It's snowing

I cleared my drive, access to the road and the cars first thing this morning put down some rock salt, easy when it's light and fluffy with a plastic snow shovel, I'm now in front of my open fire with an old speckled hen watching the neighbours dig out all their frozen compact snow with heavy metal shovels.

There were a few guys out making some tracks to drive up this morning. Same ones that always do it, they never seem to go anywhere after either. Seemed like a bit of a wasted effort to me though, because most of the remaining snow had melted off the road by midday anyway so I expect if they'd left it the road wouldn't be much worse off.

Just the odd patch of snow left in the shade now, back to being a typical dull town now.

Went out for a drive out to deepest Essex, was fun being a rally driver ;)

397134_10150546084083163_620128162_9270534_926567237_n.jpg

430077_10150546089778163_620128162_9270594_1111718251_n.jpg

Here in Essex there was about 7 inches of snow last night. Most of it is still here, no point trying to get anywhere and I reckon the same will be true tomorrow.

Aha, a man what knows!

Wasn't aware the sleets were running - though I did know the juice was left on all night. I'm just miffed with the general public taking out their frustrations on station staff. We had a train sit down in my station at around 2300 last night, waited for half an hour, THEN tipped out. Joe public wasn't impressed, shouting /screaming/swearing at my colleague and demanding taxis and/or hotel accommodation.

Have a guess where I work...

I don't envy you working on stations, you have my sympathy. :p On the flip side though, I've heard of passengers thanking drivers who managed to get them home, or to the next station. But like you say, the majority leave a lot to be desired.

As for sleet trains, they were scheduled to run Saturday night, but obviously the snow came before that. The thought was there though.

Here in Essex there was about 7 inches of snow last night. Most of it is still here, no point trying to get anywhere and I reckon the same will be true tomorrow.

I live around the corner to you and it's still here. Good few inches remaining. Wondering what the trains will be like tomorrow, I will gauge whether to work from home when I wake up in the morning. It's not looking good though.

My girlfriend got stranded at her friends last night. My car was blocked in and I didn't trust myself to not bin hers. We spent ages ringing around taxi companies and eventually found one who would go out of the area. It's pretty grim :(

Tomorrow everything will just freeze which will cause even more problems.

Yeah that's what I'm expecting, lots of ice. I work in Brentwood on a hill and there's a very slim chance I'll make it in. It's notoriously bad when it's been snowing.

Just got home from my night shift and cleared/gritted a good 15m of our hill in the tyre tracks. Maybe people will be able to slow down enough to prolong that wonderful feeling of helplessness as they go down.

Lets see if the neighbours follow suit.

Very pleased to report that probably 70% of our hill was cleared by the residents today to allow cars and stuff to get up and down. There are a few patches where clearly those that live there enjoy sliding uncontrollably towards their death but the rest of them/us got most of it cleared up.

Seems we all bought snow shovels after last year just in case and it's worked out :)

Our road doesn't get gritted and so if we don't clear it and it doesn't warm up enough to melt it it can be there for days after its gone on the other roads.

Also nice to see that the council had our bins fully stocked with grit.

The drive home this morning and back to work tonight was a dream too. No bugger on the roads and its all just wet now rather than slippery. hopefully the temps stay up tonight so that it doesn't freeze too much.

Cycled to work and whilst crossing Orton Staunch took this piccie

snownene1.jpg

And when I got to work (I'd opted to be shunter for this shift)

snowlangdons1.jpg

The cycleways were treacherous so decided to use the roads through town on the way home

Funnily enough my friends and I were having this very conversation today. I mean, if your drive is on a slope the fair enough, but the majority were flat as can be. You just end up with a big pile of snow which will sit around for days!

20120205_210654_edit0.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom