It's funny how (fuel shortages)

Soldato
the fact that there's still deliveries being made to forecourts should be an indicator that it's not as big an issue as it's being made out to be

even in London...how many times have you seen a fuel tanker at a forecourt? I'm guessing not too many, in 20 odd years driving it's not something I've seen often (I don't live in London tho...)

now it's 'oh there's a fuel delivery at x station', must go get fuel!

can't say for certain but it seems current demand has outstripped supply

so has demand increased or supply fallen?

answers in a postcard
There are plenty of people who have wanted to get fuel for the past week and are now having to, so there will still be queues in some places. With forecourts saying they've sold a months worth of fuel in 2 days, it's going to take a while to replenish all that stock.

Soldato
But why? especially in london whee most people work from home or can take public transport easily to get around
It’s probably for that very reason. A hell of a lot of people who don’t need regular fills suddenly panic filling.
Exactly. London is incredibly densely populated and there's still a ****-ton of cars even if they get used less. The roads still fill up every day so while there's public transport there's also probably a million individual car journeys a day.

I'm on 4L but that's ~40 miles or about 5 round trips, given I only drive to see family here and there. I'll fill up when things calm down.

Soldato
I am waiting for the media particularly the BBC to apologise for creating this **** storm in the first place and then reporting on it as an actual fuel shortage when the country has a 60 day store of road fuel. The BBC should have its licence curtailed for false reporting. Expletive rhyming with "tankers".

Soldato
These fuel issues will cause cancellations in hospitality and tourism which has struggled most of the last 18 months.

People probably are cancelling mini breaks, visits to tourist attractions as struggling to get fuel. Saving what fuel they have in their cars for day to day stuff - work, food shopping, medical reasons. Same reasons to leave home in early lockdowns.
We were set to go to Wales on Tuesday. I was already considering cancelling because of the weather, the fuel thing made it an easy choice.

Caporegime
I am waiting for the media particularly the BBC to apologise for creating this **** storm in the first place and then reporting on it as an actual fuel shortage when the country has a 60 day store of road fuel. The BBC should have its licence curtailed for false reporting. Expletive rhyming with "tankers".

The media is just providing for their market, it's the market that's the problem.

Soldato

In the words of Trump,, 'fake news'. :p

I don't think it's any great surprise since the presence of women has become more dominant in the media we've been led to see far more sensationalist and hysteria induced stories. The BBC is gradually losing its respect it held day by day.

Soldato
Panic buying IMO for fuel is when see people fill up with less than 10 litres for a normal size car and 20 litres for cars with tanks with 50l+ capacity. When you pull up to a pump, the display shows how much fuel was fed into previous vehicle and price.

Anyone who still fills £10 are imo, fools. Esp when they can afford to fill up more. As It will get you 7-7.5l. When I first got a car in 2004 fuel was about 87p a litre. A tenner's worth back then was just under 11.5 litres, 55% more than today.

Always have filled up to the brim, even when I was unemployed.

Man of Honour
I was surprised to see the longest queue yet outside the main petrol station on my route (at 6am!). So much for it getting better. People seem to be getting more and more desperate.

Soldato
I was surprised to see the longest queue yet outside the main petrol station on my route (at 6am!). So much for it getting better. People seem to be getting more and more desperate.

The one past my gym just now was relatively quiet and open, people don't seem as desperate anymore....

Caporegime
Ugh Try working in a major factory local stations are emptied by every idiot sticking a fiver in every roatation.

A months worth of fuel in a few days my place is reporting

Soldato
Tried to get some this morning, all stations in my town have no fuel. Certainly is not getting better here.

Not surprising for me, if most are out of fuel then the one that does have some will have much more demand placed upon it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I managed to get some last night. Went to four stations and finally managed to find a working pump for regular unleaded. It was the last pump working at that forecourt so they were about to run out. Another place did have diesel but obviously that was no good to me.

Back
Top Bottom