Item arrived damaged in Denmark

Soldato
OP
Well, well, well, well, well. Take a look at this reply. :) Subbed my real name for Merlin.

"Hi Merlin,

Thanks for your reply. I don't blame you to any extent, Merlin. I really appreciate how patient you were with the whole process and agree that you did a good job packaging the thing. It's definitely bull**** from their part.
As you said, given that I have gone forward with the repair means that I'm willing to cover the cost myself. If you want to contribute to it with a symbolic 50 quid you are welcome to do so but I don't hold you responsible and don't expect anything.

Have a great weekend

Best

Xxxx "

Well now, I AM going to offer him something just because he's being so good about it. Maybe £100. What do you think? I know he's saying I can pay nothing, but well, it's xmas, and I'd feel like a real **** if I didn't pay something and it's still less than my original offer. What do you reckon I should offer guys as a nice gesture?

Associate
Yes as a gesture of goodwill i would send him £100, i know lots will say give him nothing but he seems a nice guy to me and the delivery company are mainly to blame, he was just abit naive in fiddling with it.

Soldato
OP
Yes as a gesture of goodwill i would send him £100, i know lots will say give him nothing but he seems a nice guy to me and the delivery company are mainly to blame, he was just abit naive in fiddling with it.

This, and thank you for saying that, mate. I think it proves he wasn't trying to scam me. In fact when he first received it he asked if he could just return it to me. Ok, even if he might have dropped it himself and was hoping I'd think it was the courier service at fault so he could get his money back, it doesn't look like he was trying a scam by trying to keep it and getting his money back.

So this is a result and I've not had to close my paypal account. Also, the courier has refunded me the £63 shipping and insurance, so if I send him £100, I'm only actually giving £37 of my profit.

Soldato
OP
You got very lucky.

Be more careful in future!

I don't see how I wasn't careful. I did everything I could to make sure I was sending a parcel packaged to the best of my ability. I've been very courteous in all my correspondence with the buyer, never rude, and kept him in the loop with progress. I was careful not to jump at suggestions to close my account and my instinct has worked out good. How much more careful could I have been? :p

Right another question chaps. It appears my bank account attached to my paypal account needs verifying. I don't want to send money using my debit card with paypal as it seems the fees are higher.

It wants me to complete my bank account setup by setting up a direct debit. What do they do if I set up a direct debit? I only want to send a one off payment to this guy. Also, fees. They just take 0.5% of what I send, is that right?

fees.jpg

I should send using the friends and family tab instead of the pay for goods and services tab, right?

Soldato
OP
friends and family will be free. just the conversion rate might suck

I think F&F is only free if sending within UK? Not sure what the conversion fee is for sending pound sterling to Denmark.

Edit: Just sent him the money, and only 50 pence fee to me. Sorted. Finally, I can put this behind me now.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd not pay him anything. The fact he said 'Yeah I went ahead' 'You don't need to pay anything' suggests to me, he realised you'd called his bluff and caught him out.

Soldato
OP
God you people are so bloody negative. The eternal bringers of doom :p

No, it's not going to come back and bite me on the bum. I have it in writing from him. Twice. All this has cost me is £37 of my profit. So instead of £385 profit I get £348 profit. Hardly a big loss for something that had been given to me for free in the 1980s and has just been sitting in my shed for years.

"As you said, given that I have gone forward with the repair means that I'm willing to cover the cost myself. If you want to contribute to it with a symbolic 50 quid you are welcome to do so but I don't hold you responsible and don't expect anything.

Have a great weekend

Best

Xxxx "

Thanks Merlin,

Payment received. I'm very happy we could end this on a positive note and look forward to finally using the reverb, hopefully some time next week.

Best
Xxxx"

Soldato
OP
Lol, he has had the item from you and a free meal with the money you sent him!! Probably didnt cost him anything to fix it. Thats if it was the original item from your case!

Was he Nigerien

So what? He still bought the item direct from me without it costing me any fees on places like ebay, he's made me almost £400 profit for something that cost me nothing and all I've surrendered is £37. He doesn't even know that I got my shipping back. He wins and I win. I've not really lost anything. You're coming across as a bit of a twit to be honest.

Soldato
So what? He still bought the item direct from me without it costing me any fees on places like ebay, he's made me almost £400 profit for something that cost me nothing and all I've surrendered is £37. He doesn't even know that I got my shipping back. He wins and I win. I've not really lost anything. You're coming across as a bit of a twit to be honest.

Lol, says you!! :p

Associate
Agreed, Merlin5's got a result he's happy with so what else matters? He didn't have to give they guy anything, but chose to out of the kindness of his heart. Some people are actually nice you know.

Back
Top Bottom