It's snowing

_MG_8271_2_stitch-Edit.jpg

From the office this morning, moments before the few of us that managed to get in were told we could go home :D

Centre section outside, a big roundabout is there, somewhere :D

hasn't stopped snowing for about 12hours here... however its very fine stuff and not any inches. Just went for a drive further north to the countryside and they seem to have less than us, plus all there roads are fine. Probably because they ain't spending all there tax money on rubbish like benefits?

As promised, a picture dump from my 3am walk around Brighton town last night:

My street (I can hear the OcUK detectives working out where I live right now!):
dsc03622e.jpg

Sorry about the clarity, my cameras not that good, and my hands were shaking:
dsc03623w.jpg

dsc03625x.jpg

A couple of shots from the Pavillion gardens:
dsc036270.jpg

dsc03628n.jpg

The sea looked particularly ominous and black last night...:
dsc03629j.jpg

The new(ish) Bandstand, looking pretty amazing:
dsc03632ax.jpg

dsc03633yu.jpg

Hove lawns:
dsc03637o.jpg

There were so many other people out taking pictures even at 3am last night, but that Brighton for you, hordes of 'indie' fools walking about in a foot of snow in skinny jeans and trilbies :D
I did feel a bit sorry for the homeless guy I saw wrapped up in a sleeping bag under the walkway of the Bandstand though, poor guy.

Good covering of snow for last two days in some parts of Kent. :cool:
P1030205.jpg

P1030225.jpg

Yesterday just about managed the commute, but quickly gave up on any chance of doing the same today after taking a walk to check some main roads. :p

Makunouchi, all the hipsters were out this morning as well with the camera's, I was laughing at them on the walk in to work :D

Haha, brilliant, the best part is when they fall over on their boney arses because their obligatory Converse shoes have sod all grip on them but they refuse to wear anything less fashionable.

Sadly the snow seems to be melting from what I can see out of my window, god knows why though it's still freezing!

You can't just stick snow ploughs on buses or garbage trucks though.

As I pointed out in my post. In Canada they use the big snow ploughs for clearing stuff like Motorways. You can't have a snow plough pushing through a town center, pushing snow all onto the pavement, where there could also be people walking by.

As I said, they will typically use JCB type machines for those kind of tasks. Yes we have those, but most of them are owned by plant hire companies who again aren't going to give them out for free.

The thing is, there are lots of other ways, aside from just ploughing snow that could make peoples lives easier if winters get worse. Make winter tyres mandatory up North... carry snow chains... etc...

The grit trucks i've seen have all had ploughs on the front though and they have been clearing all the A roads i've been on as well as main roads in the towns. I'm not sure why something similar couldn't be made to attach to other council owned vehicles. I'm not suggesting they clear all the side roads but at least it would help and the vehicles wouldn't stand idle for 11 months of the year.

Winter tyres should indeed be mandatory from probably Mid November until March regardless of snow but I just doubt it'll happen in this country. The best we could hope for is a "as of 2013" kind of deal to allow people to do it in their own time.

And as i've already said here, Snow chains for most are an expensive waste. If i bought some they would only be used to drive 200yards to the main road.

Something else that would make lives easier is getting some people in from more countries that deal with this stuff so much better every year and ask them what the hell we can do to keep the trains running on time. For the most part buses have been fine in and around my area but the trains are utterly utterly screwed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom