570 Pro available in Q2 2023 will not have active cooling.

It will be interesting in 3 weeks time to see how PCIE5, PCIE4, PCIE3 and new firmwares supported directstorage to see how first directstorage game Forspoken measured differences in loading and bandwidth.

No fan but it has a big heatsink and a vapour chamber plate that sits between the ssd and the heatsink

At the end of the day, first generation gen5 drives have double the power consumption of gen4 so they need significantly better cooling to keep temps under control of you want to be able to sustain the read and write speed. Direct Storage is known to be very heavy on the drive and it will make drives throttle that can't keep up

Last edited:
Face it motherboards in the consumer space should have U.2 ports, so you can have that as an option as well. Or if you really want to stick with the m.2 form factor they need to support more lanes so you can put a 4x 4-lane expansion card in a PCI-E slot with a large surface area heatsink.
Sadly if you play games or use productivity software that benefits from using a modern high end GPU then you already covered 4 slots of your board so would be SOL anyhow.

Face it motherboards in the consumer space should have U.2 ports, so you can have that as an option as well. Or if you really want to stick with the m.2 form factor they need to support more lanes so you can put a 4x 4-lane expansion card in a PCI-E slot with a large surface area heatsink.
Sadly if you play games or use productivity software that benefits from using a modern high end GPU then you already covered 4 slots of your board so would be SOL anyhow.
No. U.2 and m.2 ports are not effective, both are limited with up to maximum 4 PCI Express lanes, they will be bottlenecked very soon with PCI Express 5.0 SSDs and beyond. Both U.2 and m.2 ports will be phase out to join with SATA, SATA Express, IDE and EIDE. U.2 already had successor called EDSFF (Enterprise and Datacenter SSD Form Factor) E1 and E3 which are more effective with fewer pins than U.2. E1 and E3 did not required fans on heatsinks, you can really only fit 10 U.2 SSDs with heatsink fans in a 1U server chassis compared to 24 E1.S SSDs with heatsinks in same 1U server chassis. E1 supported maximum 8 PCI Express lanes and E3 supported maximum 16 PCI Express lanes. Gen-Z developed E1 and E3 scalable 1C, 2C, 4C, 4C+ and 4C-HP connectors and cables.

“If you look at the bigger question of where PCs are going, there’s an understanding that, for example, the M.2 PCIe Gen5 card, as it is today, has reached the limit of where it can go. The connector will become a bottleneck for future speed increases,” said Jean. “So new connectors are being developed and they’ll be available in the next few years. They will greatly increase both the signal integrity and the heat dissipation capability through conduction to the motherboard. These new connectors may allow us to avoid putting fans on SSDs.”

I think Gen-Z are currently work on develop new scalable SSD connectors for consumer motherboards that will be m.2 successor and maybe new scalable ports and cables that will replace all 6 SATA ports and SATA cables that will be available in next few years time we will not need to put heatsink fans on PCI Express 5.0/6.0/7.0 SSDs.

Last edited:
No fan but it has a big heatsink and a vapour chamber plate that sits between the ssd and the heatsink

At the end of the day, first generation gen5 drives have double the power consumption of gen4 so they need significantly better cooling to keep temps under control of you want to be able to sustain the read and write speed. Direct Storage is known to be very heavy on the drive and it will make drives throttle that can't keep up
First generation Gen5 SSDs have double power consumption of Gen4??? :confused: I only see 1 result of power consumption from Phison E26 ES so far as Samsung, Western Digital, ADATA and Crucial did not have PCIE5 SSDs out to test yet so it impossible to find if their PCIE5 SSD have double power consumption over their old PCIE4 SSDs.

Not maximum power consumption accorded to tomshardware preview 50GB file folder copy benchmark, the chart showed PCIE5 Phison E26 2TB ES used 11.41W but the first directstorage PCIE4 SSD Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus-G 2TB used 9.42W, that 2.1W more than PCIE4 with Phison E18 controller so it not double power consumption.

Tomshardware tested 8 SSDs on 50GB file folder copy benchmark showed average and maximum power consumption.

Acer Predator GM7000 2TB 3.62-7.02W
Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB - Solidigm Driver 3.97-5.97W
Samsung 990 Pro 2TB - Full Power Mode 4.03-5.92W
WD Black SN850X 2TB - Game Mode Off 4.07-6.83W
Adata Legend 960 2TB 4.36-8.28W
Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus-G 2TB 4.87-8.91W
Kingston Fury Renegade 2TB 4.92-9.42W
Phison P55026-E26 2TB ES 6.99-11.41W

DirectStorage games probably have same maximum power consumption as above 50GB file folder copy benchmark.

HotHardware tested directstorage BulkLoadDemo with Phison P55026-E26 2TB ES showed 5.5GB loaded in 0.37 sec used 14.98GB bandwidth!

Very poor result for PCIE5, that did not looked very impressed for PCIE5 on AMD Ryzen 9 7950X CPU, RTX 3080 and Asus ROG CrossHair X670E Hero motherboard.

I already saw some very impressed results for PCIE4.

6.08GB loaded in 0.40 sec used 15.38GB bandwidth on 13700KF CPU, RTX 4090 and ASUS ROG Strix Z690 motherboard

8.68GB loaded in 0.48 sec used 17.93GB bandwidth on 13700K CPU, RTX 3090, Samsung 980 Pro and ASUS ROG Strix Z690 motherboard

9.14GB loaded in 0.42 sec used 21.67GB bandwidth on 12900K CPU, ARC A770 16GB, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB and ASUS ROG Strix Z690 motherboard

2 weeks ago I watched Compusemble on youtube tested directstorage BulkLoadDemo benchmarks on Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus-G to compared to other SSDs brands showed 6.69GB loaded in 0.37 sec used 18.24GB bandwidth on Ryzen 7 7700X CPU, RTX 3080 Ti and ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WiFi motherboard. Very impressed better result than awful PCIE5 result from HotHardware. Directstorage Expanse benchmark showed read bandwidth 6899.7MB/s on Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus-G while WD Black SN850X not far behind at 6071.8MB/s.

I read comments found something really interesting, Compusemble confirmed Samsung 990 Pro and WD Black SN850X already has DirectStorage optimizations like Phison IO+ Technology firmware on Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus-G.

Compusemble
Compusemble 2 weeks ago (edited)

No, it's a test to see how it performs in DirectStorage workloads. I will be testing the Samsung 990 Pro soon, too, which also has DirectStorage optimizations like the Sabrent and WD do.

5 days ago Compusemble tested Samsung 990 Pro on directstorage BulkLoadDemo showed it loaded 6.69GB in 0.39 sec used 17.16GB bandwidth which is impressed but it peformed very poorly on directstorage Expanse demo showed it read 4685.2MB/s, far much lower than 6899.7MB/s on Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus-G and 6071.8MB/s on WD Black SN850X.

3 days ago Comusemble tested Phison E26 PCIE5 SSD but it did not showed recorded benchmarks but only just charts, Expanse benchmark showed Phison E26 PCIE5 used 7641MB/s, Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus-G used 7003MB/s, WD Black SN850X used 6311MB/s and Samsung 990 Pro still performed poorly 4698MB/s bandwidth. Phison E26 PCIE5 is very close to E18 PCIE4 in Expanse benchmark, not impressed.

When Forspoken released on 24 January 2023, Compusemble confirmed he will tested Forspoken to benchmark compared directstorage performance on Phison E26 PCIE5 SSD, Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus-G, Samsung 990 Pro, WD Black SN850X PCIE4 SSDs and Adata XPG SX8200 Pro PCIE3 SSD.

Just saw Crucial twitter they will launch Crucial PCIE5 SSDs soon.

Someone spotted PC running directstorage bulkloaddemo on Crucial PCIE5 SSD ES at MicronTech booth at CES2023. Running RTX 4090 and possible Crucial P6 or P6 Plus PCIE5 SSD.

Zoomed in pic.

rLjmyeN.jpg

8.68GB loaded in 0.71 sec used 12.24GB bandwidth!

8.68GB Loaded? In 0.71 sec? Used 12.24GB bandwidth? On Crucial PCIE5 SSD with Phison E26 chipset used Phison IO+ Technology firmware? :confused:

Seriously? Jesus that the worst PCIE5 directstorage result I ever saw. :o

0.71 sec loaded on Crucial PCIE5 SSD is just as fast as PCIE3 SSD but slower than 0.50 sec loaded on my Samsung 980 Pro on PCIE3 mode on Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 motherboard and 8700K CPU. :cry: :o

Last edited:
Hello. My system now running on Samsung 970 evo 250gb M2 ssd. New Corsair MP700 running PCI-E 5.0 and has speed almost 3 times faster https://ssdrive.net/corsair-mp700-1-tb

I want to upgrade my storage to 2 tb, but now I can buy only Samsung 970 evo (because of price). Is it worst to wait PCI-e 5.0 SSD or buy now for next 2-3 years PCIE 3.0 SSD with moderate speed 3000mb/s?

Is PCIE 5.0 really make my system 3 times faster?

It very much depends what you are using the drive for. But in my experience, the differences between generations are becoming less important as time goes by. I certainly wouldn't hold back a purchase just waiting for the latest tech.

MSI is seemed the only brand at CES 2023 has very nice thin aluminum heatsink with vapour chamber plate. The thin aluminum heatsink looked similar to my free bundled Xclio heatsink used with Samsung 980 Pro 2TB sit under my RTX 3080 cooler.

Gigabyte take different approach with massive 2 heatpipes heatsink and XPG heatsink have a fan.

I dont know how good Gigabyte massive 2 heatpipes heatsink will be with PCIE5 SSD, maybe Thermalright HR-09-2280 Pro will be better for PCIE5 SSDs without heatsinks if no companies created SSD heatsink with vapour chamber plate like MSI.

I found HR-09-2280 Pro reviews showed heatsink idle temp is 28C, much better than 37C on my Xclio heatsink.

Back
Top Bottom