• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is the extra VRAM really that beneficial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Consoles have a unified memory architecture so can afford to stream in realtime without issue. PCs do not have this (yet). DirectStorage should change all that but it's still early days for the tech and we won't see the real gains until at least gen 2 DS games are out in full force. So likely 2025 onwards at the earliest.

Soldato
Consoles have a unified memory architecture so can afford to stream in realtime without issue. PCs do not have this (yet). DirectStorage should change all that but it's still early days for the tech and we won't see the real gains until at least gen 2 DS games are out in full force. So likely 2025 onwards at the earliest.
Unified memory has nothing to do with it. It’s about streaming data from storage (the PS5 has dedicated hardware for this). The reason it’s done for consoles is, they have less memory so its needed. The almost fixed hardware allows devs to optimize and fine tune things so its smooth. It is used on PC, but it’s difficult to do well and keep things smooth. It just easier to use lots of VRAM.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
And if anything it would be better on nvidia cards.

As I have said many times. Not had a single issue with vram on my 4070 Ti yet. But then I always use DLSS when available.

That said 16gb should be the minimum for mid range cards in 2025 imo.

Soldato
The 3080 was the top tier die with 10gb VRAM, 4 years later Nvidia now selling the 3rd tier die with 12gb of VRAM for around that price point yet where is the same level of not more outcry?.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The 3080 was the top tier die with 10gb VRAM, 4 years later Nvidia now selling the 3rd tier die with 12gb of VRAM for around that price point yet where is the same level of not more outcry?.

You do that enough that there is no need for anyone else :p

Last edited:
Caporegime

Would be interesting to see some videos on the 10gb 3080 (having said that, it's easy to see from his "dedicated" vram readings, 10gb would also be just fine), I'm sure there would be some cases especially if at 4k with no upscaling but as said earlier, I have played a lot of games and just not encountered any issues outside of a couple poorly optimised games on launch day (which got resolved) to modded cp 2077.

And if anything it would be better on nvidia cards.

As I have said many times. Not had a single issue with vram on my 4070 Ti yet. But then I always use DLSS when available.

That said 16gb should be the minimum for mid range cards in 2025 imo.

Yup that is very true, I forgot about amd gpus not being as well optimised when it came to vram usage/allocation:

Last edited:
Associate
sometimes its just a case of developers abusing additional resources
another example: why optimize the game when you can meet 60 fps target with dlss enabled?
true for windows as well.. i believe: oh now since the computers are getting faster lets throw in a truckload of bloatware

Last edited:
Caporegime
better to have too little RAM than a disgusting doubling of the price of the XX80 range

Exactly.

And the fact that most people still aren't answering the "has the extra vram proved beneficial enough to justify the extra cost" says it all (well humbug answered tbf to him)

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
The GPU’s 16x PCI-e bus on the PC is massively underutilised. This is easy to test as dropping down from gen 4 to 3 or 16x to 8x (50% drop) hardly affects performance (< 5%). Asset streaming will have to become a must have thing as VRAM will always be limited and the cost of adding more will increase as node shrinks are not great for RAM.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You wouldn't know how it works, you repeat it often enough you always run DLSS.

Nah. Plenty info out there. Even purgatory is posting it. And even in such cases my 12gb 4070 Ti comes out ahead of the 3090 with it's 24gb. Nuf said :D

Bx4eeed.png

Associate
That chart also has the 3080 at about two thirds of the performance of the 68000Xt though, they're generally fairly close other than the VRAM amount, but here it's a marked difference.

Neither are playable, but comparing same generation architectures shows a reasonable difference here.

Caporegime
That chart also has the 3080 at about two thirds of the performance of the 68000Xt though, they're generally fairly close other than the VRAM amount, but here it's a marked difference.

Neither are playable, but comparing same generation architectures shows a reasonable difference here.

That chart is taken from launch day review of AW 2, the game has had many patches since to improve performance etc.

Exactly.

Also, surprise surprise, using a benchmark from when the game first came out and has had multiple patches to improve perf etc. since :cry: I rather reduce settings than play at 30 fps or the obvious choice, use dlss and get a better experience overall..... especially for the ray reconstruction which massively improves IQ as evidenced.

PCGH did an update recently with the new dlc that came out, if we're looking at 1440P:

G9BwyOe.png

9KxEkmN.png

Aside from 4080+ there, no gpu has playable performance there imo so question is then, is likes of a 4080/4090 worthwhile purchase for the rare demanding titles like this?

No doubt, AW 2 is a game which will prefer more vram at res such as 4k, even if you were to use dlss, 12+GB probably is required for the "best" experience (and even more if using nvidias frame gen since it uses more vram).

The only way a 3090 would have ever been worth it imo was:

- if you really couldn't get a 3080 for <£900
- you need the extra vram for workloads
- you mod your games with extreme high res texture packs

"future proofing" as shown is a stupid reason when it comes to purchasing anything these days.

There was a questionable time with some awful releases last year about vram, more so for 8gb gpus but as shown, a few patches came out for such games like TLOU and sorted most of the issues out and now with ue 5+, as also picked up by a few channels, vram optimisation is in a far better place where EU 5 seems to be generally using quite low amounts compared to other games. Snowdrop engine is the best engine to date for vram optimisation and the way it works with the buffer system and thankfully, all of ubi titles will now be using this engine to my knowledge.

The fact that nvidia changed this approach with the 4080 and 4090 shows that they needed to make the xx90 more worthwhile and given how successful the 4090 has been, it's safe to say, from their pov, they did the right thing.

Caporegime
That does include upsampling, however. I was just trying to isolate the vram impact.

Yup don't deny that if you insist on not using upscaling or/and are happy to use no upscaling and play at low fps then grand but as we have said, it then becomes a moot point as even the gpus with more vram will either have to sacrifice settings or/and use upscaling too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom