Item arrived damaged in Denmark

Soldato
OP
If I had seen it then, I would have said something :(

Never mind. The pertinent question you suggested would in fact have been very good. I just wasn't smart enough to think of that :p

If I get to keep my money (unlikely) I'll genuinely ask everyone in this thread that has helped up to this point to trust me their email so I can send them some of my own Haribo sweets. :)

If I don't get to keep my money (likely) you can all give me the "I told you so!" :D

Soldato
OP
Here's the latest guys. He's only gone ahead and started the repair assuming the courier is going to pay out! :rolleyes: He doesn't know yet that the courier washed their hands of it. I think I'm ready to close my paypal account. It asks me if I'm sure I want to close it. Will that disconnect my bank account from paypal or is there a separate thing I have to do in paypal before closing the account? This is what he said..

"Hi,

The unit is with my tech now who is waiting on shipment of new "spring attachments". I thought you had given up on the case as I hadn't heard from you.
He just wrote me 4 lines and sent a picture of the inside to show where the spring had fallen off.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgk44u8896iz63o/12355860_10153617147751293_403889429_o.jpg?dl=0
You are right about that I had freed the cables to see if it was merely cosmetic damage or if I could get the unit to power up. I guess I didn't want to be blamed for the damage myself so decided it was a good idea to put the pieces as they were, after no success of plugging it. I should have been up front with you on that, Im sorry. I was worried that as soon as I say that I had touched the unit, I would be held liable for the damage. I definitely didn't take a hammer to the unit or opened and unhooked the springs and pulled out the "holder". I don't even think I could if I wanted to...
It definitely seems strange that the unit is in such bad shape, considering how well you wrapped it. My only explanation is that the post must have opened it, checked the inside and damaged it in the process.

Either way it's a waiting game with insurance companies, so I decided to go forward with the repair now.
"

Now the thing is, the original quote he sent converts to £400. There's no way I'm going to pay him most of what he paid for the unit AND let him keep it. no one authorised him to do the repair yet so he;s jumping the gun. To be honest, if I offered him £150 I'd still be £300 in profit. If he sends it back to me, I'm losing. What should I do now? He even admits himself how well wrapped it was.

Associate
If you can get PayPal to listen this latest message might work in your favour. I can't see you can reasonably be expected to refund the guy now he's admitted to tampering and has gone ahead with a repair.

On the other hand he could be genuine and perhaps a partial refund is the best way to go, especially if you can still come out of this with some profit.

Soldato
OP
If you can get PayPal to listen this latest message might work in your favour. I can't see you can reasonably be expected to refund the guy now he's admitted to tampering and has gone ahead with a repair.

On the other hand he could be genuine and perhaps a partial refund is the best way to go, especially if you can still come out of this with some profit.

What do you think about me sending this to him?

"Hi Xxxx,

I appreciate this has been long winded, and apologise for the delays. But all I could do was wait for responses from the courier and I've shown you all the email correspondence. As it happens, I've now heard from them again and they've refused to pay out saying that packaging guidelines weren't followed. This is typical insurance company ******** because I'd checked several times with the courier service about the way I'd packaged it before I sent it and they said it was fine. So they've washed their hands of it.

You've now gone ahead and authorised repairs on the assumption that the insurers would pay out, so this is a mistake I'm afraid. The quotation you sent me amounts to £400. This would mean sending you back most of what you paid me and keeping the unit. That's like me giving the unit away for free. I think you have to agree that I have no real proof of the extent of damage. Technically speaking, the unit should be returned to me and then I reimburse you the full amount. Alternatively, I'm quite happy to offer you money for the repair, but not the amount in your quotation as I don't believe it would cost anything like that. I think you should be looking for a cheaper quotation and I'm prepared to send you £150 to cover the repair costs."

Soldato
OP
PayPal will side with him regardless

I understand what you're saying. I'm torn between cancelling my paypal account and risking debt collection, never being able to open a new paypal account and then even if I did, they'd take back the money that they paid him out. Or, making him an offer that he might accept, where I'm still in profit and it avoids the aforementioned inconvenience and risk.

Soldato
I understand what you're saying. I'm torn between cancelling my paypal account and risking debt collection, never being able to open a new paypal account and then even if I did, they'd take back the money that they paid him out. Or, making him an offer that he might accept, where I'm still in profit and it avoids the aforementioned inconvenience and risk.

Paypal.. Debt collection? Lol

They don't care
Your loss of fee's is chump change to them u won't hear nothing from paypal ever again, Just be suspended for life

Caporegime

No reply from the Danish guy yet?

Soldato
Here's the latest guys.

"You are right about that I had freed the cables to see if it was merely cosmetic damage or if I could get the unit to power up. I guess I didn't want to be blamed for the damage myself so decided it was a good idea to put the pieces as they were, after no success of plugging it. I should have been up front with you on that, Im sorry. I was worried that as soon as I say that I had touched the unit, I would be held liable for the damage."

He only admitted to tampering with the plug after you question him about the plug being wired up wrong. He said in his original message that's how it came out of the package. He's lied once already so can't be trusted.

If something arrives damaged and you start messing with it before notifying the retailer I don't see how anyone will take it back. If he posted pictures of the damage with pictures of the packing (he would have noticed if customs has opened it) before trying to change the plug etc then he would have had a better case. He should at the very least kept the packing or taken pictures to allow you to claim against the courier or customs.

I wouldn't offer him anything towards the repairs or a partial refund.

Associate
Cant see how its going to cost £400 to repair, from the pic its only a simple solenoid/pickup coil? arrangement with a spring.
More pics needed

Last edited:
Soldato
He only admitted to tampering with the plug after you question him about the plug being wired up wrong. He said in his original message that's how it came out of the package. He's lied once already so can't be trusted.

If something arrives damaged and you start messing with it before notifying the retailer I don't see how anyone will take it back. If he posted pictures of the damage with pictures of the packing (he would have noticed if customs has opened it) before trying to change the plug etc then he would have had a better case. He should at the very least kept the packing or taken pictures to allow you to claim against the courier or customs.

I find this suspicious too. If you had honestly received something that was damaged, you would have contacted the sender immediately with photos. Not started messing around with it, how do you know that he hasn't damaged the unit further by "messing" around with it?

Caporegime

I missed that bit... open and shut case then!

Soldato
OP
Well regardless if I'm seen as a fool or not, I'm trying to be decent about it and give him some benefit of the doubt. If he refuses my offer, I can use evidence against him as mentioned in the thread of tampering and generally suspicious behaviour. This is what I sent him last night and am now waiting on a response:

Hi Xxxx,

I appreciate this has been long winded, and apologise for the delays. But all I could do was wait for responses from the courier and I've shown you all the email correspondences between us. As it happens, I've now heard from them again and they've refused to pay out saying that packaging guidelines weren't followed. This is typical insurance company bull**** because I'd checked several times with the courier service about the way I'd packaged it before I sent it and they said it was fine. You even said yourself how well it was packaged. So they've washed their hands of it and it's now between us to sort out.

Thing is, you've gone ahead and authorised repairs on the assumption that the insurers would pay out, so this is a mistake I'm afraid. The quotation you sent me a few weeks ago amounts to £400 which is very high. This would mean sending you back pretty much everything you paid me while also keeping the unit. That's like me giving the unit away for free. I think you have to agree that I truly have no real proof of the extent of damage. Technically speaking, the unit should just be returned to me and then I reimburse you the full amount. Alternatively however, I'm quite happy to offer money for the repair, but not the amount in your quotation as I don't believe it would cost anything like that. I think you should be looking for a cheaper quotation and I'm prepared to send you £150 for the repair costs. It comes down to either that or sending the unit back.

Cheers, "

Soldato
Well regardless if I'm seen as a fool or not, I'm trying to be decent about it and give him some benefit of the doubt. If he refuses my offer, I can use evidence against him as mentioned in the thread of tampering and generally suspicious behaviour. This is what I sent him last night and am now waiting on a response:

Hi Xxxx,

I appreciate this has been long winded, and apologise for the delays. But all I could do was wait for responses from the courier and I've shown you all the email correspondences between us. As it happens, I've now heard from them again and they've refused to pay out saying that packaging guidelines weren't followed. This is typical insurance company bull**** because I'd checked several times with the courier service about the way I'd packaged it before I sent it and they said it was fine. You even said yourself how well it was packaged. So they've washed their hands of it and it's now between us to sort out.

Thing is, you've gone ahead and authorised repairs on the assumption that the insurers would pay out, so this is a mistake I'm afraid. The quotation you sent me a few weeks ago amounts to £400 which is very high. This would mean sending you back pretty much everything you paid me while also keeping the unit. That's like me giving the unit away for free. I think you have to agree that I truly have no real proof of the extent of damage. Technically speaking, the unit should just be returned to me and then I reimburse you the full amount. Alternatively however, I'm quite happy to offer money for the repair, but not the amount in your quotation as I don't believe it would cost anything like that. I think you should be looking for a cheaper quotation and I'm prepared to send you £150 for the repair costs. It comes down to either that or sending the unit back.

Cheers, "

Very very foolish of you!

Even telling him that the couriers say that you did not follow the packaging guidelines is foolish! Why give him any ammo?

Send him £150!!! Waw, that is so mad.

Wash your hands of it. You know how it was sent. You know he has tampered with it!

/thread

Soldato
OP
Very very foolish of you!

Even telling him that the couriers say that you did not follow the packaging guidelines is foolish! Why give him any ammo?

Send him £150!!! Waw, that is so mad.

Wash your hands of it. You know how it was sent. You know he has tampered with it!

/thread

With all due respect, it's easy to be a backseat driver and tell me that everything I'm doing is wrong. If I wash my hands of it and paypal gets involved, I could be worse off than just offering him some money where I'm still £300 in profit.

Soldato
I agree with kool here but I can understand Merlin as well you said you were on the forums where you sold it.

Have to looked into other posts by the buyer.

To be honest I've had a few packaging issues over the years and if I ever get something that looks to have been opened by customs (and they always give you a note to say it's been opened) or looks to be damaged then it's immediately photos of packaging and even video or plenty of photos of opening.

Did the tube enter orbit before coming down in Denmark? :p

Maybe it was chucked out of the plane into the guys back garden....

Back
Top Bottom