Is this new Hindu school funded by taxpayer's money?

Commissario
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7615539.stm

That, and it is... Why the hell does an ethnic minority get special financial treatment, and get a marble temple and solar panels all over it? How much more per pupil is this costing than what us whities get?

Because it's part funded from charitable money, presumably Hindu charities that might be paying for the "extravagances" and the unusual extras? ;)

Soldato
Why does it have to be a religious school...? I don't see why non-hindus should foot the bill for it.. it's not like there are any new christian schools popping up... right? (I actualy don't know but I get the impression most are very old).

lol nice big misinformed post.
Theres a massive number of new schools popping up around the country FYI, with a massive refurb scheme going on in a lot of others.
a lot of schools are shutting so this can take place, but thats because in a number of places pupil numbers are dropping.
Dont see the problem with this really, if theres aload of Hindus wanting a school why build them a normal one, why not build them something to keep them happy instead?
If I was you lot id be more peed off about _ALL_ the teachers AND pupils getting asus eee netbooks in certain areas - even though they already have local librarys, school computer labs etc. joke imo.

Soldato
Iirc (and I do) my secondary school had a Christian chapel come church, which is no different. It also had a recent 4m revamp (half of it was demolished and re-built). No doubt if the entire building were to be built, chapel included, it would top 10m. It was quite big.

Blah blah blah, it's such a boring boring broken old degraded run down played out record.

Essentially Bes you're looking for something to whinge about. If you're so disturbed by the state of society I suggest you do something to educate yourself as to the realities, and then go ahead and do something to change it.

Soldato
But are any of those bigger than those of the recognised national religion?

I don't have a problem with smaller religious buildings and I expect there to be atleast a few it's just I don't think that there should be a larger building than the biggest CoE church/cathedral etc in the UK as its taking awaay a part of the national identity so to speak.

Caporegime
A very quick google suggests the amount given by the government to build it is anything from about 10 million to 11 million, and it's part voluntary funded to the tune of another 2 million or so**).

How much are Hindus putting into it?

I assume it's like the RC and CoE ones where the church pays a fair whack into it too?

Do Hindus have a large financial institution/system like the RC/COE :confused:

Commissario
From what I understand about 2 million was from charities, presumably Hindu ones, and yes the Hindu's do have large financial institutions although possibly not as large as RC/COE ;) (IIRC the school is being partly run by a bunch of Hindu businessmen from from the financial sector).

Man of Honour
uhh why do we have state supported religious schools at all?? Whatever happened to the separation of powers? (state and religion)

It doesn't exist in a country with an official state religion, you're confusing us with America.

Of course, the irony is that america has legal seperation, and much more religious influence, whereas we allow religion to have influence in our state and are far more secular....

Soldato
If religious schools cost the same as normal schools then fair enough. But the fact is I can tell you now that there is some increased cost. Even if it is just the cost of the extra letters on the sign.

This applies to both CoE and Hindu schools. They should be non religious or private.

My point is I am not religious in any way, so why should I pay for this rubbish. I get no free stuff for not being a believer. How about free stuff for Atheists to make it fair or a tax rebate.

Religion is a choice, it is a luxury and you should pay for it, not me.

Man of Honour
If religious schools cost the same as normal schools then fair enough. But the fact is I can tell you now that there is some increased cost. Even if it is just the cost of the extra letters on the sign.

This applies to both CoE and Hindu schools. They should be non religious or private.

My point is I am not religious in any way, so why should I pay for this rubbish. I get no free stuff for not being a believer. How about free stuff for Atheists to make it fair or a tax rebate.

Compared to all the other government wastage, any additional cost for religious schools (if indeed there is any) is a drop in the ocean. There are far more important and significant wastage areas to be tackled.

If course, the solution is to get the government to stop taking money under duress and spending it on things that can be provided by other parties, but for some reason that's really unpopular in the UK.

I would, however, point out that Atheists are a minority in the UK, a very small one comparatively speaking, so forcing non-religious schools on the majority is entirely unnacceptable if you believe in democracy...

Associate

this

Back
Top Bottom