• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

It looks like the 'real' /affordable RDNA3 + next gen NV desktop launch won't launch until September. Thoughts?

Associate
But it will be a downgrade over the RX6700XT:
1.)Less shaders
2.)Lower memory bandwidth
3.)Less Infinity Cache
4.)PCI-E 8X connection,so more issues on a PCI-E 3.0 system

If it clocked to 3GHZ or higher,it would be similar TFLOPs to an RX6700XT:

So it might just essentially an RX6700XT with 16GB of VRAM,and maybe a tad better RT performance? But it might be worse off at qHD and 4K because Navi 23 had 1/3 the Infinity Cache of Navi 33. Hence it should be £300 at most.

Navi 31 apparently had some issues according to MLID. The RX7950 series might be using a respun and fixed Navi 31.
I apologize, I misread. I meant the 7600XT would be that rather than the 7700xt which should be another MCM card.

Soldato
I apologize, I misread. I meant the 7600XT would be that rather than the 7700xt which should be another MCM card.

I really hope the leak isn't true. Navi 33 needs to stay with the RX7600 series class of dGPUs. Technically if Navi 33 was clocked to 3GHZ,it could get close to an RX6700XT/RX6750XT in rasterised,which would make it close to an RTX3070/RTX3070TI(the RTX4060TI is meant to be around this level of performance). But even if they added 4GB more VRAM,it would be essentially no performance jump over the RX6700XT!

This is increasingly looking like some informal cartel.

Last edited:
Associate
I really hope the leak isn't true. Navi 33 needs to stay with the RX7600 series class of dGPUs. Technically if Navi 33 was clocked to 3GHZ,it could get close to an RX6700XT/RX6750XT in rasterised,which would make it close to an RTX3070/RTX3070TI(the RTX4060TI is meant to be around this level of performance). But even if they added 4GB more VRAM,it would be essentially no performance jump over the RX6700XT!

This is increasingly looking like some informal cartel.
I find very unlikely to have 1 chip for a single model, while the chip below is shared by so many.

Soldato
I find very unlikely to have 1 chip for a single model, while the chip below is shared by so many.

The problem is AMD does bonehead moves like this. For example the RX6500XT being slower than an RX5500XT and having no video decode engine. Or the RX7900XT being priced almost the same as the much faster RX7900XTX.

Last edited:
Associate
The problem is AMD does bonehead moves like this. For example the RX6500XT being slower than an RX5500XT and having no video decode engine. Or the RX7900XT being priced almost the same as the much faster RX7900XTX.
I'm willing to put the 6500XT and below as "cheapest card we can put out in a crisis" move, I do agree on the 7900XT being a daft move which complicated their strategy rather than helping it.
Ironically AMD graphic strategy works best when it sells B2B as flexible and reliable partner, why is it so hard for them to do the same strategy on B2C?
Leave "money is no object" to Nvidia and present yourself as the sensible choice, it's not like they don't have the connections to pull an ecosystem move.

Caporegime

?

This has been somewhat rectified now at least as the XT is £300 cheaper. Also the XTX is only ~12% faster according to techpowerups relative performance charts anyway.

If anything it is the XTX that looks awkwardly priced now.

Soldato
I'm willing to put the 6500XT and below as "cheapest card we can put out in a crisis" move, I do agree on the 7900XT being a daft move which complicated their strategy rather than helping it.
Ironically AMD graphic strategy works best when it sells B2B as flexible and reliable partner, why is it so hard for them to do the same strategy on B2C?
Leave "money is no object" to Nvidia and present yourself as the sensible choice, it's not like they don't have the connections to pull an ecosystem move.
?

This has been somewhat rectified now at least as the XT is £300 cheaper. Also the XTX is only ~12% faster according to techpowerups relative performance charts anyway.

If anything it is the XTX that looks awkwardly priced now.

Now,but not at launch. They always try nonsense like this,and instead give free PR to Nvidia. The launch day reviews are all negative because of the pricing and that is what people will read. People have to understand this is a big problem for AMD and is probably contributing to poor sales. First impressions count.

If they priced it better in the first place,it would have made Nvidia look very overpriced,but the launch day reviews make the RTX4070TI look $100 cheaper. But as usual AMD get too over optimistic with pricing and have to drop it. This happens far more often for AMD than for Nvidia.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think AMD's main problem is still that they can't produce enough Navi31 /top tier GPUs.

I'd guess that they didn't invest enough to begin with, because they weren't sure there would still be enough demand for high end GPUs in 2023.

Always easier to produce less and sell at a higher margin...

In the meantime, I'm sure they'll make lots of money selling Navi33 GPUs to laptop manufacturers...

AMD is still mostly a CPU focused company, they've been focusing on the X3D launch recently.

Producing as many GPUs as Nvidia is the only way they can provide real competition and Nvidia.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think AMD's main problem is still that they can't produce enough Navi31 /top tier GPUs.

I'd guess that they didn't invest enough to begin with, because they weren't sure there would still be enough demand for high end GPUs in 2023.

Always easier to produce less and sell at a higher margin...

AMD is still mostly a CPU focused company, they've been focusing on the X3D launch recently.

That doesn't mean they need to copy Nvidia and make a Navi 33 based RX7700XT. RX7600XT is bad enough.

If not this will be both doing something worse than Turing.

Caporegime
It's now May and I'm still waiting for the real' /affordable RDNA3 + next gen NV desktop cards to appear.

I think you may be waiting a while longer, unless you fancy a 4060 with 8gb ram that will barely be faster (and may be slower in some cases) than the 12gb 3060 it replaces for the same price? :p

Last edited:
Soldato
It seems they want to both sell you last generation performance for only slightly less than last generation performance. Maybe some extra VRAM gets thrown in.
Or maybe not looking at the rumoured 4060/Ti specs!

Or even the earlier placeholder for Navi32 on TPU's database where I think they had it down as 192-bit and 12GB. Currently at 256-bit and 16GB, but time will tell.

Soldato
OP
That doesn't mean they need to copy Nvidia and make a Navi 33 based RX7700XT.
I guess we'll see. I don't think it makes any sense, because it would be slower than a RX 6700 XT or RX 6750 XT, which both sold quite well.

No one would buy it, unless priced cheaper than the last gen.

Also, 8GB of VRAM? Press X to doubt :D

DRAM is supposed to be getting cheaper in 2023.

It would be better to delay further, than release that trash.

Last edited:
Soldato
Or maybe not looking at the rumoured 4060/Ti specs!

Or even the earlier placeholder for Navi32 on TPU's database where I think they had it down as 192-bit and 12GB. Currently at 256-bit and 16GB, but time will tell.
The problem is Nvidia can always refresh the range later with more VRAM.
I guess we'll see. I don't think it makes any sense, because it would be slower than a RX 6700 XT or RX 6750 XT.

No one would buy it, unless priced cheaper than the last gen.

Also, 8GB of VRAM? Press X to doubt :D
If clocked to 3GHZ or a bit more it might match it, and probably AMD will try and chuck 16gb of VRAM onto it. But even then this would be an Nvidia level move.

Soldato
OP
Might as well not release a RX 7700 XT at all (keep producing RX 6700 series), which is probably what AMD thinks too.

Wait for credible news about Navi32 GPUs, particularly mobile versions.

Last edited:
Soldato
Might as well not release a RX 7700 XT at all (keep producing RX 6700 series), which is probably what AMD thinks too.

Wait for credible news about Navi32 GPUs, particularly mobile versions.

A Navi 33 based RX7700XT would be significantly cheaper for them to make. Basically going from a 335MM2 dGPU to a 204MM2 dGPU.

I just hope their marketing people realise copying Nvidia doesn't always mean a winning move.

It's better if they just unlaunch the RX7700XT and make an RX7600XT 16GB for around £300.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Or they could do so something weird, like make the RX 7700 a Navi33 GPU (to produce in bulk), and the XT / XTX a Navi 22 GPU and release it a bit later.

But the VRAM amounts look incorrect, considering the 12GB of the last gen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Or they could do so something weird, like make the RX 7700 a Navi33 GPU (to produce in bulk), and the XT / XTX a Navi 22 GPU and release it a bit later.

But the VRAM amounts look incorrect, considering the 12GB of the last gen.

Why is it so hard for AMD just do the obvious thing:
1.)Full Navi 33=RX7600XT 16GB starting at $300. Close to RX6700 series level performance with more VRAM. Makes RTX4060 8GB look a bit weird.
2.)Full Navi 33=RX7600 8GB starting at $250. The RX6650XT is going as low as £225 now. Undercuts RTX4060 8GB by a decent amount.
3.)Salvaged Navi 33=RX7500XT 8GB starting at $200.The RX6600 is going for as low as £200 now.
4.)Salvaged Navi 33=RX7500 4GB starting at $150. Even it low profile and bus powered. Replaces RX6500XT.

Navi 33 is literally a die shrunk Navi 23,on a more cost effective process,and is smaller. They are not even needing to reduce current pricing either.

Nvidia literally jacking up the price of the RTX3050 replacement,means AMD needs to do minimal at the lower end to still look OK.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom