It's funny how (fuel shortages)

Caporegime
There's not enough lorry drivers in the EU you numpty! Poland has a bigger problem with a shortage of drivers than we do in the U.K.. One born every minute...:rolleyes:

https://trans.info/en/there-s-a-eur...o-uk-supply-chains-seem-more-disrupted-254524

I like how the first article you posted says the difference between Poland and Britain is down to Brexit.

After being asked that very question regarding the driver shortages in Poland and the apparent disparity in supply chain disruption compared to Great Britain, Mr Clover explained that post-Brexit changes have been an additional factor for UK supply chains.

There’s also been a lot of disruption with transhipments from Rotterdam, Antwerp or other Northwestern European ports, while there’s a need for drivers to make those trips from the European ports across to the UK. That has obviously been disrupted by the regulations that need to be attended to in terms of crossing the channel, including COVID testing and and new brexit related paperwork.

Man of Honour
We’ve just had what 18 months of what a tenth of the fuel being used, I think they’ve been caught short, since the schools have gone back the roads have been busier than ever. I don’t think they anticipated how much they need or needed to gear up again.

And the they being the fuel suppliers now blaming drivers brexit and anything else they can think of except themselves
This is an interesting point. Maybe this is a factor too.

Caporegime
This is an interesting point. Maybe this is a factor too.

Of course it is. I explained several pages back how there's not an actual shortage of supply. The problem is a sudden and unexpected increase in demand. Deliveries will be set based upon an expected weekly turnover. When that is suddenly and massively exceeded then suppliers have to react but there is always an inevitable delay.

Man of Honour
Of course it is. I explained several pages back how there's not an actual shortage of supply. The problem is a sudden and unexpected increase in demand. Deliveries will be set based upon an expected weekly turnover. When that is suddenly and massively exceeded then suppliers have to react but there is always an inevitable delay.
I totally understand that there is a sudden and unexpected demand. But that's due to everyone panic buying. The question is what caused the initial minor shortage at a very small number of petrol stations, which then triggered the headlines and the panic buying.

Soldato
I totally understand that there is a sudden and unexpected demand. But that's due to everyone panic buying. The question is what caused the initial minor shortage at a very small number of petrol stations, which then triggered the headlines and the panic buying.

Fairly sure BP and Esso cited a lack of available drivers.

Soldato
Which in turn is due to brexit

Possibly, possibly not. Those in the industry suggest that not many foreign drivers do fuel deliveries (pretty much the most highly paid and skilled version of lorry driving due to licensing requirements, it’s also pretty dangerous. ).

I’d expect COVID has had a fairly large impact, older drivers have called it a day during lockdowns and they’ve not been replaced as others couldn’t get licence and people were driving less so less demand for fuel and deliveries of said fuel. The economy has bounced back and the recruitment of new drivers has not kept pace.

Associate
Which in turn is due to brexit
How many foreign drivers were ADR certified tanker drivers? I'd hazard not many.

It is far more likely that during the past 18 months the massive decline in fuel use caused by COVID has meant tanker drivers had to find other jobs and feel little incentive to return now demand has risen.

Soldato
Brexit is such a large and far sweeping issue, it is unsurprising it is being blamed.

A combination of COVID making folk rethink their choices, a booming economy that has meant folks savings have grown significantly, and they've saved a fortune by spending less.

Throw in IR35 changes and self-employment not making sense anymore for a lot of them.

And then Brexit has cut off a resource pool we would have tapped into previously.

Soldato
How many foreign drivers were ADR certified tanker drivers? I'd hazard not many.

It is far more likely that during the past 18 months the massive decline in fuel use caused by COVID has meant tanker drivers had to find other jobs and feel little incentive to return now demand has risen.

There was no fuel shortage until news blew it out of proportion. Tanker driver jobs are something that doesn't come up often.. BP was the only company that had issues with 20 stations, that was it.

How many times has my local ran out of petrol over the years? A few.. with no shortage of drivers. Funny.

The issue is panic buyers.

Food deliveries etc is different but every country has issues. Germany is bad, Poland is worse than us. But they have no red tape and extremely long and confusing paper work to do when getting food from EU which believe me or not is our main source these days. Hence the delays.. it's a combination of everything and brexit/crap rules is one of the biggest causes for this and future shortages. It's basically a perfect poo storm.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Possibly, possibly not. Those in the industry suggest that not many foreign drivers do fuel deliveries (pretty much the most highly paid and skilled version of lorry driving due to licensing requirements, it’s also pretty dangerous. ).

I’d expect COVID has had a fairly large impact, older drivers have called it a day during lockdowns and they’ve not been replaced as others couldn’t get licence and people were driving less so less demand for fuel and deliveries of said fuel. The economy has bounced back and the recruitment of new drivers has not kept pace.

What a load of ****, Its a 1 day course and the only thing you need to do is stick a earth spike under your back tyre when your dumping the fuel to pump or filling the wagon. Oh and how to phone the firebrigage if you get a leak even if your have the absorbent snakes.

Its one of those skilled jobs that has been riddled by health and safety idiots who have nothing better to do than justify their own existence in the workplace.

Back
Top Bottom