• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is the extra VRAM really that beneficial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Dude says this:

We answered this on the 10GB enough thread that got locked and previous threads that too got locked the answers you are looking for are there and you just don't acknowledge them or bluff them off. This is why many of us have got tired with this topic as people that know why it benefits them and how are just ignored by the loud minority that keep crying prove it and was done many times but same reply... prove it...

Then proceeds do the exact same:

So as was stated before the people in favour of low VRAM or state there is no need for more can argue this till they go blue and honestly it just feels like trolling to me now and not a real sensible discussion.

Who exactly is in favour of low vram. Please show me this person and where in their post they are saying so?

We literally explained it a few posts above this is not the case. Was also explained in the 3080 thread you mentioned. But you keep ignoring it.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Also 3090s had NVLINK a very important feature for people wanting to use them for professional work (to pool the cuda cores and VRAM 48GB) and some of the games supporting dual NVLINK-ED GPUS. No other cards could do that apart from the 3090/ti not even the 4090...

You have said this many times when the topic comes up.

Good for you lad?

Has anyone ever said to you that NVLINK and using the extra vram for professional work is not worth it?

If someone has use cases for the extra vram and makes sense to pay a huge premium then more power to them :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Dude says this:

Then proceeds do the exact same:

It's all in that thread and others like it , you can read from there on .. We have done this many times now and same back and forth and same two people pretending 10GB is enough but then state we never said we don't want more VRAM but more VRAM means more costs as we saw.. 3080 10GB £650 3080 12GB £1000 starting price and never had an FE MSRP as no FE card and were priced to whatever they could get over £1000 as we saw, 3090 24GB £1400 FE and up for AIBs at the time and we also saw them go to £3000 during that madness .. 3080 10GB were not even £650 as AIBs as we know too..

Now back to the topic is more VRAM beneficial and the simple answer is yes because any computer user knows with time more RAM and VRAM is needed. Also from the link above you will see 10GB was not even enough in 2016 for some games out then..

Associate
Still haven't answered the question..... :cry:

We all know your use case for more vram regardless of extra cost is more justified because you actually "need" it for workload reasons along with the nvlink but for 95% of people on this forum, it is all about gaming so bearing that in mind:

So far we have:

- humbug
- realdeal
- raegun

All basically agreeing it hasn't been beneficial enough to justify the extra cost. So what is your take? Simple yes or no and why.

Where exactly are myself and others ignoring others claims? (although people who post the usual of xyz and don't post anything to back up such claims other than "trust me bro" style of messages, I will disregard especially when videos showcase exactly what is happening e.g. daniel owens 12gb one showing most games barely break 8/9gb dedicated vram usage and don't face the same issues that would be observed on 8gb gpus as shown in his other video). I think you're missing the point we are putting across.... And myself and the others who are making the same point have stated many times that nowadays, there is no excuse for £500+ gpus with less than 12gb so there is no defending happening here like what you and others are insinuating.

I mean the games I've seen him being benchmarks are really low draw distance and low detail games as with many reviewers do.

Daniel Owen has not benchmark world of Warcraft which has huge open and detailed worlds as an example. I've played that with a 4060ti and it's a really bad experience at 1440p, never mind 4k

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

It's all in that thread and others like it , you can read from there on .. We have done this many times now and same back and forth and same two people pretending 10GB is enough but then state we never said we don't want more VRAM but more VRAM means more costs as we saw.. 3080 10GB £650 3080 12GB £1000 starting price and never had an FE MSRP as no FE card and were priced to whatever they could get over £1000 as we saw, 3090 24GB £1400 FE and up for AIBs at the time and we also saw them go to £3000 during that madness .. 3080 10GB were not even £650 as AIBs as we know too..

Now back to the topic is more VRAM beneficial and the simple answer is yes because any computer user knows with time more RAM and VRAM is needed. Also from the link above you will see 10GB was not even enough in 2016 for some games out then..

Lol. You still have not shown me where. Go find the post it was said if it was said so many times, should be easy to find.

Oh and in 2016? Evidence please... Bet it will be another case of not understand the difference between allocated and what vram is actually used.

Soldato
Here is another example right from NVIDIA... Nvidia didn't believe 10GB 3080s for their cloud service was enough and gave them 24GB 3080s...

But they gave the consumers 3080s with 10GB back then ... then later a 3080 12GB at £1000+...

Like i said it's all been done to death this topic... people just need to use the search feature on this forum when asking these questions.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol. You still have not shown me where. Go find the post it was said if it was said so many times, should be easy to find.

Oh and in 2016? Evidence please... Bet it will be another case of not understand the difference between allocated and what vram is actually used.
The proof is in the link and the video in that link... seriously.. If you don't want to click the links with proof I can't really help you... also it won't help no matter what .. because excuses will be made no matter how much proof is given...

Like i said dead topic... just the loud minority ....with their opinion...

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Here is another example right from NVIDIA... Nvidia didn't believe 10GB 3080s for their cloud service was enough and gave them 24GB 3080s...

But they game the consumers 3080s with 10GB back then ... then later a 3080 12GB at £1000+...

Like i said it's all been done to death this topic... people just need to use the search feature on this forum when asking these questions.

Why are you here? If it is done death why come here read it and get wound up?

We ask you questions, you go of find answers to your own questions that no one has asked :cry:

Soldato
Why are you here? If it is done death why come here read it and get wound up?

We ask you questions, you go of find answers to your own questions that no one has asked :cry:

Replying because the questions as i said have been answered and shown them with links that are clearly not watched or read... because the replies coming back so quickly prove ..you are not reading the proof or watching the videos... as would need a lot more time... so as we see your auto reply is to defend this mess of low VRAM in some way or another and as I said feels like trolling...

Enjoy the topic and the silly games...

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The proof is in the link and the video in that link... seriously.. If you don't want to click the links with proof I can't really help you... also it won't help no matter what .. because excuses will be made no matter how much proof is given...

Like i said dead topic... just the loud minority ....with their opinion...

So in that video if I watch I will find the game from 2016 that needs more than 10gb vram and I will also find the post of the person in favour of low vram?

Right...

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
What if a 5070 in two flavours - 6GB vRAM with DLSS 4, or 24GB and no DLSS?

I would want to know the price difference and how good DLSS 4 is. If DLSS 4 can compress memory better and work across all games and was significantly cheaper then I would go for that.

I have a better question though.

How about I tell you I don't have a boner for low vram and price and end result matters and you understand what I'm saying? :D

Associate
Last warning, if you want to discuss or debate that is fine. If you can not do this it maybe best you step away as people will go straight to strikes if they can not control themselves.
most of these threads just get derailed by the high post count regulars bitching at each other anyway so its obv not a deterrent.

when i had my 3080 the vram was such an issue i had to turn off gpu acceleration in browsers and steam as i was playing games that were pushing it to the limit nearly at 1440p with settings up high, on the 4090 ive seen it get into the 15-18gb on some games with browsers hogging some too.

Associate
I would want to know the price difference and how good DLSS 4 is. If DLSS 4 can compress memory better and work across all games and was significantly cheaper then I would go for that.

I have a better question though.

How about I tell you I don't have a boner for low vram and price and end result matters and you understand what I'm saying? :D
I'm not keen for image compression in any form, it's never lossless even in for photos.

Paying good money for further reduction in image quality is strange.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm not keen for image compression in any form, it's never lossless even in for photos.

Paying good money for further reduction in image quality is strange.

We already been though all that. You prefer to stay native and use super sampling. No thanks. That would even cripple a 4090 in latest demanding games. You can kiss RT goodbye trying to do that with most cards I would imagine.

DLSS does just fine for me. I get superior image quality and performance vs native + TAA. Plus get extra performance rather than loosing it.

But that is going of topic.

Associate
We already been though all that. You prefer to stay native and use super sampling. No thanks. That would even cripple a 4090 in latest demanding games. You can kiss RT goodbye trying to do that with most cards I would imagine.

DLSS does just fine for me. I get superior image quality and performance vs native + TAA. Plus get extra performance rather than loosing it.

But that is going of topic.
It's off topic but again you bring in taa as part of your argument base line when it's not even brought up.

It's not a base line thing.

One of the biggest PC releases coming this year still has the option for msaa and taa is not it's base line.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's off topic but again you bring in taa as part of your argument base line when it's not even brought up.

It's not a base line thing.

One of the biggest PC releases coming this year still has the option for msaa and taa is not it's base line.

It's a response to you comment. Won't elaborate as it goes off topic. We been though it already anyway as mention. Your answer was super sampling :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom