• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is the extra VRAM really that beneficial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yea for me it was the only option (other than the 4090) because I knew or at least had a hunch that anything less than 16Gb especially when spending up words of £800 + quid was a slight issue considering the AMD cards have 20Gb +.

Of course the truth is we don't have to turn everything up to 11. If one is ok turning one or two things down then 12Gb is plenty.

It's only when we talk about maxing the graphics that 16Gb becomes part of the conversation.

Thing is unless nvidia completely take the **** the new stuff will have 16gb in the form of a 5070 that will be cheaper and faster than a 4080.

That's why I never let vram bother me. I am surprised you did as you seem to upgrade every gen also. Did you not have a 3080 or 3080 Ti?

If things go as I expect I will be rocking a 5070/5070Ti that will be faster and cheaper than a 4080 and yes, it will have 16gb vram. And in the meantime how many games have I played that needed more than 12gb? A big fat zero :D

Even Cyberpunk maxed out don't use more than 12gb ;)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm sorry but no. It is not up to AMD to do anything. If they don't want to be competivite and just do mid-range, for example, that is their prerogative. If Nvidia want to ship GPUs with limited VRAM, that isn't anything to do with AMD. It seems like some people like to spin Nvidia negatives into AMD negatives to try and deflect that Nvidia doesn't care if it shafts you. "Nvidia did bad... ooooh must have been because AMD didn't do good." Some of the comments in this thread are just lol. We desperately need some new GPUs fast, because going over this same old ground is getting tedious.

It is if they want my money. Simple as that really.

Oh and spinning wtf. What I am saying is reality! Go check my sig which has link to all the Radeon's I have had. Even purchased some from LtMatt. I have no issues with buying amd. I have issues with the crap they have been pulling lately however.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is if they want my money. Simple as that really.

Oh and spinning wtf. What I am saying is reality! Go check my sig which has link to all the Radeon's I have had. Even purchased some from LtMatt. I have no issues with buying amd. I have issues with the crap they have been pulling lately however.
You're wanting them to be something they are not though.

RE: spinning, I said "some people". I didn't say you.

Caporegime
Yep. And it is a good recommendation that I agree with.

Next gen cards are around the corner now and those should have 16gb minimum from the 5070 and up.

Lol. You can look back at posts all the way back from Final Fantasy 15 from years ago where I said it too when it would eat up all 12gb of my titan. But alas it is what it is. Short of going yolo and 4090, it is what it has been.

Had AMD done a better job of being competitive we would not have to put up with it.

Lots of games can and will use vram and more ram if possible, same with cpus, games "can" utilise all cores but when you look at the actual gameplay, all of these things usually made little to no real difference, it's only recently that 8 cores is proving more beneficial over 6 cores but even then it's not a huge difference..... as is the case with vram though, it all comes down to the game and what your use case is.

I still don't have any issue with 10gb based on what I play and my settings/preference i.e. dlss but I am noticing the lack of grunt now and have been for the past 1-2 years in certain titles, same as rdna 2 and 3090 gpus. Getting a 3080 at msrp and saving £750 will go nicely towards 50xx

I'm sorry but no. It is not up to AMD to do anything. If they don't want to be competivite and just do mid-range, for example, that is their prerogative. If Nvidia want to ship GPUs with limited VRAM, that isn't anything to do with AMD. It seems like some people like to spin Nvidia negatives into AMD negatives to try and deflect that Nvidia doesn't care if it shafts you. "Nvidia did bad... ooooh must have been because AMD didn't do good." Some of the comments in this thread are just lol. We desperately need some new GPUs fast, because going over this same old ground is getting tedious.

You need competitive companies in order to get competitive products, without that, companies have no reason to compete or do anything differently. Thank god nvidia still continue to push on without amd being a challenge anyway with regards to innovations like rtx hdr, ray reconstruction, rtx remix and so on.

AMD are not the underdog, white knight like many want people to believe, there was a time when they tried selling little vram and claiming how the speed of hbm would make up for it.... (funnily that article about the fury x got deleted then reuploaded when someone noticed ;) :p)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thing is unless nvidia completely take the **** the new stuff will have 16gb in the form of a 5070 that will be cheaper and faster than a 4080.

That's why I never let vram bother me. I am surprised you did as you seem to upgrade every gen also. Did you not have a 3080 or 3080 Ti?

If things go as I expect I will be rocking a 5070/5070Ti that will be faster and cheaper than a 4080 and yes, it will have 16gb vram. And in the meantime how many games have I played that needed more than 12gb? A big fat zero :D

Even Cyberpunk maxed out don't use more than 12gb ;)
Wonder if there is a way for 14gb via bus size lol

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
You need competitive companies in order to get competitive products, without that, companies have no reason to compete or do anything differently. Thank god nvidia still continue to push on without amd being a challenge anyway with regards to innovations like rtx hdr, ray reconstruction, rtx remix and so on.
I think AMD will always be playing catch up unless some miracle happens with refreshed RDNA4 in the Ray Tracing department. Getting back to my point though I was trying to make is that some people like to try and justify Nvidia short comings (be that price, or spec) somehow on AMD. Nvidia will do what it wants as a company and so will AMD. And we don't need to mention all the ray tracing goodness, everyone in the world knows you and mrk love that stuff. :p

Soldato
AMD are not the underdog, white knight like many want people to believe, there was a time when they tried selling little vram and claiming how the speed of hbm would make up for it.... (funnily that article about the fury x got deleted then reuploaded when someone noticed ;) :p)

Just seen your edit. I'd say AMD are the underdog if we're talking Nvidia GPUs vs AMD GPUs and Ray Tracing. But no defo not a white knight. Neither company are. Everything is done for profit and shareholders.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You're wanting them to be something they are not though.

RE: spinning, I said "some people". I didn't say you.

But you took an issue with my post.

Are we not allowed to say it how we see it because it may make amd look bad or annoy some people?

At the end of the day we should be able say how we feel. How else is AMD going to learn what their problem is and how to fix them to get the customers they keep losing to Nvidia back?

At least with me AMD do not need to worry about drivers or some other lame crap people always say about their GPUs. I just want better price for performance or for them to match what Nvidia offer at the very bloody least if they want to just provide a $50 discount.

I am no leather jacket man fan I tell you that. But also won't cut of my nose to spite my face :)

Associate
Nvidia has been pretty stingy with the VRAM for a long time, only time they seem to have given way more than you needed for the time was the 1080 Ti with 11GB and 3090 with 24GB or backwards with the 970 4GB (3.5GB) mess.

Even when the 780 Ti launched 3GB wasn't enough for that card because I remember playing Watch Dogs 1 which only came out a few months later and had nothing but frame drops and game hanging for a second or so all because the VRAM kept running out when the games setting were maxed out, the Titan with it's 6GB had no such issues like that and it was essentially the same card!, if they gave it 4GB then it would have been fine.

If Nvidia doesn't up the VRAM on the 5000 series then it's going to be embarrassing because games especially with DLSS and frame gen on are demanding more and more.

Soldato
Thing is unless nvidia completely take the **** the new stuff will have 16gb in the form of a 5070 that will be cheaper and faster than a 4080
You would like to think so but this is Nvidia we are talking about who dropped a 4070 which was 10% slower than a 3080 though it did get 2gb more VRAM.

I have a feeling the standard 5070 will again end up slower than a 4080 and still only get 12gb VRAM with the upsell being a higher priced 5070ti with 16gb and 5-10% more performance than a 4080.

I think we’ll see something like this.
5060 8gb >> 4060ti perf
5060ti 12gb >> 4070S perf
5070 12gb >> 4070ti super + 5-10%
5070ti 16gb >> 4080 + 5-10%
5080 16gb >> 4090 -5%
5090 24gb >> 4090 + 30%
5090ti 32gb?? >> 4090 + 45%

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You would like to think so but this is Nvidia we are talking about who dropped a 4070 which was 10% slower than a 3080 though it did get 2gb more VRAM.

I have a feeling the standard 5070 will again end up slower than a 4080 and still only get 12gb VRAM with the upsell being a higher priced 5070ti with 16gb and 5-10% more performance than a 4080.

I think we’ll see something like this.
5060 8gb >> 4060ti perf
5060ti 12gb >> 4070S perf
5070 12gb >> 4070ti super + 5-10%
5070ti 16gb >> 4080 + 5-10%
5080 16gb >> 4090 -5%
5090 24gb >> 4090 + 30%
5090ti 32gb?? >> 4090 + 45%

Very possible. Lol

Associate
4090 is a hard stop for nvidia.. because china export barriers
so everyones speculating that the 5080 could be slower than 4090
however, it seems nvidia can work around the TPP constraint by reducing the number of tensor cores
so 5080 could be faster than 4090 without dlss but slower with dlss enabled

Soldato
That's true and rdna 3 is certainly a much more usable/appealing rt solution than rdna 2, with fsr 3.1, hopefully that will remove nvidias advantage here too and things will be much more competitive. Although they still can't do ray reconstruction and rtx hdr, which both provide a big boost to IQ.

So still agree that the extra vram wasn't really beneficial enough to justify the extra cost? (on nvidia side).

I can't remember who it was but they basically debunked humbug as he said the same thing but at the time, there was just no way to do it and if the 3080 was similar price to the 3090 well then there would be no point in the 3080. Nvidia learned this too and also wanted there to be more of a gap in perf hence why they made the 4090 leagues above the 4080 and it worked, loads of people jumped to the 4090 (although didn't help having a xx80 gpu priced at £1200...)
If i was buying at the time on the Nvidia side it would have been the 3080 even with 10gb but i would always feel like it was flawed due to how i look at things. The 3090 for a few hundred more i would have stumped up for but i just seen that card as a rip off so a no go for me.

G J

G J

Associate
Looking at this it’s game dependent.
Not only that I think this video is kinda misleading if all the testing is done on a single RTX 4090 as all this really shows is the VRAM requirements/management of this card which is strange as they have done pretty good videos on this subject before using a variety of cards.

Caporegime
Not only that I think this video is kinda misleading if all the testing is done on a single RTX 4090 as all this really shows is the VRAM requirements/management of this card which is strange as they have done pretty good videos on this subject before using a variety of cards.

Yup it's a very poor video when he was showing the comparisons. Daniel Owens coverage is much more useful and gives proper insight as to what is happening on relevant GPUs.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato

Not sure who'd they'd blame if they (AMD) just stopped making consumer cards, Nvidia maybe... nah you can't blame the company who choses not to do something that would benefit the consumer and not the profit making corporation.

Arguing about putting extra $30 VRAM on a $700 card is absolutely hilarious, 4-5% extra cost for what might mean a lifespan that is 20% longer. Also that is 8GB extra not 4GB, so really it is like 2.5%

I do love reading the comments as well, its almost as funny as anti-social media sometimes

Soldato
Thread still going on? Sadly only DF seems to accurately report implications of low VRAM. Almost everyone else just checks the frame rate.
HUB was reporting as well basically Vram needs to match the current generation of consoles was their conclusion or you're going to run into a shortage because thats the baseline for game devs. Anyone arguing anything else is just ******* in the wind due to sheer bloody obstinacy. Nvidia do it for reasons of planned obsolescence amongst other things force people onto new genarations of cards especially at the lower end.

Great timing by HU again, although these tubers are about two years behind this forums threads.

They've covered it in the past as well:

Last edited:
Soldato
Great timing by HU again, although these tubers are about two years behind this forums threads.
Checked my 3080 vid publish date, it was Jan 2022.

Hubs vid, I wasn't expecting that data.

I knew that 8Gb was a bust on my 3070, and yes in my experience-the 3080 could struggle unless you dropped textures in a few games back when I had it, but I never thought for a minute the 3080 would be struggling for vram without RT'ing even at 1080p in a 2023 release.

Yes you can DLSS it but having to turn on DLSS for RT'ing@1080p on last gens flagship gpu on Nv titles-DLSS@1080p, no wonder a lot(not all) will only run raster when the 3080's even struggling running RT'ing now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom